Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas movies

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just caught "The Polar Express" on the tube a couple of nights ago. Never saw it before. I enjoyed it a lot, not my fave Xmas flick ever, but still fun. What struck me about it, tho, was how it was such an homage to mid century American culture. It's a grown man's reminiscence of childhood, which puts it somewhere in the 40's or 50's, in (what is now) rust belt Indiana. It's based on a steam train, which is synonymous with a 20th century Christmas tree, the city at the North Pole looks like a mid century American city (fantasized wildly), the pop songs playing in the background, the pneumatic tube, etc., etc., etc. I just heard a comment on the radio that our image of Christmas is so Victorian. I disagree, I think it's this mid century image. The "A Christmas Story" world.
Anyhow I'm getting the ball rolling on two topics here, one is this whole image of Christmas being so mid century (oh, yes, the display windows at Bloomingdale's have this as a theme, too), the other is: What are our favorite Christmas movies?
I guess we'll all say "It's a Wonderful Life", and "A Christmas Story". I'll toss in the wonderful BBC version of Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales", and a cartoon called "The Mousehole Cat". And of COURSE, "Holiday Inn."
I yield the floor.
Edit: Oh, geez. How could I forget the Alistair Simm version of A Christmas Carol, "Scrooge"?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A Christmas Story--I never get tired of seeing the cranky elves, the leg lamp, the boy with his tongue stuck the to flag pole, the sparks from the plug-in, or anything else. As I recall, that movie was nearly shelved. A Charlie Brown Christmas was nearly shelved as well.

Christmas Vacation was good, too--I love hating Todd, Margo, Cousin Eddie and Griswold's boss.

Kermez

A-List Customer
My Top 9 Favorite Christmas Movies:

9. Batman Returns
8. Elf
7. Home Alone 2
6. Home Alone
5. A Christmas Story
4. Christmas Vacation
3. Muppet Christmas Carol
2. Lethal Weapon
1. Die Hard

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"The Little Drummer Boy". That movie was always my favorite while growing up. I haven't seen it in years but I still think its a wonderful movie.

Edward

Bartender
RIOT said:
Mine.. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Now there is a work of cinematic genius.... and it's great for two holidays! ;)

I'm also a fan of It's a Wonderful Life. I especially adored the Christmas episode of Married with Children that parodied it.

I think my absolute favourite Christmas visual is a cartoon rather than a full length film - the short Peace on Earth - brings a lump to the throat every time. Especially now as - bizarrely - the sleeping baby squirrels remind me so much of my two kittens.

Cricket

Practically Family
I could go on forever here, but I am going to try not to.

Charlie Brown Christmas
Nightmare Before Christmas
Miracle om 34th Street
A Christmas Story
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol
Frosty the Snowman
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Santa Claus is Coming to Town

I just love the "Animagic" productions with the stop sequenced puppets. As a child, I couldn't wait when they started coming on television. I just hope they will continue to do it when my son is old enough to get just as excited.

In case they stop airing, I have them all on VHS from my childhood so I am prepared.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
"The Little Drummer Boy". That movie was always my favorite while growing up. I haven't seen it in years but I still think its a wonderful movie.

We watch that all the time. It's my husband's favorite too. And though we're not religious, it's very touching.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even though it's not a movie, the "Guess Who's Coming To Christmas" episode from the second season of Happy Days is pretty great.

funneman

Practically Family
The Bishops Wife

Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven.

Not my favorite but still a pretty intersting movie.

Great back-story about how Billy Wilder stepped in,
re-shot some scenes and saved the film from dying on
the vine.

If you have Comcast cable, it's in the On Demand section
of TCM this month.

Check it out.

I think I will always love Christmas Vacation.
I'll never hear Mele Kalikimaka the same way
again.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck. LOVE that movie!

Also love White Christmas and Holiday Inn, and of course, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer with Burl Ives.

RIOT

Practically Family
Edward said:
Now there is a work of cinematic genius.... and it's great for two holidays! ;)

Lock, Stock & Barrel mistakenly kidnapping the Easter Bunny always puts a smile on my face every time I see the movie this time of year.

Let me add, Joyeux Noel. Which has also been a must watch for me during this holiday season.

Nods to all those listed above with "A Christmas Story" out ahead for me. As a kid we listened to Jean Shepard's radio show on WOR in NY as I recall.

I do want to also say National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a very funny movie and addresses the whole season with family in mind. It's a touching movie too, especially if you've survive some family disasters on the Holidays.

We watched Miracle on 34th Street (The B&W one) and it still charms me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
We could go really crazy including favorite Chrisrmas episodes from TV shows. I remember one great Kojak episode, where all sorts of crimes happen all day long. But Kojak never loses his "Christmas cheer".

celtic

A-List Customer
flat-top said:
Traditional:
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Nontraditional:
The Ref
Eyes Wide Shut

ditto.

but don't forget

Nontraditional: