Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Food Traditions!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
We do hors d'oeuvres all night long. My littles sister actually gets a little testy if certain things are missing even though most of our tastes have otherwise grown up. Cheese dip, chicken wings, little smokies in my estimation could be given up or traded for stuffed mushrooms, bruschetta or a nice roast. But I don't think I will ever win that fight. It seems very 70s in a way I cannot explain.

That is exactly what my in-law's do! And I completely agree with you!lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Back home it was standard British type Christmas grub, roast turkey and a huge glazed Christmas ham, Christmas pudding with brandy butter, Christmas mince pies, trifle, usually a pavlova, and Christmas cake all washed down with a lot of beer.

Here it'll be pinnekjøtt, ribbe, lutefisk, and kald kveite over the Christmas period, all washed down with copious amounts of aquavit.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christmas eve we have basically Thanksgiving #2, except my mom likes to do something like a chicken or cornish hens. I just eat whatever doesn't have meat in it, and my mom fusses about it.

Christmas day we have been doing the same thing for years. Wake up around 9. My dad makes cappuccino for the four of us. We sit around bleary eyed and drink the coffee, eat cardamom bread. My mom has always made a cardamum bread wreath, frosted with icing and with some little cherries on top. (Aside - one year my brother and I bought my Dad a magnum of champagne for his October bday - his 60th. On Christmas day we popped it open and proceeded to drink champagne all day and night, from mimosas to bellinis. There was some left over the next day, but not much). Then, we all get our stockings and take turns grabbing something out of them. This all happens at the kitchen table.

This year it's in LA. Wonder how it will translate?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's always a big Christmas Dinner that we try to make sort of Dickensian. Roast goose, or roast beef with Yorkshire Pudding. Last year was a pork crown roast. I just got this year's standing rib roast about an hour ago - $7.99 a pound- Yay for On Sale, though I had to drive 45 minutes out to Amishland to get it.
Christmas morning for the past ten years or so, I get up and make several pans of brioche sticky buns, and take two or three buns around to each of the neighbors, which has made us part of their Christmas morning tradition! They watch for them now. Everyone is usually in their jammies when they answer the door.

I also usually try to make Andr?© Soltner's tart flambe at some point, which is creme fresh, bacon and onions baked on puff paste. We also like to have pickled herring, cheeses, some local Amishy stuff, and a stocked bar ready to go for snacking and hooching. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I also usually try to make Andr?© Soltner's tart flambe at some point, which is creme fresh, bacon and onions baked on puff paste. We also like to have pickled herring, cheeses, some local Amishy stuff, and a stocked bar ready to go for snacking and hooching.
scotrace - Can I come over to your place instead? That sounds delicious.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
I just got this year's standing rib roast about an hour ago - $7.99 a pound- Yay for On Sale, though I had to drive 45 minutes out to Amishland to get it.

I read this and for some reason in my head I said in my best midwestern accent "Oh gee, good deal there scotrace!" I had to shake my head to return to my normal voice and think "Meat prices have been insane lately, but that's the holidays for you I guess".

Flieger

Practically Family
Here in Sweden it's Christmas Eve that's the "big event" of Christmas. We start the Christmas dinner with pickled herring in various variants, smoked and/or pickled salmon, washed down with beer and spiced aquavit. This is followed with cold cuts, brawn, pat?©, dried, salted leg of mutton, pigs trotters. Then we bring in the big ham - The main course. We eat it together with a special flat bread that we soak in warm broth and mustard and apple sauce. If we still have room for it we eat spare ribs, meatballs, small sausages and potatoes. The brave ones actually manage to fit a portion of rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon.

Ahh... that's good eatin'! :D Merry Christmas!

/F

zaika

One Too Many
Christmas Eve is always with my dad's side of the family...for as long as I can remember. Gramma makes lefse, potatis korv, and krumkake along with the usual ham, cranberry sauce, some kind of jello dessert and a million other things. My uncle always brings a bottle of Laphroaig scotch. We eat and drink, eventually getting around to opening pressies. The youngest kid always hands them out to everyone, and we take turns opening them, making fun of the fact that Gramma gets all the women the same thing and the men the same thing. Like last year, the ladies got slippers and the men got sweatshirts. lol These things usually last until 11 p.m. Good times.
Then the next morning I go to my stepdad's house and we have Swedish pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, and open presents...and I usually nap. Then that night, Christmas dinner with my mom's side of the family. But this year will be different as my Grandma is in an Alzheimer's facility. I don't know quite what to do for her...but I think I'll spend the evening with her for sure.
Anyhoo...then on January 7th I celebrate Christmas at church and spend it with friends. :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Crisplock said:
:eek: Mike! I'm an ex-pat Seattlite as it were! I've lost my Stan Boreson tapes! I can't find him! He's not on I tunes, nor is Duffy Bishop's Latte Land.

Help!

THAT'S the name! Stan Boreson. I asked several people last night. "You know - that Norwegian comedian that had a show and was a Seattle institution like J.P. Patches!"

And Duffy's a good friend of a friend of ours. I seem to arrive at her parties right after Duffy leaves, or have to leave just before Duffy arrives.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
For Christmas, I always have all my family near me!! So we eat "foie gras", smoked salmon, oysters... As a main course we have a big chicken lol (sorry I can't find the word in english lol, but in french it's called "chapon"), with mashed potatoes and a lot of vegetables. After that we have cheese, and then a famous christmas dessert called "b?ªche"...
For New year's eve I celebrate it with my family, and most of the time she makes her "scallops gratin"!! It's fabulous!! And of course we have Champagne lol!!!!!!!!!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My family does not actually believe in -celebrating- Christmas (although they do believe in Christ and so forth...but the Bible does not say to celebrate it as a feast day).

Anyhow...we have a family lunch on the 25th...but thats it. No trees...sometimes presents.

When I was younger, it was turkey, until we got tired of having turkey two months in a row. Then for many years it was Shashlik, marinated lamb cooked on skewers.

this year I think its just a lamb roast....

Nothing on the 24th...etc.

pgoat

One Too Many
A friend of ours who is German used to get chocolate rum balls made from scratch by her uma every xmas - they were pretty dang amazing

zaika

One Too Many
pgoat said:
A friend of ours who is German used to get chocolate rum balls made from scratch by her uma every xmas - they were pretty dang amazing

someone brought those to work and boy...we were all very jolly indeed. lol

Hondo

One Too Many
I like the salmon and cream cheese, thats tasty, well I got an invite to ham dinner for Christmas eve, mosts Christmas dinners are turkey.
For New Years eve, I'll go for a change of pace, having Chinese food, Peking Duck, and cheap Champaign (cold duck anyone?) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80