Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Jacket No 2 - Alexanders Leathers "Donkey Jacket"

Plumbline

One Too Many
Bought this as a bit of a whim and I really like it - had one back in the 80's. This one is a bit classier with Melton Wool construction and Black Goat reinforcement. Two inner pockets and cotton drill lining. Size is a 42" with 1" off the arms and length.

Really nice and light to wear and warm ... based on the "sack coat" concept from the turn of the Century the "Donkey Jacket" has been around for ... well err ... donkeys years :)

As with previous Alexanders posts .. no company bashing please and also re. fit ... I like the fit, I don't need comments on fit thanks.

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

Dav

One Too Many
I like that, PL. Used to be my jacket of choice, if I had one, for school, back in the day. Just don't think I'd wear one now though, too many leathers! :)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 'Donkey Jacket'...had one back in the 80's too and painted 'King Kurt' on the back! Nowhere near as nice as yours though :) Wore it on my Vespa and was most offended when people called me a 'Mod' :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Mine originally had a "Stuart Tartan" lining ..... got it in "Army Navy Stores" in Glasgow ... lasted 4 years of Uni and numerous pub gigs .... the lining had given up the ghost by '87 and I had a little bit more cash ... so I bought a Schott Peacoat and I still have it :)

Makes me feel a little bit more youthful wearing it ........

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 'Donkey' got traded at a party in the late 80's for a number of 'King Kurt' singles with a 'punk'..might go and see 'King Kurt' in 2015 at the IOW scooter rally :-D

LouisBailie

Banned
Bought this as a bit of a whim and I really like it - had one back in the 80's. This one is a bit classier with Melton Wool construction and Black Goat reinforcement. Two inner pockets and cotton drill lining. Size is a 42" with 1" off the arms and length.

Really nice and light to wear and warm ... based on the "sack coat" concept from the turn of the Century the "Donkey Jacket" has been around for ... well err ... donkeys years :)

As with previous Alexanders posts .. no company bashing please and also re. fit ... I like the fit, I don't need comments on fit thanks.

View attachment 21896

View attachment 21897

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

could you rotate your monitor 90 degrees to the right for us older people.

LouisBailie

Banned

View attachment 21896

View attachment 21897

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

could you rotate your camera 90 degrees to the right for us older people.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The "Sack Coat" or what we know in the UK as a "Donkey Jacket" ... originated as the original workmans jacket from the late 1800's and early 1900's simple design and of tough wearing yet warm woolen material. It gained the leather shoulder and back panel in 1929 along with the cuff reinforcement and the leather elbow panels and was a favourite where I grew up in Glasgow with dockers, shipyard workers ( most of my family) and workers in the coal industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_jacket

The name "donkey" comes from the donkey engines used in the cranes and ships and mines in said areas ( there is also an unfounded etymological origin in that people who wore said jackets often did "donkey work" )

It's a very practical coat ...... sort of half way between no coat and peacoat ... which has stood the test of time for almost 100 years ... an icon of the working classes so to speak :D

Meerkat

Familiar Face
The "Sack Coat" or what we know in the UK as a "Donkey Jacket" ... originated as the original workmans jacket from the late 1800's and early 1900's simple design and of tough wearing yet warm woolen material. It gained the leather shoulder and back panel in 1929 along with the cuff reinforcement and the leather elbow panels and was a favourite where I grew up in Glasgow with dockers, shipyard workers ( most of my family) and workers in the coal industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_jacket

The name "donkey" comes from the donkey engines used in the cranes and ships and mines in said areas ( there is also an unfounded etymological origin in that people who wore said jackets often did "donkey work" )

It's a very practical coat ...... sort of half way between no coat and peacoat ... which has stood the test of time for almost 100 years ... an icon of the working classes so to speak :D
Also a favourite with County Council roadworkers over here...happy nostalgic memories of shovel leaning donkey jackets...think they cost around 30 bob each....my mother would'nt let me have one sigh

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
One of my favourite versatile winter jackets, I have a few, including an ex- London Council grave-digger one (!) with the pvc shoulders and a plain all wool one made by one of the best original makers, Arthur Miller. Have been looking for a true vintage one with leather shoulders but they are hard to find now. Have worn them since my punk days and they never look dated. When LVC copied them but in a much lighter wool at a hefty £300 a few years back it seemed to have become more an expensive fashion jacket for a while. That's a nice example you are showing too.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Australian version is called a Bluey. I have a mint vintage Bluey. They were as Australian as an Akubra. Saw them all the time even 30-40 years ago, now you can't really get them anymore except at thrift shops. Great jacket worn by dock workers, builders and writers. Our version doesn't have the leather/vinyl shoulders and I prefer the no leather look myself. It's what I'm used to.

Bluey2.JPG

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
have a look at the wiki link Worf ... the "sack coat" was used by soldiers and railroad workers during the US Civil War ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner