Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy's of London

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I'm considering picking up one or two of these for 'basher' purposes. I don't like risking my old Borsalino, my Mayer or even my Bailey at the dancing - onstage they're safe, but on the dancefloor young ladies frequently want to pick hats off from one's napper and try them on - often dropping them in the process! Alas, dancefloors in Glasgow are often quite unsavoury, and riddled with stomping feet (but one would be a bounder if he refused a ladies' request to try on his hat)! :eusa_doh:

Was thinking of going for the Foldaway (it'll be softer, I don't want the by-all-accounts awful glued on leather sweatband and since its open crown I can shape it to my heart's content) in light grey with more of a Wincanton style 1 1/2 inch black ribbon (which I'll sew on myself). What's left to go wrong then?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Fly Boy said:
I'm considering picking up one or two of these for 'basher' purposes.....Was thinking of going for the Foldaway (it'll be softer, I don't want the by-all-accounts awful glued on leather sweatband and since its open crown I can shape it to my heart's content) in light grey with more of a Wincanton style 1 1/2 inch black ribbon (which I'll sew on myself). What's left to go wrong then?

I say go with the adventurer model, modified to your specifications. the sweatband is stitched on. and the crown is higher.

also christy's informed me that they have a black grosgrain ribbon in 2 inch width as well as the standards they offer. all other colors max out at 1.5 inches wide.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
I say go with the adventurer model, modified to your specifications. the sweatband is stitched on. and the crown is higher.

also christy's informed me that they have a black grosgrain ribbon in 2 inch width as well as the standards they offer. all other colors max out at 1.5 inches wide.

Thanks for the info. I'd no idea they had 2-inch ribbon - much more my heart's desire! Bravo sir! :eusa_clap

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Fly Boy said:
(but one would be a bounder if he refused a ladies' request to try on his hat)! :eusa_doh:

Surely he's already something of a bounder to be dancing in his hat in the first place... ;)

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Fly Boy said:
Thanks for the info. I'd no idea they had 2-inch ribbon - much more my heart's desire! Bravo sir! :eusa_clap

I emailed them and asked specifically, I was informed that ONLY black is offered in the 2 inch. best to confirm this before placing an order, as that was several months ago.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Okay got fabric swatches this morning - still working on the dimensions - thinking a light grey adventurer (it's a nice, blueish colour) with a crown height of 5 1/4" (1/4" taller than my Borsalino, I don't think any taller would suit me) with 2" black ribbon (to be sewn on by myself), 2 1/2" brim front and back, 2 1/4" on the sides. How does that sound to everyone? Wanting to avoid too wide a brim.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
my thoughts

1) don't under-estimate the value of extra crown; the default 5.75 inches may be a tad tall for some people. but it does offer extra material for bashing; go with your gut on this one.

2) mine is the standard brim dimensions 3 inch x 2.5. I have mixed feelings about the dimensional brim concept. why not do 2 and 3/8" all around?

i don't know what their grey grosgrain looks like. i was considering a grey adventurer with grey brim binding and ribbon; but don't know how it will look.

There are numerous photos buried on this site with the black grosgrain, pretty safe choice.

Of note...this is a hunch, but I think Patrick, in EastEnders wears a bessemer colored trilby made by Christys. If so, then Bessemer is a sharp color :-D

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
1) don't under-estimate the value of extra crown; the default 5.75 inches may be a tad tall for some people. but it does offer extra material for bashing; go with your gut on this one.

2) mine is the standard brim dimensions 3 inch x 2.5. I have mixed feelings about the dimensional brim concept. why not do 2 and 3/8" all around?

i don't know what their grey grosgrain looks like. i was considering a grey adventurer with grey brim binding and ribbon; but don't know how it will look.

There are numerous photos buried on this site with the black grosgrain, pretty safe choice.

Of note...this is a hunch, but I think Patrick, in EastEnders wears a bessemer colored trilby made by Christys. If so, then Bessemer is a sharp color :-D

Thanks, I'm not sure about the dimensional brim myself - all of mine have a constant width. Perhaps 2 3/8" would be the better option. I could always cut it down.

The bessemer sample I have here is quite close to the black. Quite possibly the 'Pat Hat' colour! :) It'd look great on a gumshoe. The light grey is actually more of a medium grey, with the tiniest hint of petrol blue, rather than that awful 'wedding top hat' grey.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the Hornets Hats website, I'm kind of liking what I see there. Relatively low prices and an opportunity for customization. Does anyone have rain experience with any Christy's hats? I would like to know how they fair in rainy weather, as that is a major consideration on purchasing a hat in my opinion. I wear my hats in the rain, and would rather not worry much about the quality of the felt afterwards. On another note, Christy's seems to offer a couple of hats similar to the James Bond trilby (as seen on Sean Connery and George Lazenby), notably the Epsom and Sportsman models. I may be interested in a beige version of the Epsom, in particular.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking at the Hornets Hats website, I'm kind of liking what I see there. Relatively low prices and an opportunity for customization. Does anyone have rain experience with any Christy's hats? I would like to know how they fair in rainy weather, as that is a major consideration on purchasing a hat in my opinion. I wear my hats in the rain, and would rather not worry much about the quality of the felt afterwards. On another note, Christy's seems to offer a couple of hats similar to the James Bond trilby (as seen on Sean Connery and George Lazenby), notably the Epsom and Sportsman models. I may be interested in a beige version of the Epsom, in particular.

I like that site quite a bit, quite a bit. Great color selection, and they have a shape that I like. The only holdup is extreme lack of hat money lately. A pity, because they have the least expensive good dress hats on the market, it seems to me. Another site I like is RMR hats in Italy.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family

I inquired about another hat from Hornets just before the holidays, and they replied that they are no longer able to offer customizations as Christys won't do them. Pity, because I would have ordered another Adventurer after the holiday rush. Sarah at Hornets did advise that they would be offering a Christys exclusive that might be closer to what I was looking for (tall crown, non-dimensional wide brim) but couldn't say when it would be available.

I might still order an Adventurer and have someone over here trim the brim and do a different ribbon treatment. I love my green one.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have several Christy's and they hold up well in rain. And they will let you pick different ribbons, and on some they'll trim the brim for you (as of last month when I emailed Sarah).

Torpedo

One Too Many
It seems there is some controversy about how (modern) Christy's hats stand water. I have read quite a few opinions about them not being very though, because of the quality of felt, and so, prone to tapering and even shrinking; others hold them in better regard, just read Blackthorn's posting above. It looks like mileage may vary; possibly different felt lots may play a part. Certainly they have a good price, which would seem to be appropriate for the quality.

MJH

New in Town
I too was told by Hornets Hats that they can no longer offer customisations, but that they have a new hat just for them coming out soon, which may well fit what I want. I tried going direct to Christys - it seems you can now buy direct from them - but the website was appalling, hats were more expensive and no-one replied to my email. Most of the problems I've read about fellow loungers buying Christys' hats from other retailers have been caused by Christys themselves messing up. I will return to Hornets Hats and wait in anticipation for their new hat! I also read on their Facebook page that they had some 'secrets' so maybe they have more than 1 new hat on the way!

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
I too was told by Hornets Hats that they can no longer offer customisations, but that they have a new hat just for them coming out soon, which may well fit what I want. I tried going direct to Christys - it seems you can now buy direct from them - but the website was appalling, hats were more expensive and no-one replied to my email. Most of the problems I've read about fellow loungers buying Christys' hats from other retailers have been caused by Christys themselves messing up. I will return to Hornets Hats and wait in anticipation for their new hat! I also read on their Facebook page that they had some 'secrets' so maybe they have more than 1 new hat on the way!

Interesting.

As I have been in discussion with them with regards to supplying me with bodies through christys'. I have re-blocked a few Adventurers ( Hard ) , put new sweats in and a new band, about only 4 in total just for close freinds. Just to extend my hobby really - This I have done with a freind of mine who shares the same interest. We embossed "Hornets Deluxe" in the sweat for a laugh. Which we stopped doing immediately.

It's all very good. But there's no point in putting the same quality hat on the market that uses the same felt. On any factory made hat ( with few exceptions ) you will have compromise. Taper - sweat and so on. You will read many notes in the threads about the felt qaulity. And the Money for the hats is Bang on. They are very - very good purely because of the impeccable service from Hornets. They are a good hat to keep you going for when you save your pennies for great hat that will last a decade, and possibly further.

I know far too much about christys for my own good so I'll stop here.

The state of British hats is in such a poor way at this moment I hope it's a good one.

MJH

New in Town
Intriguing - what do you know about Christys?! I must say I quite like their fur felt itself - nice and thin and mine have held up just fine in the rain (although I don't really wear them in bad rain). Shame they get so much wrong with their service! We need the UK to have something to be proud of with both product and service. I have also received impeccable service from Hornets Hats so hope their new hat/s is a good one! Does anyone know when it's due out or if there are to be more than one?

It's interesting to hear that you're putting together your own hats. What a hobby! Do you need a lot of tools? I wouldn't know where to start!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21