Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy's of London

Tone

A-List Customer
The little one in my avatar is me, and I'm wearing a hat.

lol

It's alright. I have a pretty good idea of which crease ended up in the FED IV. (They should run them pre-creased that way.) :)
But doesn't that Imperial felt feel sturdy, though?!

Foldaway order update...

Earlier on I posted about placing an order thru Hornet Hats for a Christy's Foldaway in color Burma with a 2 5/8 inch brim. I was quickly informed by Sarah that my desired modification was sent it but that Christy's was out of Burma felt & expecting resupply by the end of November. Last week, I asked Sarah for an update & here is the exchange, starting with her reply this morning...
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 5:26AM

Dear Mr Dean,

I have now heard from Christys who have apologised profusely for the delay with your order. It seems there was some mix-up between the departments. Your order has been taken directly to the hatter to make and will be dispatched as soon as possible. I am so sorry you have had to wait so long.

Many, many apologies,

Sarah

Tom Dean wrote:
Sarah,
Please let me know what you find out.
Regards,
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:58 AM

Dear Mr Dean,

I'm afraid I have not yet heard from Christys regarding the status of your order. I have contacted them again this morning so should hear back from them soon.

With kind regards,

Sarah
Tom Dean wrote:
Any news from Christys?
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:45 AM

Dear Mr Dean,

I am so sorry for such a long delay with your order. I know that Christys have now received the Burma Fur Felt they were waiting for and so I'm sure your order will be dispatched shortly. I will contact Christys today to check that this is the case.

Many apologies.

With kind regards,

Sarah Hind
Tom Dean wrote:
Any update on this hat?

frussell

One Too Many
That's no fun.

Wow, they really dropped the ball with your order. You are a more patient man than I. I hope you get your order soon, and more importantly, it is the right size. Hopefully you did not wait all this time to receive a tight hat like I did. Poor Sarah, she seems to be making a lot of apologies lately. Frank.

frussell said:
Wow, they really dropped the ball with your order. You are a more patient man than I. I hope you get your order soon, and more importantly, it is the right size. Hopefully you did not wait all this time to receive a tight hat like I did. Poor Sarah, she seems to be making a lot of apologies lately. Frank.
I do too Frank. Thanks.
I'm in no real hurry & I don't think I stated this earlier. I went with the Foldaway with the storage tube mainly for a hat that I can put in my motorcycle saddlebags & put on when I take my helmet off. I have a ball cap in there now that doesn't need any protection but I tried a wool crusher that didn't come out as I'm hoping the Foldaway does per examples here in the Lounge. Sizewise, I hope the cloth sweatband helps with that concern but have a stretcher ready & waiting.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I had similar issues, with Christy's not making or sending half of my order. I eventually got it after 8-9 weeks. I must admit, I was especially frustrated that no compensation was offered, at least for shipping.

However, the hat that arrived was at least the right size (or rather, a tiny bit loose, but I prefer that with Christy's - I pad a little inside the sweatband, and it prevents the badly done sweatband stitching from touching my forehead).

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My first foldaway was too dark by far, and although I wear a 60 (or 7 1/2) Stetson, the foldaway that arrived practically swam on my head. So I ordered a beige one in 59, and when it came it was the perfect size and color. I'm glad I tried a second time.

They also put a dark brown ribbon on it for me, per my request after ordering.

I really like the foldaway for traveling. At least when you get to your destination you have a somewhat decent hat. It's not a Stetson or an Akubra, but it'll do.

Now you've got me concern again, Blackthorn. I am a 24", 7 5/8 LO so I ordered a 61. Others talked about being too small. Guess I'd better get the sweatband padding out, got some stored up from 3 Akubra Campdrafts. I do some air travel for work & may be doing more in the coming year, so having a hat I can put in the tube & stick in my luggage is another reason I went with the Foldaway. I considered Akubra's Traveler but liked the tube idea from Christy's.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Well, GTD, I just thought I'd post my experience to round out the discussion after reading frussell's experience. His was too small, mine was too big. I think they have a lot of inconsistency, but I really like the end product and I think it was worth my effort. Last month I stuck mine into the red tube, put that in a suitcase and flew to Bangladesh. After taking it from the tube and pulling it into shape, it looked good. It was just as good after the long return trip. I love this foldaway design.

frussell

One Too Many
Foldaway/Adventurer

No worries gtd, seems like the foldaway and the Adventurer are two different animals. A whole different set of concerns, but the cloth sweat should help. Much as I love that Christy's felt, I believe I'm done with spending any money with them. I hope your hat is absolutely perfect, you deserve nothing less for being so patient. Frank

The Hat is in the Mail...

Latest email from Sarah of Hornet Hats...
Dear Mr Dean,

Your order was sent yesterday by Royal Mail so hopefully you will receive it soon.

My sincere apologies for the long delay. I hope you will be happy with the hat.

Best wishes for Christmas from all at Hornets.

With kind regards,

Sarah

frussell said:
GTD - did you get your Christy's yet, or did I miss the photos on another thread? I've got my fingers crossed for you. Frank.
Wasn't in yesterday's deliveries, need to check tonight's. Thanks Frank.
I did get an email from Sarah again that Christy's didn't know for sure if they sent a tube with my hat so they sent another just in case! [huh]
Stay tuned....

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Well, I am quite pleased -

Dear Mr XXXXX,

A new hat made to your specifications is now on its way to you. Christys made the hat to 63cm as the 62cm was too small. Due to the problems you have encountered we will not be asking you to return the incorrect hat on this occasion. I do hope you will be happy with the new hat and can only apologise for the problems with your order.

Best wishes for Christmas from all at Hornets Hats.

With kind regards,

Sarah

frussell

One Too Many
Great Service?

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. Given all the problems that GTD, Mr. Lucky, myself and others have had with their orders, I would say that great service is not what we've been given. Great service to me is good communication, prompt delivery, notification if something is not in stock or on backorder, and getting major things like sizing correct the FIRST time around. Hornets seems to be playing catch up and apologizing quite a bit lately. I'm happy for Mr. Lucky though, at least they are making amends to one customer. Frank

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
you arent alone

I ordered mine thru ascot top hats. christys delayed his orders and help up all of his work , and my hat!

Christy's should get their act together.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm with frussell. Hornet Hats' service, in a word, sucks! Based on what I've learned on this thread and others, I would never do business with them.

I'm seriously considering getting a Foldaway for my cool-weather yard hat. Sounds crazy, I know, but the burma brown color is highly lawnlike--read: does not readily show soil, and I DO mean soil. But the main reasons are the relative thinness of the felt--I work up a serious sweat even in F 30-something-degree temps--and that it's very pliable--when the inevitable limb or rake handle smacks the brim, it'll give instead of being knocked off my head. I also like the way you take take a crushable off and thrash it against your thigh to clear the dust out and not have to worry about it.

The Fedora Store has the Chrystys Fur Felt Foldaway for $189 with free shipping right now--well worth the premium if hassle has a price.

Tone

A-List Customer
No, that actually IS good service.

Mr. Lucky said:
Well, I am quite pleased -

Dear Mr XXXXX,

A new hat made to your specifications is now on its way to you. Christys made the hat to 63cm as the 62cm was too small. Due to the problems you have encountered we will not be asking you to return the incorrect hat on this occasion. I do hope you will be happy with the new hat and can only apologise for the problems with your order.

Best wishes for Christmas from all at Hornets Hats.

With kind regards,

Sarah

It appears that you contacted them about the issue - giving them the opportunity to rectify the matter - and they have taken the steps to make it right. That IS good service.

Nice to see you posting a positive response on the subject instead of the typical "talk it down" campaign. ;) That is good service. Hope the second one turns out nicely.

How's the first one looking on you in the meantime?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
AlterEgo said:
I'm with frussell. Hornet Hats' service, in a word, sucks! Based on what I've learned on this thread and others, I would never do business with them.

I'm seriously considering getting a Foldaway for my cool-weather yard hat. Sounds crazy, I know, but the burma brown color is highly lawnlike--read: does not readily show soil, and I DO mean soil. But the main reasons are the relative thinness of the felt--I work up a serious sweat even in F 30-something-degree temps--and that it's very pliable--when the inevitable limb or rake handle smacks the brim, it'll give instead of being knocked off my head. I also like the way you take take a crushable off and thrash it against your thigh to clear the dust out and not have to worry about it.

The Fedora Store has the Chrystys Fur Felt Foldaway for $189 with free shipping right now--well worth the premium if hassle has a price.
I have to tell you that the Foldaway does not have a soft brim. Yes, it is foldable when snapped down at the back and rolled up, but it is surprisingly stiff. The crown is extremely soft, but should anything hit into the brim it will not give.

I know it sounds ironic for a foldable hat to have a stiff brim, but just so you don't end up disappointed when you get one. I don't personally have one but I analysed a whole stack of them at Hornets when I was in London in July.

Lokar

A-List Customer
frussell said:
I'm sorry, I have to disagree. Given all the problems that GTD, Mr. Lucky, myself and others have had with their orders, I would say that great service is not what we've been given. Great service to me is good communication, prompt delivery, notification if something is not in stock or on backorder, and getting major things like sizing correct the FIRST time around. Hornets seems to be playing catch up and apologizing quite a bit lately. I'm happy for Mr. Lucky though, at least they are making amends to one customer. Frank

I don't mean Hornets in general have great service; I've had either mediocre or poor results with them with my purchases. I just meant specifically letting him keep the other hat (which, even if it's just making amends, is still great service).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR