Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigar Question

poetman

A-List Customer
A friend just introduced me to the world of cigars--I've had a few I've enjoyed thus far, but I have a rookie question. As one whose never smoked, how do I know if I'm smoking the cigar properly? I know I'm not supposed to inhale (take into my lungs), but when you drag on the cigar, how do you keep it from going into your lungs? When I inhale, isn't the smoke going into my lungs?

Thanks!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Think like you are drinking through a straw. Same deal, suction into the mouth, but not inhaling (otherwise you would choke on milk as a child.)

Boodles

A-List Customer
Methinks if you happen to inhale cigar smoke you'll know it and know not to do so again. As for how to smoke cigars my only advice is to take your time with the thing and enjoy it. Don't draw on it so fast that it goes like a cannon fuse. Some friends of mine will smoke a $10 cigar as fast as they swill down my good bourbon. These people have the metabolic rate of a gerbil.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
A friend just introduced me to the world of cigars--I've had a few I've enjoyed thus far, but I have a rookie question. As one whose never smoked, how do I know if I'm smoking the cigar properly?
Thanks!
If you burn your lips or fingers it is probably wrong. The exception would be a cigar so good you can't bear to put it out. if you enjoyed a good cigar then you did it right. There are a lot of cigar review sites that will give "savoring" tips or you can try to glean them from the individual cigars reviews themselves. I'm sure there really are some people that taste the thirty odd flavors they claim to taste in a really fine cigar but I am not one. Relax and enjoy the filthy habit will grow on you. Just remember that for every two boxes of fine cigars you buy you could have gotten a custom VS from Art:eusa_doh: Pardon me now while I go light up and pour myself a little rum.
Tom D.

FinnSpinn

New in Town
It is usually the cigarette smokers that have trouble with cigar smoking. They are used to and accustomed to inhaling. Just try not to.

Here are some more tips: do not light up with a zippo, match or a candle, unless you like the taste of gasoline, sulphur or parafine. Snobs prefer a stick of ceder, but a gas lighter is fine. A cigar wil stink up your place: vent or smoke outside. Bigger is better. Stay away from the cheap stuff: a good cigar wil cost you some, but will last you a good while, and is well worth it. Enjoy!

Finn.

Allen

New in Town
Finn- you wont get a sulphur-like taste if you allow the head of the match to burn off first before lighting.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Also, take your time when smoking it. Don't be in a rush or it will heat up and taste bitter. It's OK if it goes out, just relight it. I have to relight 2-3 times on most cigars. Make sure you take the smoke into your mouth and let it swirl around like a fine wine or brandy.

Start with a lighter cigar like a Dominican Republic or Honduran and build up to the heavier Cuban ones.

Also as a newbie, don't go crazy buying an expensive gas lighter. Believe it or not, most hardware stores will carry pocket torches for small welding jobs. They are 7-15 dollars and run on gas. They won't stink up your cigar and will light it beautifully. Also, light the cigar by turning it around while holding the lighter a couple of inches away. Don't put it in your mouth until it is partially lit then pull gently on it while keeping the lighter a couple of inches away. When it is producing a good amount of smoke you are ready to enjoy it.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with the straw analogy. In stead of drawing a breath, try sucking it. Sucking and inhaling are 2 distinct actions. You suck the smoke into your mouth and hold it to savour it without inhaling into the lung. One trick I find useful is after you suck, blow some of the smoke out immediately, so you don't seem to be holding your breath. I on the other hand inhale the cigar smoke occasionally to get some stimulation to the lung but I have been smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes for some time.

rkwilker

One Too Many
While the idea is that you do not inhale the smoke, the truth is that you do although to a much less extent than with a cigarette. Take your time with a cigar and enjoy the experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran