Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Circa 1936 suit saleman's suitcase, samples, documents

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Goodwear Topcoat samples

All of these but one are a bit odd in that they are double sided: each side has a different pattern.

They appear to be two different pieces of material with different patterns somehow woven together. They cannot be seperated but there are two distinct levels. Very odd, very high quality. Thick and soft, though the single sample that is not dual layered is a tad thinner than the others.

Sample 1-

front:
001.jpg

back:
002.jpg

Sample 2-

front:
003.jpg

back:
004.jpg

Sample 3, this is the single layer fabric with only one pattern-

front:
005.jpg

tag:
006.jpg

Sample 4-

front:
007.jpg

back:
008.jpg

That's all for tonight. :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
No prob, I enjoy doing it.

Though my eyes are bleedin' from staring at the compy screen for too long. :p

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Worsteds

Now we move to suit fabrics, these being Worsteds. Soft but a little itchy. Note the very delicate, fine patterns and colors. Subtle.

Sample 1:
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Sample 2:
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Sample 3:
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Sample 4:
007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Sample 5:
009.jpg

010.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Worsteds continued...

Sample 1:
011.jpg

012.jpg

Sample 2, finely woven pattern. You won't see this in any modern fabric:
013.jpg

014.jpg

Sample 3:
015.jpg

016.jpg

Sample 4:
017.jpg

018.jpg

Sample 5:
019.jpg

020.jpg

More later. We haven't even gotten to the good stuff.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Worsteds continued...

Sample 1:
037.jpg

038.jpg

Sample 2:
039.jpg

040.jpg

Sample 3:
041.jpg

042.jpg

These last two are the best quality of all the worsteds in the Goodwear sample books. They are thin compared to the other samples but dense and soft.
Sample 4:
043.jpg

044.jpg

Sample 5:
045.jpg

046.jpg

That's it for tonight.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I may have overlooked this but are the fabric weights associated with these samples?

Unfortunately there are no weights attached to these little sample booklets. I'd guess these worsted are in the 10-12 oz. per yard range, some more and some less. Medium weight.

The overcoat samples at the top of this page are well over 15 oz. per yard.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
benstephens said:
It would be great to compare with some modern wool samples and see how close they are.

A close friend of mine has recently acquired a tailor's book of men's fashions from 1941 and it's full of all the swatches and illustrations... near mint condition... I have compared many fabrics of the era to modern fabric and the modern fabric always falls very short of the cloth of the 20s to the 60s!

There may be some out there that come close but look to pay $1,000.00 a yard for it!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
A close friend of mine has recently acquired a tailor's book of men's fashions from 1941 and it's full of all the swatches and illustrations... near mint condition... I have compared many fabrics of the era to modern fabric and the modern fabric always falls very short of the cloth of the 20s to the 60s!

There may be some out there that come close but look to pay $1,000.00 a yard for it!

You're 100% right, Mr. Forgotten.

Modern 'heavy' weight fabrics I've gotten my paws onto can't even compare to most of the vintage medium weight fabrics in this suitcase. It's the same story quality-wise in both the weave and patterns.
Modern fabrics just plain suck.

Where and when did we go wrong?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Where and when did we go wrong?

HellifIknow. It seems that the easier it gets to produce merchandise the harder it becomes to find quality. Ironic. In the era of your samples, people really had to put forth grand effort to achieve great results - and they did, without seemingly batting an eye. [huh]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
And we're back.
Some real nice fabrics in this next group, especially the cassimere.

Sample 1:
047.jpg

048.jpg

Sample 2:
049.jpg

050.jpg

Sample 3:
051.jpg

052.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
left samples detail:
005-6.jpg

Interesting that the first Irish linen swatch has a typical modern weave you can get from Irish suppliers today. The second is slubby almost like a Thai silk and then the bottom one is an "atomic" fabric but in 1936! I suspect that the bottom sample is an attempt to "Donegal-ize" a linen fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider