Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hat Makers List

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Adam

The Adam section is a bit misleading. I believe Miller Bros purchased Adam in the late 50's or early 60's, and the labels reflected the change. Also, "Fifth Avenue" was a quality level for Adam hats, but I don't think it was the brand name.

The brand name was Adam. Plain and simple.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Does this read better?

johnnyphi said:
The Adam section is a bit misleading. I believe Miller Bros purchased Adam in the late 50's or early 60's, and the labels reflected the change. Also, "Fifth Avenue" was a quality level for Adam hats, but I don't think it was the brand name.

The brand name was Adam. Plain and simple.

Adam
Adam Hats were produced as the budget brand of the day. None-the-less, the brand was very popular in the 1940s and 50s. One reason for that popularity was that Adam made a dependable hat for considerably less than the “big name” makers. They also made sure that they copied the styles of the most popular hat makers . . . and the “elite” models of the company, the Executive and the Aristocrat, were of a quality that could compete with Stetson, Knox and company.

They had a famous radio slogan "I love my man who wears an Adam Hat".

The company was acquired by Miller Brothers in the late 1950s or early 60s.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Old BEE HATS building in St. Louis.

314243981_4571fb94e9.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What a great photo of a clever architectural detail! :eusa_clap
Were you there, or did you find that one on the web?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I don't see DeSina listed anywhere. I hardly know anything about them, but they certainly make some interestingly classic looking lids.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
How is it that we have almost nothing on Schoble. Johnnyphi has (had) quite a few of these and they seem pretty high end, yet no one seems to know anything about the company. Prior to the big sale, had anyone ever seen a Schoble? Does anyone have any information at all about this one? With so many of them now owned by Loungers, it would be great to learn more.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I checked a bit and found very little. The Schoble name was first used in 1886, and trademarked in 1945. The name, mark, and business were assigned to Joseph Kanner Hat Co., Inc., a Norwalk, Ct. corporation, in 1960. Kanner was bankrupt and well into the process of creditor appeals by 1973.

Oh, and here's a matchbook.
8049_1.JPG

That's all I've got.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A few hat makers you missed out (I think):

Dorfman Pacific, opened in 1921, currently holds the rights to the Indiana Jones hats although they have no right to since they had nothing to do with the films and their hats lack the quality and look of a proper Indy fedora

Franz Bittner, based in Austria or Germany, makes Loden hats (specialsed alpine thick water resistant wool felt)

Jaxon, American hat maker, apparently makes fairly good hats for a low price ($68 for pure fur felt)

Wegener Headwear, based in Hessen, Germany, makes good fur and wool hats in a traditional style

I couldn't find these on the amazing list. Incidentally, you spelled Tilley "Tilly" while the correct name is "Tilley".

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
How is it that we have almost nothing on Schoble. Johnnyphi has (had) quite a few of these and they seem pretty high end, yet no one seems to know anything about the company. Prior to the big sale, had anyone ever seen a Schoble? Does anyone have any information at all about this one? With so many of them now owned by Loungers, it would be great to learn more.

Here is a pic of the Frank Schoble building:

fschoble.jpg

I think I read somewhere that he died after being run over by a horse and buggy. EDIT: he was struck by an automobile in 1933. The article is on the NY Times page, but you have to purchase it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider