Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hat Makers List

R&M Wegener Hutfabrik

R&M Wegener Lauterbach, Germany not listed.

For over 190 years R&M Wegener (Headwear) has been an address for all kind of headwear for ladies, men and children. With skilled and trained staff of about 100 employees in the middle of Germany, Wegener produces headwear fashion and accessoires. Various materials are able to be turned into finest headwear: top hats, western hats, hats of fur felt as well as sport caps, fabric hats and fashionable ladies hats - from straw to fur felt. On about 9000 sqm Wegener's production and stock site are located in Lauterbach/Germany. Due to the good geographical situation many retailers, wholesellers and customers are visiting the facilities.
History
The first development of the company took place in very rough times. But all general managers in charge always knew exactly what to do and therefore were able to carry on their successful business policy. In 1816, a gentleman called Nicolaus Hinrich Dubbers founded the hat company in Hamburg/Germany. 1867 the trading company N.H. Dubbers was registerd in Altona/Hamburg. Owners in those times were Johann end Eduard Dubbers and Theodor Ferdinand Wegener. His sons, Robert and Maximilian Wegener, took over the management in 1884. The problem during this period of time was that the average salary in Hamburg had been increasing rapidly and therefore they decided to move the factory to Blitzenrod/Lauterbach located in Hesse. The surroundings were a big advantage due to the fact that they were able to build a powerplant for electricity run by water power which still exists and is being used. Officially the company started producing its products in May 1885. Besides that, building eight large family houses for the workers families was one of the major projects. In April 1888, after Nicolaus Dubbers left the company, it changed its name to "R&M Wegener GmbH & Co. KG". In 1904, with the age of 59, Robert Wegener left the company and both of his sons, Edgar and Kurt Wegener, took over the management.
Between the two world wars the company built more houses which its employees were able to live in for very little rent.
With this method and other social projects the company provided their employees, a very personal and close relationship grew between them and the management which can still be found today.
During the second World War Edgar Wegener died and his brother Kurt took over the mangement.
With him the company grew and expanded its sales rapidly throughout Europe.
He was general manager for a long time in Lauterbach before he left the company with the age of 80.

His sons Klaus Theodor Wegener and Hans Wegener took over the management after 1945.

Klaus Theodor Wegener was responsible for initiating the extraordinay relationships to several hat companies in the United States and after working in Dallas/Texas at Resistol, R&M Wegener was granted the licence to produce Resitol hats in Germany from 1958 onwards. Till the 4th of September 1966, Klaus and Hans both managed the company in the fourth generation. But in the evening of that day Klaus Theodor Wegener tragically died with the age of only 46 in a car accident. He had two sons, Hans Theodor and Dirk Wegener, who were born 1949 and 1952. Today his oldest son Hans Theodor Wegener is the general manager of the company in Lauterbach/Hessen.
With him the company grew and was able to celebrate many successes such as the supply of hats for the German olympic team. Because of Hans Theodor Wegener and his employees, the company is now very well-known on the international fashion market and sells its products to nearly every country in the world.

Today R.&M. Wegener is a modern, rationalized company as well as still owned by the same family since over 190 years.

http://wegener-headwear.de/en/aboutus.html

wegantik2.jpg

Some other companies not listed

Brüder Böhm Vienna (Austria), Nový Jičín (Czechoslovakia)

The Brüder Böhm company was established in 1848 in Vienna , and 19xx - Advertising-window-bust of Brüder Böhm Hüte company in Wien(Vienna)from the 19th of November, it became a Bruder Bohm - poster public business association. The first members were Bernhard and Naphtali Böhm. In 1880 their sons Jindrich, Zikmund and Leopold, who were studying hat making in England, became associates. In 1884 Brothers Böhm established a branch in Prague-Bubenec. Although manufacturing continued in Vienna , the Prague branch grew and employed up to 1200 workers. In 1897, Vienna's famous soccer club "SK Rapid Wien" originated in the Vienna branch of the Böhm factory, as the 1st players and coaches were workers and (English) engineers in the Böhm factory. In 1906 the Böhm factory was the 2nd largest of its kind in Vienna (after Harbig) with about 400 producers, suppliers and dealers.

In 1906 brothers Schlesinger built a factory for hat making in Nový Jičín (Neutitschein). This factory was in today’s Luzicka street. Viktor Böhm, with the help of Mr. Kolba, a citizen of Nový Jičín, established a factory across from the Schlesinger factory, where they implemented innovations/inventions in hat making machines.

The company was called Globus and the machines invented and made by Viktor Böhm were internationaly renowned. Viktor Böhm with Moric Schlesinger made an association in 1912 named Böhm & Schlesinger. They made conical šišáky (semi-finished goods) and other hats. In 1912 they also built a new factory for hat making, which was on Roseggergasse, todays Luzicka street (map).

Disputes between associates in 1916 lead to dissolution of the association and the factory went to the family Böhm. After WW-I, manufacturing continued and in 1922 the factory Brüder Böhm became independent. In the upper factory they made "šišáky" (semi-finished goods) and in lower factory they made hats *source of Böhm logo www.textil-info.cz
huckel Tonak
Before WW-II they had 1729 workers. About 2/3 of the hats went for export to USA, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. In 1938 the owners were trying to transfer the factory into Czech ownership, but they didn't manage to complete that and the company was put under German management. In 1941 it was sold (by whom?) to the HÜCKEL company *see Profit.czČeský article, the largest Nový Jičín hat company. In 1945 the Hückel factory was expropriated, the family fled Czechoslovakia and the factory was renamed TONAK (=tovarna na klobouky) see Prague Post article

In 1945 part of the Brüder Böhm manufacturing section was totally destroyed and that section later became a factory for fabrics, named KARNOLAČeský and later United Technologies. That company declared bankruptcy in 2003 and today - the land is/was being sold by Nový Jičín.

3823816627_7e73646d17.jpg

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prohel/stories/bohmfac.html

Peschel Nový Jičín (Czechoslovakia), Dinkelsbühl (Germany)

Third hat factory in Nový Jičín (Czechoslovakia). Founded in 1850 and nationalized under TONAK after WWII. Had a location in Dinkelsbühl, Germany that stopped production in 1971.

W0261265.jpg

K&R Lembert Augsburg, Germany

Founded in 1861 by Raimund and Kasper Lembert. Still in operation today making traditional hats for wholesale.

wappen2.gif

Company history (in German).

http://www.hutfabrik-lembert.de/historie.html

Möckel Bad Homburg, Germany

In 1806 pH. Möckel was founded in 1806. A industrialized hat factory was started by Phillip Möckel in 1856.

A hat called Homburg
The Prince of Wales, who later became King Edward VII of England, and Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, have one thing in common: their love of the Homburg. The former created it, the latter then turned it into a fashionable hat in more recent times. During his visits to Homburg, the English Prince occasionally met his nephew, Kaiser Wilhelm II., who liked to wear a special hunting uniform, which comprised, amongst other things, a green hat with the brim rolled slightly inwards on one side. Edward, who had the reputation of being one of the best-dressed men at the close of the 19th century, decided to have the hat made in an elegant shade of grey – by the Homburg-based hat manufacturers Möckel, who were even awarded a patent for their “Homburg”. The new hat quickly took the world of men’s fashions by storm, surpassing the stiff top hat and bowler hat that had until then been the usual mode of attire. The lightweight, casually-elegant “Homburg” was representative of the new joy of living. Later on, the “Homburg” was also manufactured in blue and black, although Adenauer always preferred the original grey.

Berlin-Gubener Hutfabrik Berlin, Guben Germany

Production of gentleman and lady hats from wool and rabbit/hare as well as from straw.Established under the control of Apelius Von Cohn and Herm. Lewin 1859 in Berlin and 1876 in Guben under the company A. Cohn gegr. hat production business until 29.05.1934 Berlin Gubener hat factory AG. A. Cohn who was Jewish was forced to leave the company and it became Berlin Gubener hat factory AG.

02579p00.jpg

Wilke Hutfabrik Guben, Germany

Founded by Carl Gottlob Wilke in 1822. He invented the weather-proof wool hat and was a major contributor in the mechanization of hat making. Wilke manufactured both wool and hare/rabbit felt hats. Wilke was nationalized after WWII and stopped production in the early 1990s.

3823802819_4ee4d32bbf.jpg

PolkaP Skoczów, Poland

Estabilshed 1924 as a part of J. Hückel and Sons and nationalized after WWII as PolkaP. Still in operation today supplying finished hats and hat bodies.

3823822035_5e66d189f9_o.gif

Fraenkel Hutfabrik Ebreichsdorf, Vienna, Austria

Founded in 1874 and stopped production in 1971.

3755457406_ea4c0f1dcd.jpg

Company history in German.

http://www.hutfabrik.biz/history/index.html

Zapf Hutfabrik Werfen, Austria

The Werfen Fichtlhaus has been home to a hat making firm since 1520. In 1893 the house was bought by Johann Zapf and still today hunting hats and the famous "Collection Habsburg" are made here. The hand-made hats decorate crowned heads, f.i. the Norwegian royal couple, Gustav XVI of Sweden, and are worn or were worn by Hollywood VIPs like Billy Wilder or Marlene Dietrich. Still in business today.

3824642682_96c8dfdab2_o.gif

http://www.zapf.at/historik.htm

Franz Bittner Hutfabrik Ischl, Austria

Founded in 1862 and still in business today making traditional Trachten hats.

altwerbung.jpg

http://www.bittner.co.at/firmenchronik.php

Faustmann Hutfabrik Unteregg, Germany

Founded in 1973. Still in business today.

http://www.g-faustmann.de/us.swf

J. Heinr. (Heinrich) ITA Hutfabrik Vienna, Germany

3491927998_6b59539133_o.jpg

No longer in business.

Rockel Hutfabrik Alsfeld, Germany

No longer in business

Ottmar Reich Hutfabrik Lindenberg, Germany

Founded 1838. No longer in business

Taunus Hutfabrik ?, Germany

No longer in business.

REHFUS - Federleicht ?, Germany

No longer in business

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Woodward & Lothrop, retailer

Cigarband said:
Anything about WOODWARD & LOTHROP?

Until about ten years ago, Woodward & Lothrop was a department store. I used to manage shopping centers and the was a "Woodies" anchor in two of them. There were an east coast company. It's hard to imagine that they actually manufactured anything.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Dalton

I have a very clean nearly new Dalton with the price tag still in the sweatband. $10.95
I really like the hat, but it seems to be a bit round for me. A little tight front to back. That's all I know about Daltons.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just read through this interesting thread and would like to acknowledge all the work that went this thread particular the efforts of Brad, Mingoslim, and Carter forgetting the tread started. I am not historic research type guy to make a real contribution to the thread. I do have one observation based on being an ebay hound regarding the relative build quality of Cavanagh, Knox, Dobbs, and Champ.

By the mid-1950s, Hat Corp. sold their lines in a similarly-tiered manner as the structure of General Motors’ vehicles, with Cavanagh being the Cadillac line, Knox being the Oldsmobile, Dobbs, representing the Buick level, and Champ, the Chevrolet line.

Brad[/QUOTE]

Based on my observations Cavanagh only made higher end hats while Dobbs and Knox had different quality of hat models with in their band names. For example Dobbs marketed a Dobbs fifteen and a Dobbs forty much like Stetson.

Wild Toad

New in Town
George W Prior Hat Company, Denver Colorado

I am not sure that George Prior made his hats or had some other maker put his logo in the hat and brim. I could not find any clues in the hat I just bought. He is listed as George W Prior Hat Co in the years from 1890 to 1930 at which time Reith Strachan bought him out. Reith's father was Archibald and was a salesman for the Hat Co. Eddie Glick was a salesman for Miller western ware and in the 1960s he bought the Prior Company which by now was a well recognized western shirt maker. I do not know how long they sold hats after 1930.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Great info

Thanks for the great insight into hat manufacturers. I recently bought a Brent hat and was having a hard time finding anything about it. Now I know it was sold at Montgomery Ward and was made by Lee Hats. The seller on Ebay said it might have come from J.C.Penney in the 50s. I see they weren't far off because Lee made the hats for both stores. :eusa_clap

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Got two...

Anyone hear of "Marlow" (as in "Hats by Marlow")? Just received a stingy Milan hat from the 1950s that looks pretty choice.

Also, a "Royal Club" hat -- Rogers Peet Company logo in the liner. The gold embossing on the sweat reads: "Royal Club - Aristocrat of Hats."

(Photos to come.)

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I have a MacPhergus... did a search on this brand and only turned up 1 or 2 threads that didn't get much.. here is a picture. It is stamped ONeil's inside.

It's a countour oval "shaped to fit the head"

Sorry for the fuzzy pics.. my camera here at work REALLY does not like close up focusing..

hat+003.jpg

hat%2B009.jpg

hat%2B011.jpg

hat%2B012.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Alot of these brands that you might find were house brands that were made for various stores over the years. Unfortunately most of the information is lost to memory. When National Hatters closed some years ago in New York, most of the manufacturing information was lost. They made all of the linings and sweatbands for the companies here and abroad.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Emerson Hats

jamespowers said:
Do we have the "Celebrated Emerson Hat, 200 Fifth Ave., New York, Murphy-Gorham Co." :D

JP - do you own any? I am in the process of acquiring one an would be delighted to get more information on this marque. It's one I hadn't heard of. I am interested in their positioning in the market in terms of quality.

bpworks

New in Town
Original Christy's of London Boater

I have an original Christy's of London straw boater, never worn with a small chip on the brim in the back. Has been stored about 20 years.

Any idea what the value might be?

Appreciate any comments.

Regards

Levallois

Practically Family
Please add Henry H. Roelofs & Co, Hats, Philadelphia to the list. A competitor of John B. Stetson in the 19th century until he married Stetson's daughter then it gets a little murky. Some indication that the company stopped being Roelofs around 1916? I'm still gathering information and will get back to you once I know more. Thanks!

John

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Malrov Hats of Minneapolis

trademark info: Word Mark MALROV
Goods and Services (EXPIRED) IC 025. US 039. G & S: CAPS AND FUR FELT HATS FOR MEN. FIRST USE: 19200000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19200000

Serial Number 71328796
Filing Date July 14, 1932

Registration Number 0299422
Registration Date December 6, 1932
Owner (REGISTRANT) MALROV HAT AND CAP CO. COMPOSED I.H. NEMEROV AND M.A. LIPKIN BOTH CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES FIRM MINNESOTA 345 17-49 HENNEPIN AVENUE MINNEAPOLIS MINNESOTA
(LAST LISTED OWNER) M. U. INDUSTRIES, INC. INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNEE OF MINNESOTA 110 NORTH FIFTH ST. MINNEAPOLIS MINNESOTA
(LAST LISTED OWNER) M. U. INDUSTRIES, INC. COMPOSED OF THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS, I.H. NEMEROV, AND M.A. LIPKIN, BOTH CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES CORPORATION ASSIGNEE OF MINNESOTA 110 NORTH FIFTH ST. MINNEAPOLIS MINNESOTA 55416
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Renewal 2ND RENEWAL 19721206
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

Since 1920 and lasting at least beyond 1972.
Their caps seem much more common(a few in the Vintage Cap thread) and they have a 1967 Patent for an adjustable cap.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
I'd like to add Thoroughbred Hats to the list. Anyone know anything about them?

SDC10312.jpg

SDC10319.jpg

I recently came across a fedora by Wright hats. On its sweatband, apart from a "Wright Doe Finish Atomic Waterproofed" label is another stamp identical to the one on my Thoroughbred stating "since 1860 Imported Coney Fur" and a picture of an encircled rabbit. There is also some stylistic similarity between the Thoroughbred and Wright liner logo. I suspect that Thoroughbred and Wright are the same company, or at least share a common heritage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko