Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Motorcycle Engineer Boots

Rufus

Practically Family
Wow... lovely pair... Pity Shamus' suspended... I'd love to know where he got them made!

:) ruf

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Jay said:
There was a thread on this a while back. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3756&highlight=boots

I don't know about anyone else, but that pair Shamus had made set the bar for period-looking boots. I wish I could find a pair with that thin of a sole.

I just checked out that thread, those are really nice and the thinner sole and a low heel would be nice for me. I'm 6'4" and don't need to look any taller.
Thanks for finding that thread Jay, I'll let everyone know which ones I go for..

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Well folks.... Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a pair of Frye's.
They are a shorter 8 inch version, same style as picture I posted. 2 friends of mine swear by theirs. I ordered them yesterday from Zappos.com. Amazingly fast service, they offer overnight free shipping, when I came home at lunch today, they were waiting on me. They seemed to fit perfect, anxious to break them in, I wore them back to work, very comfortable for a steel toe boot. The only thing that concerns me is that the one on my left foot seemed to break-in awefully quick, it was slipping more than the other foot. maybe I just need thicker boot socks. Most boots I've ever worn slip at 1st, but this seemed a bit much and I thought my socks were pretty thick.
Anyone else experience this with their engineer boots??

Rufus

Practically Family
Heya B/boy, Hope the frye's work out! Insoles definitely help!

Engineer boots are great protection, but not the best thing to wear on a long walk!
But come the day you drop a joist on your toes, You'll be pleased you've got them on!

The shorter boots are great with jeans. I've got taller ones I bought years back, while rebuilding a house, and they're still going strong.

Enjoy!

:) rufus

Jovan

Suspended
The Captain said:
I wore Engineer Boots for many years. When I went to high school, the look was eng. boots, Levis, and a white T-shirt (no underwear showing). Of course, that was '48-'50, and styles change. Here is a photo of me at my home in '48 (OK, so there is a swordfish on the shirt).

1362997706_33d2512f09.jpg
Look at the fit on those jeans! That is really something. Not too loose, and not too tight either. I wish you still had them. :p

If money's no object, MotorCowboy.com offers a couple of perfectly functional movie replicas, among other harness boots.

http://motorcowboy.com/product/CUST1

http://motorcowboy.com/product/MADH1

Edward

Bartender
Rufus said:
That's the ones, Edward!

although as I mentioned they do different heights, Ankle, Mid and full length.

Chocies, chocies, eh? I assume my Grinders are mid length - 10", I believe. lnog enough to be a long boot, but a manageable length the wear either over or under the jeans, as occasion dictates. :cool2:

J

john z

brylcreem boy said:
I have always wanted a pair of these. I would appreciate any advice from someone has worn them as far as comfort, durability, best brands..
I googled a pair and this is one of the styles I am considering:

41630_H_SH315_MW355.jpg
I have a pair of these, Xelement's. I live in the UK & couldn't find them available here so ordered them from LeatherUp.com in the US. Fantastic quality for the $75 odd they cost, really well made & a great shape. They are comfortable to wear tho' I found they fun a little larger than the equivalent shoe size, say a half size up. I guess they're designed to be worn with thick socks being motorcycle boots so that should come as no surprise. Worthy of note is that they are made in China, not the US. This probably accounts for the relatively low selling price but I must stress they are not cheaply made. I've paid a lot more for less well made footwear & can 100% recommend them. A true bargain.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
Well folks.... Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a pair of Frye's.
They are a shorter 8 inch version, same style as picture I posted. 2 friends of mine swear by theirs. I ordered them yesterday from Zappos.com. Amazingly fast service, they offer overnight free shipping, when I came home at lunch today, they were waiting on me. They seemed to fit perfect, anxious to break them in, I wore them back to work, very comfortable for a steel toe boot. The only thing that concerns me is that the one on my left foot seemed to break-in awefully quick, it was slipping more than the other foot. maybe I just need thicker boot socks. Most boots I've ever worn slip at 1st, but this seemed a bit much and I thought my socks were pretty thick.
Anyone else experience this with their engineer boots??

That's a common problem when buying without trying them on first. Especially with boots. I almost never get a pair from the same box. I find a right or left that fits well, and then keep on searching for a good fit for the other foot.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of (harness not engineer)that I've had for two years from Double H they're quite nice and I got mine for about $100 something you may or may not like is that they're (at least mine) are an oiled leather.
I also like these Chippewas, I have them in black, but this brown is really nice
http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_laceup-031.php

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Qwkslvr said:
That's a common problem when buying without trying them on first. Especially with boots. I almost never get a pair from the same box. I find a right or left that fits well, and then keep on searching for a good fit for the other foot.

Yeah, normally I never buy without trying on, but so few places carry engineers boots and then the ones that do don't carry all the brands you want to try. I would have sent them back, but I did not realize that one was much looser till wearing it most of the day, I put some in-soles in them and wore thicker socks they seem to be somewhat better after 3 wearings.

I guess if it persists, I can always try to exchange them.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Frye engineer boots. I have to say they are the most comfortable pair of boots I own. I wear them even when not riding my motorcycle. Can walk all day in them. I would suggest a pair of socks that come up over the top of the boot though.

Love the look.

"Hey Johnny what you rebellin' against?"
"What ya got?"

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
BigSleep said:
I have a pair of Frye engineer boots. I have to say they are the most comfortable pair of boots I own. I wear them even when not riding my motorcycle. Can walk all day in them. I would suggest a pair of socks that come up over the top of the boot though.

Love the look.

"What ya got?"

Yeah, I bought some new boot socks that are taller, that and the insole's made a considerable difference, I gave them the ultimate test, I decided to break em in good walkin around at the fair this weekend with my nephew and girlfriend. I gotta tell ya I had a close call and almost ruined them, we took my nephew on a little boat ride, and while the ride operator was helping us in the boat, some guy tripped behind me, knocking me into the ride operator- the poor ride operator went head 1st into the boat tank... and I almost went with him, I luckily landed on the back of the boat and didn't get wet. I felt sorry for the guy the crowd was snickering and I don't think he realized at 1st it was not my fault. Needless to say, I don't think I will wear them to the fair again.. Big Sleep.... were yours like this breaking in... did one seem to slip more than the other??

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
BigSleep said:

Love the look.

"What ya got?"

I definitely love the look, I cuff my jeans everytime I wear them so the buckles' show. Here is a pic of the ones I got, this is the 11R, I actually got the shorter 8R, but they are exact same style....
fryeengineerboot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21