Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Classic Oxfords", does anyone have these shoes?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello,

I recently found some nice vintage style shoes on a shoe website.

The site calls them their "Classic Oxfords". I really like the way they look, they remind me of some shoes a young fellow was wearing in a depression era photo.

Look to the right when the page comes up:

http://www.civilwarboots.com/enter.html?target=dept_4.html

I E-mailed the company that makes them, and they said they are available with leather or rubber soles. Also made with "traditional" construction, and made in the USA.

Does anybody have a pair of these? If so, do you like them? Are they high quality?

Thanks!

Atterbury

miss_elise

Practically Family
i concur...as i have these shoes that are allegedly "Oxford" shoes...

untitled1_233.jpg

maybe put the brand in the thread title so people will know which ones you are looking at?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Edward said:
Those Classic Oxfords linked to in the OP look gorgeous, but my that's a serious mark-up for the toe-cap! :eek:

Edward, I know, that is a jump. I guess you have to keep in mind that this company uses lots of hand labor. They mainly make historic reproductions; putting that cap on may take a lot longer with the simpler tools they utilize.

The price without the cap is very decent to me.

Edward

Bartender
Atterbury Dodd said:
Edward, I know, that is a jump. I guess you have to keep in mind that this company uses lots of hand labor. They mainly make historic reproductions; putting that cap on may take a lot longer with the simpler tools they utilize.

The price without the cap is very decent to me.

Oh, yes I'd expect that with hand tooling there would be a serious amount of extra work necessary to put on a toe cap. I wouldn't have expected it to (just over) double the price of the shoe, though! Still, if they're comparable to the likes of Loakes and so on, it's even then not a bad price. Just surprised me that that one detail could add so much to the overall price as a proportion thereof.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Anthony Jordan said:
I take it I am being optimistic in thinking that perhaps $130 is the total cost for the toe-cap version, rather than the additional cost?

That's what I assumed, too, but I added a cap-toed pair to my shopping cart, just to test our theory, and it was priced at $240.

Seems very strange.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
My aplogies for the confusion. I will have the site changed probably sometime next week. My thanks to those who e-mailed me about this. The price with the toe cap is $130. Which may explain why I hardly ever sell any with toe caps.
Tom Mattimore

Edward

Bartender
Ah! I did the toe cap check with the shopping cart too. Great to hear that's a mistake! I might consider ordernig a pair in the future - for now, I have the cost of my holiday in China plus the start-up costs of two kittens to recover from! :eek:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Tom, I can't PM you yet, so I'll ask here: Do I understand correctly that you offer the oxfords in both leather and rubbers soles?

And if so, are both types of soles equally and fully replaceable at a typical shoe repair place, or would they have to be sent back to you?

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Yep they are real shoes. They can be half or full soled numerous times. They can also be made double soled. My fallschirmjagers and Gebirgsjagers are triple soled.
Tom

mike

Call Me a Cab
great pictures, thanks for sending them to me! So how much will the ankle height ones retail for? and those are able to be made with cap toes too I assume. Do you have any close ups of the actual cap toe detail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy