Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Safari vehicles!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
LandFoverflowLandYacht.jpg

Here's an interesting vehicle that recently came up on the Hemmings blog. Safari is probably not the right term, but it certainly seems intended for some kind of expedition.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I suspect glass of any sort was pretty rare on any rifle on the 1920s. Iron sights were about the only option. I also suspect there were far fewer old-eyed shooting in those days. Also, I've been told that unless you are after plains game, a lot of the shooting in Africa is done pretty close. I've never hunted there though, so I could be mistaken.

Regardless, I am doubtful that most people ever shoot anything beyond 150 yards. I know for a fact that the majority of hunters certainly shouldn't anyway!

I don't actually have glass on any of my rifles, except for a cheap scope on an old .22 that I don't really shoot anymore. I really like iron sights.

fireman

One of the Regulars
I really like iron sights also. Old school rifles with irons are my favorite. When plinking or shooting just for fun I prefer irons. However optics are just just better when it comes to hunting. Far less chance of wounding an animal. The problem is when a guy who never shot at anything further than 100 yards tries to hit that trophy deer at 400 yds.:mad:

Correus

Familiar Face
I really like iron sights also. Old school rifles with irons are my favorite. When plinking or shooting just for fun I prefer irons. However optics are just just better when it comes to hunting. Far less chance of wounding an animal. The problem is when a guy who never shot at anything further than 100 yards tries to hit that trophy deer at 400 yds.:mad:

I hear ya. It stymies my mind that so many people can't seem to live without scopes! There are so many out there that can't seem to use their rifles without them!!

Back when I use to help train people most had a scope already mounted or were getting one. I told them that before they would be allowed to use them they had to show competency in use of iron sights. They always complained and asked why - simple answer - "you must learn to walk before you can run". I would ask them what they would do if, for some reason, their scope was put out of action and then remind them that their life, or someone else's, could depend on it.

Personally I do not like scopes and do not use them at all. Like you, old school with iron sights are my favorite. I do prefer rides that are WWI vintage and older, but have a soft spot for inter-wars hunting rifles. A few years back I inherited my wife's grandfather's 1949 Savage 99 (.300 Savage rounds). I love this little rifle. Unfortunately, at some point he added a recoil pad (required the stock to be cut down a bit), the sling and a scope. Not exactly sure when these 'sports kits' started to be pushed for the Savage rifle, and others, but I've seen advertisements for them going back into tge early '50s. I guess they became a fad, several Savage 99 rifles ended up with them; sadly they ended up causing the rifles to loose a chunk of their collectability value. Still it's a fun rifle to play with and it's the only one in my collection with a scope.

In the attached pics you can see it behind the British SMLE Mk III*.

20200828_142430.jpg
20200828_142530.jpg

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I hear ya. It stymies my mind that so many people can't seem to live without scopes! There are so many out there that can't seem to use their rifles without them!!

Back when I use to help train people most had a scope already mounted or were getting one. I told them that before they would be allowed to use them they had to show competency in use of iron sights. They always complained and asked why - simple answer - "you must learn to walk before you can run". I would ask them what they would do if, for some reason, their scope was put out of action and then remind them that their life, or someone else's, could depend on it.

Personally I do not like scopes and do not use them at all. Like you, old school with iron sights are my favorite. I do prefer rides that are WWI vintage and older, but have a soft spot for inter-wars hunting rifles. A few years back I inherited my wife's grandfather's 1949 Savage 99 (.300 Savage rounds). I love this little rifle. Unfortunately, at some point he added a recoil pad (required the stock to be cut down a bit), the sling and a scope. Not exactly sure when these 'sports kits' started to be pushed for the Savage rifle, and others, but I've seen advertisements for them going back into tge early '50s. I guess they became a fad, several Savage 99 rifles ended up with them; sadly they ended up causing the rifles to loose a chunk of their collectability value. Still it's a fun rifle to play with and it's the only one in my collection with a scope.

View attachment 299119 View attachment 299120
Beautiful ‘Rover, and great rifles too. I have a couple of #1 Mk3s. One from 1918, and an Australian Lithgow from 1944. Both sporterized, unfortunately.☹️ Good shooters though!

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars

Too true Fireman! People need to recognize and respect their own limitations. Then they should challenge themselves to improve - on a range!

Great avatar, by the way! Is it a 3L or a 4.5? I’ve always lusted after a Walter Owen-era Bentley.

fireman

One of the Regulars

View attachment 299119 View attachment 299120

Great Land Rover and great rifles!! I have a couple of SMLE's...WW2 Lithgow and a WW1 Canadian marked one. I just picked up a Remington Model 8. Bad part is that it is a .32 Remington. No ammo available. Only a couple of the specialty shops make it.

Teaching irons first should be common sense but you know how that goes.

fireman

One of the Regulars
Too true Fireman! People need to recognize and respect their own limitations. Then they should challenge themselves to improve - on a range!

Great avatar, by the way! Is it a 3L or a 4.5? I’ve always lusted after a Walter Owen-era Bentley.
I believe it is a 4.5. IIRC a past LeMans winner.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Great Land Rover and great rifles!! I have a couple of SMLE's...WW2 Lithgow and a WW1 Canadian marked one. I just picked up a Remington Model 8. Bad part is that it is a .32 Remington. No ammo available. Only a couple of the specialty shops make it.

Ever think or reloading yourself? It’s not that difficult.

For the SMLEs, I really like the .303 British. Excellent round. I also have a 19th century Martini-Enfield in this cartridge. Great fun!

Correus

Familiar Face

Thanks!

.32 Remington... that is an odd one to find. Have you tried your hand at reloading?

As to 'common sense'... it's becoming just as rare as those .32 Remington rounds!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ