Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style Magazine #3

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/besdor/CS3_cover.jpg

Just picked up my latest copy of Classic Style at Barnes&Nobles. While I was looking through the issue on line to pay for it , the person behind me overheard me talking to my wife on how people do not dress up anymore when they go out to eat. This happens to be one of the articles in the issue. I told him to pick up a copy of the magazine for himself. He ran over an got the last copy.
He was so happy to get it. I wish more people were as interested in magazines like this because it also encourages a man to start wearing hats which is something that the hat industry desperately needs .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

EricH

One of the Regulars
I'm with you Steven. I've taken to dressing up much more when I go out, which includes a hat, of course. There is a difference how one is approached by people when they are not wearing a Hooters t-shirt, cut offs, and a worn out ball cap. (By the way, I have never dressed like that) I also feel different about myself if I am dressing to my best formal or casual.

I'm more surprised how I've influenced the young 20 crowd I work with a couple of times a week. They have begun to upgrade their own dress and a few have even taken to or requested to learn more about hats. Perhaps there is hope :)

If I had only one request of the team at Classic Style, it would be this. How about some style tips for those who are trending past our prime? Prior to the ravages of time, gravity and fine ales I could wear anything and look good. Now I need to be a bit more clever at "minimizing" things. Perhaps a photo spread of those of us in our middle years dressed to the nines? Just a thought.

Eric
On the cusp of 50

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
EricH said:
If I had only one request of the team at Classic Style, it would be this. How about some style tips for those who are trending past our prime? Prior to the ravages of time, gravity and fine ales I could wear anything and look good. Now I need to be a bit more clever at "minimizing" things. Perhaps a photo spread of those of us in our middle years dressed to the nines? Just a thought.

Eric
On the cusp of 50

Good news for all of us, EricH. :)

In the Editor's Note of issue one, MK states; "We will show what clothes really look like. There won't be a dozen clips behind the model's back to make a poorly cut garment look like a million bucks. In our editorial, men will look like men and women will look like women. Not all our models will look like they live in the gym either. . . . Our goal is to give you looks that you can use."

And at 43, a couple dozen pounds overweight and less than average height, I can use some looks I can use. :D

Lee

Two weeks from 44.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a person of substance and girth, one of the things I've discovered is that high-waisted trousers are our friends.

And in my humble opinion, we larger fellows always look much better in a suit than in casual dress.

Of course, wearing a fedora goes without saying here. :D

EricH

One of the Regulars
That would be great Lee to see photo spreads of some "real" body types. I remember that from the first issue as well, but the models I saw in the last few issues haven't exactly been robust. I also recognize that pictures of real people in real clothes doesn't sell magazines (read ads). Hence I am sympathetic to the plight of the editors at Classic Style.

So whatcha think MK if you're lurking about. How about a "What to wear" spread for the well dressed gentleman with er issues. You could even use some loungers as models.

Eric
Oh, the female models have been just fine if you want to use them in the shoot ;)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

EricH said:
That would be great Lee to see photo spreads of some "real" body types. I remember that from the first issue as well, but the models I saw in the last few issues haven't exactly been robust. I also recognize that pictures of real people in real clothes doesn't sell magazines (read ads). Hence I am sympathetic to the plight of the editors at Classic Style.

So whatcha think MK if you're lurking about. How about a "What to wear" spread for the well dressed gentleman with er issues. You could even use some loungers as models.

Eric
Oh, the female models have been just fine if you want to use them in the shoot ;)

In the premiere issue I have an article about me having a suit made by Jack Taylor. I know you think I am handsome.....but I wouldn't consider myself a model.;)

No need to worry. Subjects like that are why I created this magazine.

EricH

One of the Regulars
Oh now I get it MK, you created this magazine to springboard your modeling career lol

Eric
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, er handsome

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

More springboard my wardrobe.;)

Most men's magazines show under fed 20 year old models who look either androgenous or like they can't wait for the shoot to be over so that they can pull off the suits and get back on their skateboard.

eddieprada.jpg

56410_img011_122_253lo.jpg

Are we supposed to relate to them?

Classic Style is a men's magazine.

D

dzacca

MK said:
Most men's magazines show under fed 20 year old models who look either androgenous or like they can't wait for the shoot to be over so that they can pull off the suits and get back on their skateboard.
:eusa_doh:
Absolutely not! That kind of magazines just show unweareable things... Come on... I never saw someone in the real world wearing such a crap... :rolleyes:

MK said:

And that's the reason I like it! :)

Just look at the pictures posted by Matt, that're real suits! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That's what we (well I...) want to see on a men magazine.

I hope Classic Style #3 will arrive soon... but I know international delivery is quite sloooooooooow [huh]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MK said:

http://models.com/model_culture/50topmalemodels/images/eddieprada.jpg

http://brieuc75.noosblog.fr/./photos/uncategorized/56410_img011_122_253lo.jpg

I can't relate to them because I'm not a zombie. I don't think we have any zombies on this board, do we? :p

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
MK said:

I don't think any guy I have seen on FL can relate to those two guys (and I use the latter term loosely). Even the teens around here are a product of a different sort of culture.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
I really enjoyed the Classic Style magazines I ordered. It tries to do a lot of things for a lot of people, so it doesn't always hit the mark for me. For example, it has the vintage theme and I am not vintage at all. But its unique qualities include 1) an emphasis on real-world masculine style (versus publicity geared towards the Devil Wear's Prada community) 2) editorial push to make photo shoots more realistic (which sometimes backfires and looks more like a cost-saving measure) 3) so far, lack of advertisers' intrusion into editorial copy. The only comparable magazine is Monsieur (French), and that magazine is compromised by obeisance to advertisers and a resultant dumbing down of the copy (which doesn't stop me from buying and reading it religiously).

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
I can! From what i can see of their clothes, anyone with even the slightest appreciation of the late 1950s/early 1960s "Rat Pack"-type styles should be able to relate to those gentlemen.

bk

I stand corrected again, sir :)

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
That's some headroom!

Matt,

In what vehicle are you and MK in? At first I thought it was an older one
(horsehair headliner?) but then I saw the rear defogger. I do like the piping on the seating and headrests.

I have problems with headroom in modern cars, even without a moonroof - and that's before I consider a fedora!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24