Clearance on Allen Edmonds Dalton dress boot in grey calf

Discussion in 'Vintage Finds and Deals' started by feltfan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

2. feltfan

Oh, meant to add $197 marked down from $375.

3. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

4. feltfan

Thanks. And that's a nice shoe! So hard to figure out what that mottled grey looks like in the real world...

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Keep in mind that you can always play with the coloration if you are not pleased with the mottled grey.

6. feltfan

You mean hit it with some polish? Good point. Gotta figure AE uses quality calf, so it's just about the color.
    Thanks. Hope someone snags some of these. I gotta count my beans and figure out if I can swing it.

7. feltfan

Well I figured AE uses quality calf, but I might have been wrong. I short year later (I'm a couple
    of months late in posting) these shoes are dead. I thought they were very nice looking shoes, if not
    the most comfortable dress boots I have (that honor probably goes to my Whites or, on the dressier side,
    my Otabos). But I liked them. Mostly they wore well, but... I'll let the photos speak for themselves.
    I sent these photos to AE, so we'll see what happens. I did buy a sale item, but that's pretty bad quality
    and I will have that in mind should I consider buying another AE shoe. Go vintage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

I am very sorry to see this! You had high hopes that the AE shoe would live up to its old reputation and were disappointed. This is exactly why I do NOT endorse modern AE shoes at all. They retail now for $300+. Not inexpensive by any stretch. You would be better served with a pair of UK made AS, Loake, Barker, etc. Things have changed since the US golden years!

9. feltfan

Now I know! I take it my experience is not unusual. Too bad. I will look into those brands.

10. feltfan

Well I sent those AE Daltons back to AE at their request. They returned with new rubber soles. Great. Except one started peeling
    off within two hours of wearing them. I had to pay to have new rubber soles put on. But that wasn't the problem. Very quickly they
    started ripping at the base of the tongue. They also never got comfortable. I am pretty unlikely ever to buy another pair of AE shoes.

11. feltfan

I'd add a picture, but, incredibly, the way to load pictures on this forum appears to have changed again
    and I can't figure it out. Oh well.