Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth Sweatbands?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I've been looking at a Stefeno fur felt fedora as my first "quality" hat purchase (I've only ever owned one fur felt, which didn't fit and which I ended up selling). It meets all of my requirements, but one aspect of the hat has my hesitant-- it's got a cloth sweatband, as opposed to a leather one. Is this something I should consider a deal breaker? Would the cloth sweatband more easily allow sweat to stain the exterior of the hat (I'm not sure how big an issue sweat stains/removal of sweat stains is with fur felt)? Would the presence of a cloth sweatband compromise the integrity of the hat?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
I've been looking at a Stefeno fur felt fedora as my first "quality" hat purchase (I've only ever owned one fur felt, which didn't fit and which I ended up selling).

I have had TWO Stefeno fur felt fedoras.

MisterGrey said:
It meets all of my requirements, but one aspect of the hat has my hesitant-- it's got a cloth sweatband, as opposed to a leather one. Is this something I should consider a deal breaker?

The cloth sweatbands in my Stefeno fedoras is cotton twill. Very durable and pretty soft. Fabric sweatbands are not deal breakers, but they will not last as long as genuine leather sweatbands.

MisterGrey said:
Would the cloth sweatband more easily allow sweat to stain the exterior of the hat (I'm not sure how big an issue sweat stains/removal of sweat stains is with fur felt)?

Cloth sweatbands may allow more sweat through. BUT consider that a leather sweatband will allow generous amounts of sweat through if you are sweating enough. Even with a leather sweatband it is always best (not required, but generally helpful) to have a special sweatband liner made of cellotec or something similar. To be very honest, even with a leather sweatband and a special sweat liner, a good afternoon's sweat will still run a good risk of soaking through to the felt body. And any felt hat used while you are working will generally become sweat stained over time.

MisterGrey said:
Would the presence of a cloth sweatband compromise the integrity of the hat?

My Stefenos are over a year old and they still look fantastic. That includes the sweatbands. Mileage may vary, but I think they are really good hats for the price. One of the two Stefenos in particular is superb. It has butter soft felt, good dimensions, is very comfortable and I wouldn't trade it for a hat worth twice as much.

Anyway, that is my experience with Stefeno (sometimes spelled Stefano) 100% fur felt hats made in China. I like them... hold on... OK, I'm wearing one now! :)

Sorry for the long reply.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Thanks for the information!

I don't suppose anyone else has any input? I trust your feedback, Dewhurst, but I would like a bit of a consensus on so big a decision.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
MisterGrey said:
I trust your feedback, Dewhurst, but I would like a bit of a consensus on so big a decision.

Of course! As I said, mileage may vary. Thankfully, Stefeno fur felt fedoras are SUPER affordable. That should help some.

Jazzsaxy123

New in Town
Hi!

I’m interested in purchasing a Stetson Sightseer. I like the shapeable crown and I found a really good deal on one. However, I’m unfamiliar with the flexibility of cotton sweatbands, in which the Sightseer has. However, this website only has them in the small size and I am just barely under a size 7 in Stetson. I’ve checked the Stetson size chart and size 7 corresponds with the medium size.

My question is should I purchase the small Sightseer? Is the cotton sweatband more flexible compared to a leather sweatband? Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
I own an Art Fawcett hat with a cotton sweatband (as specc'ed, in place of leather, by the original owner). I should have thought it wouldn't make much difference in sizing. I've not tired the model to which you refer, but other hats I've owned or tried over the years with the cotton band in place of leather didn't affect me size-wise. IMO, the difference is more in 'feel' against the skin (I shave my head) than anything else. I'd be warier of wearing the cotton on a hot day lest sweat show through more than with leather, but otherwise not a big deal to me - YMMV, of course. If the deal on it is good enough, you might be able to sell it on if it doesn't meet your needs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW