Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing made from neckties

GateXC

One of the Regulars
There's a young designers collective here in NYC where one of the designers does just that kind of stuff. She does bags, jackets, etc. out of ties. Some of them look kind cool in a way. Not my cup of tea but still clever.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh the humanity!

I have never seen a neck tie robe before Marc, that’s kind of cool seeing it’s from the depression!

I remember seeing a skirt made of neck ties at a vintage shop once. It was made of 30’s-40’s -50’s ties. I just about cried right there! I remember seeing some beautiful hand paints and some very art deco brocades. Made me want to never see anything so disturbing in my life again!

Now, if there are people who make things out of ties today and the ties are only 5-25 years in age, that’s fine but, if they’re vintage ties from the 20-50’s that’s just an abomination!

Save our ties!

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I will ease your pain ...

These items of clothing were made from ties that were already worn out or were stained beyond repair. Instead of throwing the damaged ties away, Depression-thrifty folks would reuse them creatively.

Think of quilts. The pieces used in them came from worn-out suits, shirts, coats, dresses, blankets, and even curtains. If you ever want to see what 19th or early 20th century suit fabrics look and feel like, find an old quilt and examine it closely.

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is true but, the one I saw were made of ties that looked almost mint. I agree with you for most of them are damaged and going to get tossed any way. But, some times I wear stained ties just because they have a killer pattern. I'm a vintage bum I guess.:p

=WR=

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Abomination to say the least, Wild.
What desecration!
What deranged madman would do such a thing!?
Sick!
Whats next???
Trenchcoats and jackets made from vintage Dobbs and Stetsons!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24