Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocaine Paranoia films

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfrancis

New in Town
Back in the Cold War we talked about certain monster movies as being inspired by "nuclear paranoia." Godzilla, that sort of thing.

I wrote a paper once on a group of films that I felt were inspired by cocaine use in the 70 & 80s. To me there's a leitmotif. Here's a list of a few off the top of my head. See if you can make the connection, and if so I'd be interested what your additions or deletions would be.

Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Videodrome
Dreamscape
Dune
Dead Ringer

Honorable mention:
River's Edge

The title of one of the best examples is escaping me... Mad Dr. film, something to do with tuning forks that revealed creepy critters that live in the air and will attack you (if you can see them, they can see you). Oar fish looking things. Whoever made that was flipped out.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Trampilot said:
Altered States?

That was about ketamine. A different kettle of fish-like creatures that occasionally fly and change size and colour at will.

Cocaine is not a hallucinogen, though it can cause psychotic episodes that may be accompanied by delusions.

It's all just good fun.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
until someone loses an eye. :)

Or their nose.

Salton_Sea_05.sized.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I generally encourage discussion of film of all type, but this is really not a direction this forum should be moving toward at this time, and since it is not Golden Era related, I think we should move on.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace