Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Skyhawk

Vendor
Big J,
The Lost Worlds G-1 is very nice and I'm happy that I was lucky enough to find one in almost new condition. The goatskin has wonderful grain and is quite thick without being overly soft or spongy. The fit is spot on as well, very close to that of my vintage Star jackets. The mouton collar is the only area where I'm a little disappointed. The collar is black with a grayish tinge, and I don't really like it. I'm thinking of having my tailor replace it with dark brown mouton from a vintage jacket that I bought for this purpose. That would make it just about perfect.

I wouldn't worry about the black mouton. Some of the Cagleco issue jackets from the 1950's had black mouton. I have photos somewhere I will try to dig up. The black mouton is historically accurate although rare. Another jacket I should have not sold!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Good stuff Skyhawk!

If the seam is indeed in the spec, it's interesting that the Cooper I was given and from what I can see at least the Excelled don't have it.

It doesn't seem to be a show stopper. I still wonder if these jackets are just one of those anomalies from this particular Jersey factory.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg
@Deacon211

Totally understand your first post. I'm former Naval Aircrew and my issued G-1 was a Cooper. Still fits, although I've gone upwards about 2 inches rendering my original issue too short. I've since purchased 2 others, G&B and a cockpit. Wish they made this 100 mission in a size Tall, the Avenger G-1 too! ~sniff...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket Hypoxic!

The Ranger too...that's old school! I'm a little surprised that these don't come in Talls.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket Hypoxic!

The Ranger too...that's old school! I'm a little surprised that these don't come in Talls.

Thanks! That jacket is pure salt, still smells like JP-5 a little too! I really wish it still fit me. As I get older, maybe I'll shrink back down into it. He he...

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks! That jacket is pure salt, still smells like JP-5 a little too! I really wish it still fit me. As I get older, maybe I'll shrink back down into it. He he...

Ah, I miss that smell. AvGas just isn't quite the same.

Have you considered a new (old) Cooper?

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
I saw a couple out there for sale in 44L, but didn't pull the trigger. I think they were more the commissary sold jackets than the issued jackets because they had a blue Cooper label inside. My original issue has the usual Mil-spec contractor label.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I saw a couple out there for sale in 44L, but didn't pull the trigger. I think they were more the commissary sold jackets than the issued jackets because they had a blue Cooper label inside. My original issue has the usual Mil-spec contractor label.

That's the one I have now. Are you holding out for issue for nostalgic reasons?

I kinda figured that the only difference between the issue Cooper and the Blue label was that label.

Although I'm not certain of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
I've got my eye on some things.

Maybe if another blue label Cooper shows up in good condition I'll jump on it this time, if the price is right.

HGalindez

New in Town

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Just out of interest I still am struggling to find out if the US Wings USCG Signature series is THE official G1 of the USCG as US Wings claim or is it just purchased by individual USCG units as a private purchase? I thought they got their G1s from the same place in Florida as do the USN and the USMC. In theory the US Wings is not government spec as it is goatskin has a mouton collar and no seam at the bottom of the zip. Nice jackets but just like to know if they are actually issued to all USCG now instead of the normal Excelled.

Thanks

Skyhawk

Vendor
Probably not. I don't think that the USN department would purchase G-1s with real mouton and issue them. It is no longer in the specs. Mouton has been superseded by Dynel synthetic. The jacket would be disqualified for issue because it is not up to the specs listed in the DOD.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just out of interest I still am struggling to find out if the US Wings USCG Signature series is THE official G1 of the USCG as US Wings claim or is it just purchased by individual USCG units as a private purchase? I thought they got their G1s from the same place in Florida as do the USN and the USMC. In theory the US Wings is not government spec as it is goatskin has a mouton collar and no seam at the bottom of the zip. Nice jackets but just like to know if they are actually issued to all USCG now instead of the normal Excelled.

Thanks

I've posted this before and it is entirely my opinion. Squadrons can sometimes use funds for discretionary purposes. My squadron open purchased Bose headsets for each pilot (to be returned when you left the unit). The Blue Angels of course buy all manner of things. But it appears that they buy G-1s from Legendary now, patch them up with leather embossed patches, and issue them out. In the Blues' case, they are likely trying to present a uniform image of the team and don't want the usual hodge podge of jackets that usually get worn by senior O-3s.

If there is any truth to USW claim (and for the CG I wouldn't be surprised if there was), the Guard might open purchase custom G-1s for their aircrew. The Coasties that I was around always seemed to be treated pretty well by their service. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided that they wanted their crews to have a CG specific jacket.

As far as the non-spec aspect, remember that Cooper had been a issuer of G-1s to the Navy. My original G-1 was a Cooper and it had no seam.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This from the US Wings website:
Genuine US Military-issue G-1! Our US Wings Signature Series™ USCG G-1 flight jacket is the same one we supply to the US Coast Guard! The G-1 is the USN and USCG leather bomber flight jacket, worn with pride by naval aviators since WWII. Our G-1 is hand-made from grade A top grain drum dyed goatskin leather and hand-inspected by American craftsmen. Along with their gold wings, the G-1 is among the most cherished possessions of any naval aviator and symbolizes their status as elite flyers. Now you can own an authentic genuine Military Issue, USCG G-1 flight jacket from US Wings! Made in the USA.

Deacon211

One Too Many
This from the US Wings website:
Genuine US Military-issue G-1! Our US Wings Signature Series[emoji769] USCG G-1 flight jacket is the same one we supply to the US Coast Guard! The G-1 is the USN and USCG leather bomber flight jacket, worn with pride by naval aviators since WWII. Our G-1 is hand-made from grade A top grain drum dyed goatskin leather and hand-inspected by American craftsmen. Along with their gold wings, the G-1 is among the most cherished possessions of any naval aviator and symbolizes their status as elite flyers. Now you can own an authentic genuine Military Issue, USCG G-1 flight jacket from US Wings! Made in the USA.

Well, I'm pretty sure that was why Peter was asking.

No offense to US Wings, and as I said I could certainly see the CG open purchasing jackets for its aircrews, but I would never, ever take something that a retailer posts on their website as the gospel truth without some corroboration.

The Cockpit, whose virtues I have just extolled, has made a mint out of very cleverly worded marketing. Both they (and US Authentic BTW) still sell the "Type 440" as the predecessor of the G-1, which I think was a story invented out of whole cloth by the Cockpit many years ago. That Forrestal collarless jacket (as worn by no aviator I've ever seen, nor heard of) is another example of making up a story to sell a different version of the jacket. I recall the slash pockets of the B-3 being touted as "just as modified my many aircrews" (I'm paraphrasing here).

Still, if you can find a single G-1 where the collar was removed, you could argue that they were telling the truth about the Forrestal. And after my squadron's purchase of Bose, Bose could say "as issued to the US military" and not be lying.

I'd just advise caution getting history from websites that are trying to sell you something. There's a long way between telling the truth, and telling the whole truth.

Having said all that again, I would not be at all surprised if the Coast Guard (or perhaps only one detachment of the Coast Guard which again makes the claim technically true) bought after market jackets for their aircrew.

But it sure sells a lot more jackets to say they are the "same one we supply to the Coast Guard".

Just sayin'.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm pretty sure that was why Peter was asking.

No offense to US Wings, and as I said I could certainly see the CG open purchasing jackets for its aircrews, but I would never, ever take something that a retailer posts on their website as the gospel truth without some corroboration.

The Cockpit, whose virtues I have just extolled, has made a mint out of very cleverly worded marketing. Both they (and US Authentic BTW) still sell the "Type 440" as the predecessor of the G-1, which I think was a story invented out of whole cloth by the Cockpit many years ago. That Forrestal collarless jacket (as worn by no aviator I've ever seen, nor heard of) is another example of making up a story to sell a different version of the jacket. I recall the slash pockets of the B-3 being touted as "just as modified my many aircrews" (I'm paraphrasing here).

Still, if you can find a single G-1 where the collar was removed, you could argue that they were telling the truth about the Forrestal. And after my squadron's purchase of Bose, Bose could say "as issued to the US military" and not be lying.

I'd just advise caution getting history from websites that are trying to sell you something. There's a long way between telling the truth, and telling the whole truth.

Having said all that again, I would not be at all surprised if the Coast Guard (or perhaps only one detachment of the Coast Guard which again makes the claim technically true) bought after market jackets for their aircrew.

But it sure sells a lot more jackets to say they are the "same one we supply to the Coast Guard".

Just sayin'.

I think the G-8 was called the 440 because 4+4=8. Enough tin foil for one night Nick...

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I suppose we will not know unless someone who is in the USCG is on this forum. The US Wings jackets by the sound of it are top notch and well made but their claims to being issued are a bit liberal with the truth to say the least. Yes that is what i was on about. Like Deacon said they got a local purchase of Bose but that does not make Bose an issued item. So an educated guess to their claim is that at some time they supplied an unit with some G1s and result of that they advertise as the only supplier to the USCG. Thanks again for your input. It would be interesting to phone Us Wings and see what their answer is. I am States side in May and may well do that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner