Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
Sadly I was informed by a G&B sales rep that they no longer offer their M-422a :(

If anyone wants to part with their's (size 42/44/46 long, depending on actual measurements), please let me know.

My Cockpit 100-Mission G-1 looks like an early '50's G-1 but I also love the russet brown/red lining WWII M-422a. I need to add a nice repro 422a to my collection :rolleyes:

I'd suggest giving Steve a call and seeing what he can do for you. About 2/3 the price of ELC (though ELC makes a nice jacket) and sized to fit.

Drop me a line if you like and I can give you the data dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thor

One Too Many
I'd suggest giving Steve a call and seeing what he can do for you. About 2/3 the price of ELC (though ELC makes a nice jacket) and sized to fit.

Drop me a line if you like and I can give you the data dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks pal; I actually have one of Steve's great repro M-422a jackets. It's a beauty and I'll keep it unadorned. I am angling for a used G&B 422 that I can sew a leather name tag onto. Tho I was never a jet-jockey or an "Airedale", I've just retired and wanted to commemorate my 26-Year Navy career with a nice 422 repro with my Enlisted Surface Warfare badge and name tag.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks pal; I actually have one of Steve's great repro M-422a jackets. It's a beauty and I'll keep it unadorned. I am angling for a used G&B 422 that I can sew a leather name tag onto. Tho I was never a jet-jockey or an "Airedale", I've just retired and wanted to commemorate my 26-Year Navy career with a nice 422 repro with my Enlisted Surface Warfare badge and name tag.

Ebay Thor. They don't come up too often but they show up occasionally. There is also one up on the classifieds page now. What's your size? I'll keep a lookout for you on the 'bay.

thor

One Too Many
Ebay Thor. They don't come up too often but they show up occasionally. There is also one up on the classifieds page now. What's your size? I'll keep a lookout for you on the 'bay.
Thanks Nick. I'd consider a 42/44 or 46 Long size (G&B run large). Anything with a 24-25" pit to pit and longish sleeves. Much appreciated my friend!

Deacon211

One Too Many
+1
Why do the make them so short!
My 100 missions G-1 was superb, but returned it cause it was too short in the back.
Search the web and most pics of guys wearing Cockpit jackets look short in the body (although the sleeves are nice and long)...

You know this got me to thinking (never good).

Out of curiousity, I measured the back length of my 100 Mission (which feels short) and my ELC (which doesn't feel short at all).

Cockpit: 23in +/- 1/4in
ELC: 23in

What I actually think makes the Cockpit feel shorter (as does the Cooper which is about 22.5in) is the knits. Look at the pic of the ELC when pretty new...

Now the Cooper...

Now the Cockpit...

b7f7549f98722e9055e9ad0b80e2eeab.jpg

Both the cockpit and the Cooper might be marginally shorter in the back. But the knits are much more snug than the looser wool rib rack type and they tend to keep the waistband higher when you raise the jacket.

I don't know if that is a design difference between the G-1 and the M-422A (the bunching of the knit) or whether that is just the difference between single ply wool and doubled over poly.

Just something to ponder.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
IMG_1518.png
This is the company that I contacted. Their claim was that the size is dictated by the D.O.D. contract, and it could not be changed.

American Mystique, a seller on Ebay. Their jacket looks very similar in fit to my Wings G-1, being a bit long in the body and sleeve, with extra room in the upper arm area.

The jacket is made to modern specs, being heavy cowhide, with a fake fur collar. Made in the USA.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
So, I'm sorry if I misunderstood Tex.

It wasn't G+B you spoke to? If that's the case then I completely misunderstood your earlier post.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
So, I'm sorry if I misunderstood Tex.

It wasn't G+B you spoke to? If that's the case then I completely misunderstood your earlier post.

No worries. I did speak with G&B, but not about their sizing as related to current government contracts. The conversation was in regards to a custom made G-1, when I was advised they no longer do any custom work.

With regards to American Mystique, I asked about the size thru the waist and upper arm area. Plus the length. Apparently, all of this is per the gov. contract.

One more thing...your new Cockpit G-1 looks to be a spot on perfect fit.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks Tex. It really is a great jacket.

I really need to read the spec sometime. The Cockpit G-1 isn't nearly so blousy and maybe you could chime in on how the USWings fits (although they no longer say "mil-spec" but some other crafty language in there like "US Military Issue").

So, that all just makes me curious how closely the spec, well, specs.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hey guys, Deacon, Thor... and anyone else owning a 100 mission G-1...
What size are you wearing and what is your chest size. Did you go up, down or same size?
I am getting pretty frustrated. I have contacted numerous online vendors, incl Cockpit... regs the measurements of a Forrestal without patches (same jacket as the 100 missions), but very few have answered, of those that have... have been online guys who don't carry stock, so just send a brief 'generic' measurement guide, which is not very accurate.
Seems no one can be bothered to pull out a tale measure and actually compare a couple of jacket... Or they are just too busy selling them. Dunno.
In todays market place one one think people would focus a bit more one customer service, requests etc...

Yeah. first replies from cockpitusa were useless and never answered my questions, and then the new member here never contacted me. I was lucky that the MA-1 I just got fits, but my experience with cockpitusa has been the pits.
Too bad - they make nice stuff.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah. first replies from cockpitusa were useless and never answered my questions, and then the new member here never contacted me. I was lucky that the MA-1 I just got fits, but my experience with cockpitusa has been the pits.
Too bad - they make nice stuff.

Did you get the MA-1 in XL? Looking to get one potentially if the numbers dial in right.

WARHAWK

New in Town
I have been stuck trying to get through the Nor-Easter, and the subsequent NY airspace debacle. We were hesitant to recommend the sun-faded MA-1 to ButteMT61 because of how tall he is. I recommended it might be too short, it seems it fits. As for the customer service experience, no excuses. If your experience wasn't good, then we need to work on it. I am glad you like the jacket.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
My experience with USW was very negative, times 3. The jackets just don't fit right. I don't like to bash companies, but I personally will never buy from them again, and I'll leave it at that. Pay the extra €,£,$, for Cockpit or another reputable brand. You'll thank yourself in the long run, but that's just my own personal experience. I don't really care for a jacket that makes me look like one of the Three Musketeers.

Last edited:

augustwest

New in Town
Nice honest review. The only thing I have a hard time coming to terms with about the jacket, is the light color of the "mouton color". Myself, I prefer the more "honey" color that I see on some of the jackets. The other stylistic inconsistancies don't bother me.

thor

One Too Many
Hey guys, Deacon, Thor... and anyone else owning a 100 mission G-1...
What size are you wearing and what is your chest size. Did you go up, down or same size?
Hey Brettafett, I have a 44" chest and I ordered a size 48. My 48 measures 25.5" pit to pit, 27.5" sleeve and 26" back. The fit for me is spot on.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thanks Thor. I been receiving dribs and drabs from the vendors, some like www.americanequipage.com/cockpitusajackets.aspx, have been particularly good.
Theres seems to be a variance... take a size 40 for egs... the lengths seem to vary by an inch+ in the back (24 to 25.5), thats either just variance in production batches or poor measuring... Now a 25.5 would be fine, but a 24... would have to send that back and I know I will incur import fees.
It would be so much easier to pop into a store and try on... ugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto