Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit G-1

DustyUSAF

New in Town
Anybody out there own a Cockpit USA G-1? I noticed on their website the color of the collar is a little bit lighter brown, as in this picture:
http://www.bestglide.com/product_images/g1_flight_jacket_Z2108_lg.jpg

However, from watching the Youtube video, the jacket, as well as the collar looks very dark, almost black:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B_HrsTjPog

Just want to hear from anyone who either owns one, or has seen them in person. Pictures would be nice.

On a similar note, I am also looking at purchasing a Cooper or possibly a G&B G-1. Can anyone comment on the fit/quality of either (or any other brand for that matter)? I'm not looking to spend alot of money, but just looking for a comfortable, proper fitting jacket, preferably from a manufacturer that at one time had a military contract (G&B would be the exception).

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Dusty, I have a Cooper G-1. It is an issued one from their 1992 contract, but I think that it is the same jacket they sold on the civilian market, only with a military tag.

I would say that it has its good points. Unlike other G-1s from that era, which were most often made from embossed cowhide, the Cooper is made from really nice goatskin. Of course, it has a Dynal collar, as do all issued G-1s from 1969 forward. I think you could get a mouton collar on Cooper's civilian version. As you can see, it has a very dark, seal finish which seems a little odd, since Cooper's A-2s from that same era were quite russet or brown. Also, it has a very generous cut for its tagged size. It is probably the largest G-1 that I own. Since this photo was made, I've removed the velco receiver and the flag. The jacket looks much better without them in my opinion.

decemberfish002-1.jpg

AF

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
They sell the Cockpit G-1 at the NEX, which is the Navy's version of a PX or BX. It looks just like the video you have the link to. I think that it is a very nice jacket and have often times thought about buying one, but they never seem to have my size in stock. I like the fact that it has a mouton collar. I do not like the synthetic collar that the current MILSPEC has. After a while it gets matted and looks like the hide of some wild animal. I would recommend buying the jacket.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
After following these discussions (and the market) for a decade, I'm of the opinon that most current domestic modern-spec A-2 and G-1 jackets, despite their name tags, originate from a single factory in New Jersey.

Jackets from US Wings, Schott, Cockpit, Legendary, American Mystique, etc., are vastly more similar than different. Some makers are distinct (e.g., Gibson & Barnes), but most of the current-spec A-2 and G-1 jackets in the $250-$400 range are identical, apart from their brand name.

So I wouldn't kill myself trying to evaluate the brands: cut through the hype about who were official government contractors, or claims of being the oldest to offer a particular style, and just look for the best price for a particular jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo