Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktail Museum....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The "Original" Sazerac Cocktail

By some accounts, the Sazerac was the very first cocktail worthy of the name. Its birthplace was 1850s New Orleans (where else?)

1 lump sugar
3 drops Peychaud's bitters
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 jigger rye whiskey
1 dash absinthe
1 slice lemon peel

Start with two heavy-bottomed, 3 ¬? ounce bar glasses. Fill one with cracked ice and allow it to chill. In the other, place a lump of sugar with just enough water to moisten it.

The saturated loaf of sugar is then crushed with a barspoon. Add a few drops of Peychaud's bitters, a dash of Angostura, and a jigger of rye whiskey.

Add add several lumps of ice to the glass containing sugar, bitters, and rye and stir. Never use a shaker!

Empty the ice from the first glass, dash in several drops of absinthe, twirl the glass and shake out the absinthe ... enough will cling to the glass to add the needed flavor.

Strain the whiskey mixture into this glass, twist a piece of lemon peel over it for the needed zest of that small drop of oil thus extracted from the peel, but do not commit the sacrilege of dropping the peel into the drink.

(To make a truly spectacular Sazerac, substitute a fine Cognac for the rye. You can also make a great Sazerac by using the limited edition Sazerac 18-Year-Old Straight Kentucky Rye Whiskey. It's marvelous, and currently about $43/bottle in New Orleans.)

RedPop4

One Too Many
The first funeral I ever played music for, at the Church where I currently serve, was for a gentleman who was 108 years old when he died. He was a retired firefighter. In his late 80's he was the president of the Fireman's Benevolent Association upon the request of the membership as none of the younger guys could do a good job.

He quit smoking cigars at 105, I think they said in one of his eulogies.
All who euologized him mentioned that at ALL family gatherings and holidays, this gentleman made Sazeracs. Completely by hand, it took about 20 minutes, but he always insisted that it be done RIGHT not FAST. They laughed about it a bit, but then acknowlged that his were the best.

The museum was started by the guys and gals over at drinkboy.com. I used to post in that forum a lot, but not so much any more. You'll see the members turn up on the History and Food Channels once in a while because they're pretty much the authorities on the subject, though I disagree with them on their definitive recipe for the Sidecar. Cocktailians should check out the site some time.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Etienne

A-List Customer
RedPop4, that's a sweet story. I'm always sad when those who have lived so richly and fully pass on. God's gain and our loss, I guess. But it sounds like he left some great memories...

RedPop4

One Too Many
Thank you.
What was sad about it was that despite the family, the crowd at the funeral and all the love, he had no contemporaries. And from all accounts was sharp until the very end and he managed not to let having friends his own age get him down.

His children were all in their seventies, and his grandsons who eulogized him were in their fifties.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this funeral and person stand out in my memory, and partially because of his love and devotion to the Sacerac....and I'm nearly a tee-totaller.lol lol :eek:fftopic: Sorry guys.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Sazeracs, my favorite mixed drink.

saz.jpg

saze.jpg

sazzy.jpg

And Legendre's take on Peychauds, before Sazerac bought the company.

bitters1.jpg

Old Sazerac bitters

OrigSaz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes