Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Code 46

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I caught this on PBS a few nites ago.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345061/

Its very much in the vein of Blade Runner, Brave New World, & Gattaca.

It starred TimRobbins as a govt investigator and Samantha Morton as the suspected smuggler/counterfeiter of travel papers.
A near future dystopian world where test tube babies are so common, that the populace must be monitored to avoid incestuous relationships & genetic disease.

The movie has a great subtlety in that the terminology & situations are not explained at great length. Its all delivered in a matter of fact manner, including the use of various foreign words to approximate a future lingo.

All scenes seem to be filmed in foreign locales that create an exotic feel w/o resorting to any sci-fi CGI.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love this film (own it) and I keep saying it would have been so much stronger if they had NOT put that explanation of what Code 46 actually WAS and let the audience figure it out for themselves.

LD

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I think so, but not the way the film used it in context with it being a law.

LD

Sure but the law is there to preserve genetic health. Its a nice little pun making this scientific code a legal law.

About ten years ago there was a William Gibson cyberpunk short story adapted to film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133122/
It took a similar approach in that it played down the futuristic aspect & played it more as a grifter plot.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im not arguing about the law, or the film, just the explanation of it at the beginning of the film.

Leave that out and let the audience discover what the code is on their own.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav