Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
@crwitt Ooooh, sounds fantastic (about your Grandmother, I mean)! I tried the Pond's cold cream for "normal to oily" skin, and it's working wonders! Even my monthly hormonal breakouts are lessened (now I don't look like some teenaged monster every month lol ). Tried everything else, as well as everything that my dermatologist suggested, and nothing really worked - I even joked with him that short of a sex-change operation, there was nothing we could do about it! lol I use unrefined shea butter as my moisturiser, but I do use Body Shop's tea tree night time moisturiser around that special time *rolls eyes*.
Yeah, I find that mineral powders are the best for my skin too...

Thanks ladies!! Big hug to all!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I've read the advice about using cold cream and witch hazel quite a few times. I figured since my skin is oily through the Tzone and prone to break outs if I use anything too heavy or rich, that this was not the right regimine for me. Then I found this little beauty and it piqued my curiosity.

Dubarry Travel Kit by susanmcs, on Flickr

Dubarry Travel Kit contents by susanmcs, on Flickr

I can't stress enough that it is UNWISE AND UNSAFE to use vintage cosmetics, but I did try the cold cream and now I'm totally hooked! I did go out and buy NEW products for safety reasons. I've been using the green lid Ponds and witch hazel for about a week and I can't believe how much calmer my skin is. I seriously think it's diminishing the black heads on my nose too. I did just start using a cold cream, toner and moisturizer (with pink grapefruit that smells yummy) from an Etsy seller and so far, so good. The best part about cold cream is how easy it is to use before bedtime. The cold cream diet actually makes me feel pampered! I'm just sorry it took me so long to try it!

Heather

Practically Family
Was the Etsy seller Cataphract? I've been wanting to try her rose and lemon cold creams. Personally, I like to use my cold cream and witch hazel in the morning and save my Mario Badescu for the evenings.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Was the Etsy seller Cataphract? I've been wanting to try her rose and lemon cold creams. Personally, I like to use my cold cream and witch hazel in the morning and save my Mario Badescu for the evenings.

Heather, I actually got my new skin products from Garden of Holly. She sells the cold cream but also had toners and moisturizers that are specific to normal/dry or oily/blemish prone. The grapefruit moisturizer is light enough for me to use daytime, but I did get the cream for dry skin. I'm not dry but I figured it would be a good night cream for my 40 something self. :) Like I said, so far, so good.

Oh, and I got her tea tree/charcoal cleansing bar too. I'm thinking about doing the cleansing bar in the am and the cold cream pm.

zombi

A-List Customer
I have the cold cream by Boots, purchased at Target here in the USA. I tried it out before but I got a bad breakout afterwards, and I didn't give my skin the "adjustment period" following that, I just quit using it. Have any gals with oily or combination skin had this and found that with continued use and a little time, it got all better?

I also have very bad dry skin in the winter. Just applying moisturizer isn't enough! I was wondering if using cold cream at night before bed might help with this problem, as it does seem very rich when I use it. Thoughts?

Oh, other things I was wondering (I'm sorry I'm ALWAYS editing!):
- has anyone tried both the Boots brand and Ponds and found Ponds to be better?
- I did use witch hazel after I used the cold cream. Do you think that made a difference?

Last edited:

~Kate~

New in Town
I have the cold cream by Boots, purchased at Target here in the USA. I tried it out before but I got a bad breakout afterwards, and I didn't give my skin the "adjustment period" following that, I just quit using it. Have any gals with oily or combination skin had this and found that with continued use and a little time, it got all better?

I also have very bad dry skin in the winter. Just applying moisturizer isn't enough! I was wondering if using cold cream at night before bed might help with this problem, as it does seem very rich when I use it. Thoughts?

I tried cold cream (homemade, not store bought) for a couple weeks but my skin still continued to break out. I know it works great for some ladies but not me :( My skin is combination, and although the cold cream did decrease the oil my skin produced, I still ended up with a lot of acne as a result of using it. I do however find it does work well as "pre-mask" before applying a clay mask (or some other face mask).

Julius8122

New in Town
I use witch hazel every day, three times a day and my skin is beautiful now. I ended up going to the Boise Co-Op to get distilled witch hazel since the stuff I found in the store was cut with alcohol. I find it very soothing to my skin. I haven't found a cold cream that works for my oily-to-dry skin (it depends on the season) that doesn't cause my skin to turn into an oil slick. I started using Burt's Bee's daily moisture lotion and using that like a cold cream and it works for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cold cream that lightly moisturizes?

zombi

A-List Customer
It seems that using the cold cream at night without following it with witch hazel or anything has made my face feel very nice today. I'll keep it up this time and see what happens.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face

Oh, other things I was wondering (I'm sorry I'm ALWAYS editing!):
- has anyone tried both the Boots brand and Ponds and found Ponds to be better?
- I did use witch hazel after I used the cold cream. Do you think that made a difference?

zombi, I have oily skin, and I did have a bad breakout after I started using cold cream. I found that for my skin, I can only really use cold cream to take off my makeup, and then I have to follow up with a Noxema wash and some witch hazel. I don't personally know about using cold cream as a night cream, but my mother and aunt both swear by it.

I tried the Boots cream, and I broke out constantly for the two weeks I tried it. I went back to using Ponds Classic Cold Cream (white jar with green lid) and things cleared up.

My skin is not only oily, it's extremely sensitive and I have a boatload of allergies, so what works for me might not work for other people.

zombi

A-List Customer
I tried the Boots cream, and I broke out constantly for the two weeks I tried it. I went back to using Ponds Classic Cold Cream (white jar with green lid) and things cleared up.

My skin is not only oily, it's extremely sensitive and I have a boatload of allergies, so what works for me might not work for other people.
Thanks so much, this was really helpful for me. I have sensitive skin and a lot of allergies, too -- I can't use regular deodorants, commercial laundry detergent, etc, that kind of thing -- and I was wondering if maybe the brand might make a difference for me. I may try the Pond's.

As I used it last night with nothing else, I got up this morning and my face felt amazing. I didn't have that usual early-morning-oil-slick thing, either. I have some breakouts, but I had those beforehand due to time of the month, so I'm just going to see how it goes. I do know that my face today has felt amazing all day and been far less oily in the T-zone than the usual for me.

If I have any more reaction to the Boots, I will try the Pond's. Good to know someone with sensitive skin has tried both brands, thanks for replying!

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
You're welcome! I'm exactly the same way re: allergies and sensitivities. I've had to start buying my own hand soap for work, since the stuff they put in the dispensers gives me hives. I just threw out a brand new compact because the powder raised a rash. It's such a challenge :/

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, almost a week later going cold-cream-only -- just at night, nothing but plain water in the mornings -- and my face has never looked better. People have commented on it, in fact. It's producing less oil and looking amazing all around, really. Not perfect, but the improvement is marked. I'm impressed.

Katue

Familiar Face
I've finally read this!

Uhhh! I've been reading this thread for several days! And finally I got to the last page! Yes!:p

Firstly, I think I should introduce myself. Me name's Katherine, I'm 20. I live with my husband in Moscow, Russia. I am a private school teacher. I work as a manager at weekends. And I still have to go to the University! The good thing is I'm graduating soon! :cool:

Now, back to the thread. When I was a teenager I never had any problems with my skin. At the age of 18 I started using liquid foundation instead of using 3-in-1 foundation (not liquid) as a concealer. And soon I got this annoying problem - the pores on my nose. They are always visible and a little reddish. I don't have any acne though. But I have breakouts sometimes. And yes, I have some small wrinkles in the eye area.
Recently I've noticed that my skin is very dry. I didn't know what to do... It was dry no matter how much moisturiser I used.

Several months ago I decided to give up using liquid foundation and start using only consealer and my loose powder. But I didn't know what to do with that dryness... So I started googling vintage skin care tips because it seemed that modern methods didn't work for me at all. Then I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-rthokWBE and decided to use something that gives my skin glow instead of moisturiser. I bought Boots No 7 radiant glow and the difference was fantastic! Somehow the sking was reflecting the light and it looked perfect! It was still a little dry but it lookes so healthy!

But I wasn't satisfied. I wanted to change the whole skin care routine. And I did! Here it is.

Evening routine:
- I take off my make up with Olive oil. It's great and my lashes look fantastic because of it.
- Then I wash my face with contrast water. Cold-then warn-then cold-warm-and cold again. This helps to prevent wrinkles and awaken skin. Afrer that I simply touch my skin with cotton washcloth.
- After that I put on some cold cream (for me Ponds works best!) Massage it for a minute, let it soak and then take if off with a dump warm or even hot washcloth. I don't use which hazel in the evenings because it makes my skin dry. I think it's too harsh for me.
- I use ice-cube undereye therapy like Audrey did. Sometimes I even use ice cubes all over my face. It gives stimulation that invigorates the skin.
- Then I put a little cold cream as a moisturiser and leave it over night.
- Under my eyes I use vaseline. It helps me to moisturise my undereye area. I also use it on my lips and it makes them so soft and gentle!

Morning routine:
- I awaken my skin with the contrast water therapy.
- Put on some cold cream and take it off with dump warm washcloth.
- Use some which hasel but only on my reddish parts and breakouts.
- I use some concaler if needed and my favourite loose powder. I even don't have to use boots no 7 any more because my skin has it's natural glow now! I put some boots 7 on my eyes only. It makes them so bright and shiny. I also put some vaselin on my upper lid - that's fantastic! Try!
- I also put some vaseline on my lips under the lipstick or gloss.

That's it, Ladies! :p

Last edited:

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I love cold cream still (my skin has never looked better). I thought I'd get fancy and buy a vintage milk glass cold cream jar. Well it didn't come with a lid! So now I'm stuck with a cute jar and no lid and nothing around the house seems to fit it. I've even tried the jars in the fridge!

Any ideas on where to find a lid for this thing?

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
I had a really hard time to find cold cream here in Holland. The stores here used to sell pond's but it was discontinued. Luckily my parents went to England and got me the Boots cold cream!! I was thrilled, and now I use it in the morning and before I go to bed.
The witch hazel is also called Hamamelis right? I am not familiar with this product but on a Dutch site I see it comes in a cream and in a lotion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner