Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar bar and tie bar/clip in unison?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Does this look too busy? I am undecided. I love the aesthetics of the collar bar, as well as the tie bar/clip, but when worn together, it seems a bit busy. Should I forgoe the tie bar/clip when wearing a collar bar, and instead go with a tie strap instead, which would still keep the tie in place, but remain hidden?

K

kpreed

I also do both, but do agree they can look a bit busy together. So I do a Bow (and no more problem) a bit more often then I did before.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Nobody has commented on it thus far. The collar bar has been a recent addition to my wardrobe, but I have been wearing a tie bar for years.

kbadr

Familiar Face
On a related note, how does one get a collar bar to fit properly on a collar? I've never been able to do it. Maybe the collar bars I have are just too short.

Edward

Bartender
In my experience, very many contemporary shirts are cut with too widely splayed a collar to accomodate a bar. When the shirt allows and I'm ont wearing a waistcoat, I wear both. With a waistcoat, I don't tend to wear a tie clip as it then seems entirely superfluous.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Most collars are way too spread and/or short to accept a collar stay.

Look for point collars.
You need to clarify your terminology as to what accessory you are talking about. I believe you are referring to collar stays at a time that modern collar stays did not exist (they only came about in 1922, invented by Arthur Wolf). Modern collar stays are what goes into the pocket on the underside of the collar to keep the wings from curling. The collar stay you are referencing is what is commonly refered to as collar bars nowadays.

Decodence

A-List Customer
kbadr said:
On a related note, how does one get a collar bar to fit properly on a collar? I've never been able to do it. Maybe the collar bars I have are just too short.

Depends on the shirt, and the knot you are tieing.

Edward said:
In my experience, very many contemporary shirts are cut with too widely splayed a collar to accomodate a bar. .

Some of my shirts work, others, not a chance.

Feraud

Bartender
Decodence said:
You need to clarify your terminology as to what accessory you are talking about. I believe you are referring to collar stays at a time that modern collar stays did not exist (they only came about in 1922, invented by Arthur Wolf). Modern collar stays are what goes into the pocket on the underside of the collar to keep the wings from curling. The collar stay you are referencing is what is commonly refered to as collar bars nowadays.
We are talking about the same item. Collar bar, collar stay.. same item.
Because the reference is unfamiliar to you does not make it wrong does it?

Decodence

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
We are talking about the same item. Collar bar, collar stay.. same item.
Because the reference is unfamiliar to you does not make it wrong does it?
Just depends on whether you are using 1920 speak, or 2000 speak. Collar stays today are these:
collar.jpg

Collar bars today are these:
collarbarbig.jpg

Collar stays didn't exist in their present form before 1922. Collar bars were called collar stays back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR