Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stands on A-2s What do they do?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've about 5 A-2's of varying quality or worth. Only one, my HH Avirex has a "collar stand" I know what it is, but I'm not sure what difference it makes in comfort or style? If I'm ordering a custom made jacket I'd like to know what I'm getting or not getting.

Worf

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All pre-War and some wartime contracts had collar stands. The purpose of the collar stand was to lift the collar up like on some military shirts to give the
A2 a smarter appearance when worn. That's the theory, but some people find the higher collar an irritation as it restricts neck movement.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
As Andrew says, it's an acquired taste. The Perry Sportswear contracts are amongst my favourite patterns - all, including the 'no name' 1756 if this is by Perry as believed, have collar stands. However, the collar stands very proud and can chafe the neck a little in use.
For comfort, I've come around to the Doniger pattern - less boxy, more flattering silhouette and with a lower, more open collar that's very comfortable.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually like collar stand A2s and have several originals in my collection. The no-name 1756 contract was definitely by Perry Sprtwear as it was one of 3 contracts issued in June 1944. There is a document dated 13 June, 1944, from Maj. Gen B.E. Meyers, Office, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Materiel, Maintenance and Distribution shows the following which I have excerpted:

Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, New York, Jacket, leather, Type A-2 25,000
J.A. Dubow, Chicago, Ill Jacket, Leather, Type A-2 35,000

The Dubow contract was the 1755 and Dubow's name is on the spec label. The no name 1756 contract was issued at the same time and ties in with the Perry contract and jackets from this contract have most of the features found on Perry Sportwear A2s.

andyfalzon

Vendor
The purpose of the collar stand is to provide a correct look especially when the wearer is wearing a shirt underneath.
As all shirts have a collar stand, the jacket should have one too, so that the collar sits correctly, at the same level or higher than the shirt collar, especially when you wear the jacket zipped.

See example below

h62439.jpg

When the jacket does not have a collar stand and you wear shirt and tie, and try to zip up the jacket, the shirt collar sticks out in a funnt way.

D

Deleted member 16736

It's there to keep the rain off your neck. Not kidding.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda