Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color photos Hats 1939 to 1946

matei

One Too Many
Great pictures. It is interesting to see things in colour, somehow it makes it easier to relate.

I noticed that there were also quite a few hatless fellas there as well, especially in the train wreck pic.

ii-5-i

New in Town
Thanks MC for posting a very interesting photo/social commentary on rural and urban '30s and '40s America. One doesn't get to see these scenes in color often.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Very, very cool pictures. I detected what looked a bit like an Open Road (the guy on the right)...

openroad.jpg

KC

Fedora

Vendor
Very cool photos Marc. Great looking hats. The 2 guys in the first pic look like they need a reblock-I detect some taper.

Couldn't be. Everyone knows that vintage felt does not taper. :eusa_doh: Fedora

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Look at the position of the bows in the first photo.

The one on the left is in front of his ear and the one on the right is behind his ear.

Did the ribbon slip? Or is there that much variety in the bow position. Or maybe they gave them the "Indy turn."

Wild Root

Gone Home
About the hats.... most men in those days put their hats to work... they wore them to death! Men were men even back then... they didn't care how their hat looked if they were blue collar workers and bow positioning wasn’t something they worried about as they stepped out the door to work. Some men would treat their hats rough some didn't. Not every one could afford to keep a hat clean and blocked. It all depends on if the man was rich or poor… the richer the man, the richer the look. Also, I love to see the short ties! So cool they be!

The hatless men on the train wreck just goes to show that not every man wore hats back then... most did, some didn't.

Just goes to show that we have this grand idea from movies catalogs and news reels that life back then was a perfect dressed utopia… in many cases men did dress better then, then today but, there were poor dressers and good dressers throughout the march of time. The typical American at that time were Farmers and middle class families.

Very compelling photos Marc! Well done sir!:eusa_clap

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk