Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colorizing Films and other acts of Blasphemy!

farnham54

A-List Customer
If I may put out a more modern example...please, I am already begging for forgiveness in advance, so be warned!!

Snakes on a Plane in the Theater vs. SOAP with your buddies at home!

In a theater, you had hissing whenever the audience thought Snakes would show up, cheering whenever they thought Sam Jackson would be 'cool', and even LOUDER cheering whe Sam Jackson said the infamous line--in a home environment, that is almost entirely lost.

Honestly, the theater version is one of the best theater experiences of my life--yet the home version, not so much!

Just an example as to how the Home Movie experience can GREATLY differ from the Theater experience.

Cheers
Craig

P.S. For the record, the only reason I think SOAP was decent was because it was honest! I fully admit to it being one of the WORST 'blockbusters' in history!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
The ONE consumer group that still gets its way, and it is for an inferior product, huh! I'm still mad they've virtually quit making vinyl records and are on the way out for VHS tapes.
Less permanent media are in the interest of the industry. Keeps consumers buying, and gives companies more control over what we can buy.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, boy, colorized film. Don't get me started. I was horrified when they first started doing that. I shuddered at the idea of Casablanca in color. I believe I recall that John Huston actually wept when they colorized one of his films (I think it was The Treasure of Sierra Madre) saying "what have they done to my baby?" I believe Ginger Rogers stated that she was horrified at the color of one of her gowns in a Rogers & Astaire dance flick.

Whenever I have come across a colorized film on TV, I curse and turn off the set.

There is such great beauty in the tone and mood of black and white films that cannot be equaled in color, same with black and white photographs. Same with the sepia tone films and photos.

As for widescreen TV, I want to buy one sometime in the future, when the prices drop a bit more. I don't mind the black bars and I always will watch the widescreen rather than the formatted for TV version on DVD. There are some films that are best seen in a theatre -- the big spectacular films for one.

I dislike seeing TV movies because they always chop up scenes, speed up the action so they can fit in more commercials. I saw The Big Red One on TV and, to this day, cannot tell you what the film was about. I hear it was a good war film, but, boy, did they chop it to pieces.

karol

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When colorization began it was pretty shakey. The color would bleed outside of the figures and objects colored badly. They have it down now. I saw a colorized King Kong that Merian C. Cooper would have probably liked. He told me budget precluded color back then.

For me it's the editing for time that I hate. They speed up scenes and cut others out for TV. I assume the only way around this blasphemy is to own them on DVD.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That lousy early colorization was one of the primary things that led to the creation of the National Film Registry, so that films would always be available for reference in their *original* form! (So it also serves to keep pre-politically correct revisions and endless Geroge Lucas tinkering available as originally released.)

http://www.loc.gov/film/filmnfr.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff