Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for Redheads

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The woman I mentioned didn't dye her hair--she was the one who told me about the fading process (and my hairdresser confirmed it as being quite common.)

Yes, there is nothing quite like an elderly woman with bright red hair (or even better, inky black hair :))

decodoll

Practically Family
Must just be my family then! For awhile before my mom decided it was time to start dyeing hers, she had what looked like a perfect frosting job, but it was all natural. :) We just go straight from red to white.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I regularly break all the color rules, so I might not be the best person to follow. However, here is what I have been told not to wear:

Orange, as in bright shades (I do anyway, some are scary on everyone)
Pink (OK, some shades don't look good)
Magenta (clashes, even I don't wear most magenta shades)
Red (I wear some reds anyway, I just keep toward yellow reds and true reds)
Grey (not fair! I wear some "warm" greys anyway)
Muted middle tones - like mauve, dusty pink, etc. (these aren't my favorite anyway)

I get complements on black, warm peachy pinks, rust, brown, tan, camel, apple green, some purple shades.

As for the hair fading thing, some redheads do, some don't. My mom's sister went red to white, but it was really noticeable, she dyes it. My dad just faded out. He had fiery red hair when young, strawberry blond in his 50's, blond later then white white.

It seems like my hair used to be more red, it might be just a touch more golden-red than it used to be. I am crossing my fingers that it will fade instead of having white hairs come in...

Shimmy Sally

fortworthgal said:
My grandmother, mother, and myself all have the same color of auburn hair naturally. When my grandmother was quite elderly, her hair was a strawberry blonde color It had lightened up so much, but she never colored it.
decodoll said:
Must just be my family then! We just go straight from red to white.

All of my family has either red, curly hair -or- the very light auburn, wavy hair that I have. Both tend to turn a beautiful snow white. I am getting a white streak at the widow’s peak now. I prefer that to the salt&pepper look, or yellow, which luckily does NOT run in my family.

One thing that cracks me up is color charting to determine what "season" of colors one should wear. I really frustrate color analysts. It's funny, because my hair/skin/eye coloring doesn't fit any predetermined seasonal code. Hey, some of us are unique.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I can confirm the fading bit. I used to be a quite red strawberry blonde, with auburn tones underneath. Now I pass regularly for a blonde in the summer, with light red tones! And I'm only 42 :eek: But, the up side is that while there is a tonne of white in there, which is also causing the lightening, I will go pure white by my late 50s, which I think is going to be a really great look for vintage 40s and 50s styling. I hope. :D

Shimmy Sally

Caledonia said:
I used to be a quite red strawberry blonde, with auburn tones underneath. Now I pass regularly for a blonde in the summer, with light red tones!
Your hair looks very light in your icon picture. Does your hair wave that way naturally, or do you have to set it? Your style is gorgeous.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbug, that teal sweater looks great on that redhead! With being blond for so long, I've found that red does a whole different 'thing' to my appearance! it's getting some time to get used to :)
color fading; my grandmother is a redhead and her hair is still a vibrant red. She swears by taking vitamin B..whenever she stops, her hair starts to fade again.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Another redhead wearing orange and black:

47b6d620b3127cce8b8fd6cf13e400000025108AatmbRq2ctP

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh lets not talk about autumn yet!:eek: I feel like I've just begun to really enjoy my summer! but yet, the leaves are already starting to turn colors on some trees :( time just goes way too fast :mad:
hair fading; I saw in the store (I think by pantene) but there's hair glaze for blonds , brunettes and redheads. was eyeing it myself, but wanted to know if anyone tried any kind of glaze for hair yet.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Are you thinking of the John Frieda glazes? I have heard good things about them from redheads and blondes (I haven't heard any brunettes' comments on the product.)

oh lets not talk about autumn yet! I feel like I've just begun to really enjoy my summer! but yet, the leaves are already starting to turn colors on some trees time just goes way too fast
hair fading; I saw in the store (I think by pantene) but there's hair glaze for blonds , brunettes and redheads. was eyeing it myself, but wanted to know if anyone tried any kind of glaze for hair yet.

Are you kidding? It's over a 100 degrees here and so hot--probably the hottest summer I have spent here. I can't wait for it to cool down again :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Are you thinking of the John Frieda glazes? I have heard good things about them from redheads and blondes (I haven't heard any brunettes' comments on the product.)

Those are more than likely the one's I saw.

Are you kidding? It's over a 100 degrees here and so hot--probably the hottest summer I have spent here. I can't wait for it to cool down again :)
lol ...see here it's a whole different story, we get 3 months of great weather then it's just plain cold :(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've seen those John Frieda glazes. I read a lot of negative reviews over on Makeup Alley so I haven't purchased one yet. Matrix has a really nice color conditioner for redheads that really boosts color and adds a ton of shine - I'll have to look in my bathroom cabinet and see what it is called.

I also like Aura's clove shampoo for brunettes. Since my hair is auburn, it adds a lot of warm honey/chestnut tones.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
You know, I never realized Rita Hayworth was a red head! I always figured her for a brunette [huh] I just bought the Frieda red hair glaze last night to try it out. It works fine, I did notice a difference with my hair color, there's diffinetely a 'boost' in the red!. I've had better results though with another hair glaze that I've bought at the salon that I go to....just goes along with what I've been learning lately, when you find something that works, stick to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925