Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfort Clothes?

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Ok..... I have seen many threads about what to wear, what not wear etc..

However what are the thoughts of what to wear that make you feel at rest, or at your best?

I'll start with one - A white cotton crew T-shirt (or vest in UK) everyday!

MA

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am most comfortable lazing on a Sunday afternoon in slacks, a white oxford shirt, and a nice cardigan. This is harder to do in the summer. In the summer comfort is relative, and includes linen... or the beach... or both.

For me, my feet have changed in size and I need to get some proper fitting dress shoes that are comfortable.

I tend to wear a lot of chino type pants with golf type shirts for work. The combo is relaxed but the collared shirt makes for a better impression.

For church i tend to go with a Sports jacket and tie with dress shirt and chinos. i lost some weight and my suits are too too big right now. However i can wear my tux now!

Here in the LA area summers can be hot to the point of brutal. I am a confirmed hiking shorts wearer when not on the clock.

SteveAS

Practically Family
For me, lately, it's a vintage Pendleton (or other brand) wool board shirt with jeans and a white cotton undershirt.

ortega76

Practically Family
As a stay-at-home dad, I need my clothes to be comfortable, durable and presentable. During this brutal Chicago winter, my dress has leaned toward dark denim jeans, t-shirt under a v-neck sweater and Doc Martins (or work boots). I can throw a sport coat over this to look relatively presentable in public or know that baby food won't stain. I can take this to play dates (I live in a bit of a high end neighborhood), errands, doctor's appointments or just a quick lunch.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it is the conditioning from Catholic school, but I am not comfortable without a collar. I can't wear t-shirts, they just feel wrong to me.

Agreed, I hate non v-neck ones, which I only wear as an undergarment. After work, it's a button-down shirt of some sort, usually a cardigan, slacks and slippers. In the summer, it's a short-sleeved dress shirt and no cardigan, only difference.

Maybe it is the conditioning from Catholic school, but I am not comfortable without a collar. I can't wear t-shirts, they just feel wrong to me.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Usually my comfort clothes consist of just jeans and a dress shirt, or a short sleeved one and polo shirts. My belt and shoes are leather, though. I sedolm wear my white tennis shoes anymore unless going to the park or something, it seems. These days, when going out, I'm almost always wearing some kind of a jacket, whether it is my corduroy sport coat, G-1 leather jacket, or a cotton/duck canvas jacket. The weather's cold here in southern California, too.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Mortally objectionable, or merely a venial sartorial sin?
Pax vobiscum and wear whatever feels right. ;)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Mortally objectionable, or merely a venial sartorial sin?
Pax vobiscum and wear whatever feels right. ;)

Well played sir.
I just don't find t-shirts comfortable at all (aside from not looking very good in them). I prefer beaters as undershirts anyway. I have very few crew neck sweaters either.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'd just feel cold wearing a t-shirt. I'm so accustomed to layering my clothing, I don't want to go back to feeling chilly like I remember so often. I spend a lot of time in air-conditioned rooms (I don't really think air conditioning is necessary unless it's the heat of summer), and that's just impractical. I do feel that I would lose something if I just went to wearing only t-shirts again. People are so used to seeing me how I am now, they'd wonder what was up, anyway. I mean, nobody in public would so much as bat an eye at me for wearing a t-shirt, but I would feel uncomfortable wearing just that. The fact that I'm not really well-toned or muscular has a lot to do with it as well. At 6'1" and 155 lbs, I'm thin, but my hips stick out from my waist pretty obviously, so I don't think a t-shirt would really look good unless tucked, and I'm not going for a baggy appearance. For that matter, I don't find some of the baggier styles of the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s all that appealing either, but likewise I don't particularly like suits that are too thin (the mid or late 1960s mod suits?).

What's comfortable for me though, is not comfortable for someone else. There are people that detest wearing shirts with any sort of collar on them, or pants (even jeans maybe).

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Casual to me is jeans a t shirt and a pair of PF Flyers, or Gab slacks, gab shirt and loafers and a ricky jacket.

T-shirts looked cool in the 40s and 50s, they looked killer with hollywood trousers and are a great thing to have underneath your shirt when you get too hot from jiving till 2am. They also look great when you have a High Life in one hand.

1b403d382440d87f_large

flix

New in Town
Casual to me is jeans a t shirt and a pair of PF Flyers, or Gab slacks, gab shirt and loafers and a ricky jacket.

T-shirts looked cool in the 40s and 50s, they looked killer with hollywood trousers and are a great thing to have underneath your shirt when you get too hot from jiving till 2am. They also look great when you have a High Life in one hand.

1b403d382440d87f_large

I absolutely agree

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I just don't find t-shirts comfortable at all... I prefer beaters as undershirts anyway. I have very few crew neck sweaters either.

:eek:fftopic: Wardrobe momentarily aside, recall your CUA comment.
If I may recommend Allan Bloom's The Closing of The American Mind.
Bloom taught philosophy at Chicago and his book is fantastic.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran