Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfort Clothes?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
In the cool-to-cold, which lasts if we're lucky from December to February-March, I wear jeans and a treasured ancient Eddie Bauer flannel shirt indoors. If it's really cold, I add a striped lightweight cotton shirt under it. And either Minnetonka moccasins or well-broken-in boat shoes.

The rest of the year, lightweight khaki trousers and the aforementioned light cotton shirt, sleeves rolled up, no shoes unless I'm going out for the mail.

I hate shorts and T-shirts. Who wants to dress like Bart Simpson?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Well put! Or Bobby Hill.

Thank you, sir. As for running errands clothes:

Cool-to-cold weather: A lot of combinations, including my bulky sheep-rancher coat plus Resistol Open Road clone, or my dark green London Fog hip-length jacket (that looks like waxed cotton) with a tan or brown hat. Jeans, usually, but clean, and boots.

Vicious summertime: khakis, one of my lightweight, light-colored shirts -- sleeves rolled if they're long-sleeved -- and boat shoes. Straw hat, though the shantung straws aren't a whole lot cooler than a felt; we'll see if that changes when I splurge on a real panama this year.

All I do, anyway, is dive from cooled house to cooled car, which I park in shade with sunshades in front and back, and from car to store, and then repeat in reverse. Sane humans don't stay outside in this 8-9 months of jungle heat any longer than they have to.

Edward

Bartender
For me, well.... I'm not sure I have any specific, generic comfort clothes. A lot depends on the situation. Psychologically, my comfort clothes are anything I feel truly good in, with a real effort to co-ordinate everything. Today I'm in jeans, which is unusual for me in the office (although perfectly acceptable in my department), largely influenced by my choice of shirt for today, a Russian, long sleeve cotton top, in black and white horizontal stripes (not navy; I forget which branch of the Russian services has the black). White undershirt beneath that, forties-cut, repro selvedge jeans, black patterned Oxford semi-brogues (leather soled Samuel Windsors). Outerwear is my trusty Aero Bootlegger custom in cordovan, with a B Wear newsboy in grey herringbone.

In terms of the comfort factor, I feel very uncomfortable, pretty much naked, without a hat on out of doors now. Oh, there's another one: one day last July, I slipped out in the morning without a pocket square in the breast pocket of my suit. Not a single person noticed except me, but I felt absolutely naked and quite ticked off by it all day. What can I say, I'm petty like that.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Summertime comfort clothes usually involve a pair of to-the-knee cargo shorts, T-shirt, and denim long sleeved, collared over-shirt, hiking sandals, and a fedora. Winter time is usually jeans, and shoes or boots, and everything else the same as summer except maybe the addition of a sweatshirt, either cotton or polar fleece.

Fifty150

One Too Many
For me, lately, it's a vintage Pendleton (or other brand) wool board shirt with jeans and a white cotton undershirt.
pendleton-fw10-collection-sm.jpg
a33_mainpic.jpg

Sounds like every time I look in the mirror. Ever get your hair cut at Amazon Barber Shop? I'm surprised we haven't met.
4189955.JPG

Bullwinkle

New in Town
well worn Wrangler 5 star relax fit jeans, generic polo shirt under a gray sweatshirt and Smartwool hiking socks. IF I go outside (it was -7 this morning w/3" of ice and about a foot of snow on top of that) I slip on my Ecco 6" boots and a 30yo Northface down parka.

redtag

Banned
I am at peace whenever I wear a cardigan sweater. I do not know about the others but this type of clothing brings out the best in me. I'll try to upload some pictures of my cardigans in the future.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Dress shirt (it's gotta be thin, crisp cotton... no sports shirts, t-shirts, polos), some broken-in 501's, and over-the-calf socks. Some leather soled brogues if I leave the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner