Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

MissMittens

One Too Many
How weird that I didn't know about it [huh] I wonder why they're in Ohio?? Boredom? lol

The first platinum-selling post-hardcore band ("emo" band - hate the term and only use it because it's understood) hails from Columbus OH.

Hawthorne Heights. Ironically, their first hit song was titled "Ohio is for Lovers"

martinsantos

Practically Family
Here is São Paulo steampunks are not so organized as in USA... The folks I knew were very atracted by the literature, and some tried ever to start writing in a H.G. Wells style. All I knew were a little younger, around 20-25 y.o. But their "XIXth Century" is a purelly literaly, fantasious one - and very interesting.

Their meetings at the Luz Railway Station became something like an internal joke. That magnificient station was a VERY elegant place in 1900. Not today. Of course people thre don't understand anything...

martinsantos

Practically Family
Yes (and it still is). In those days with the money from coffee - the very first reason for all the railroads around.

But passengers trains no more here. And the two greatest stations (Luz and the Sorocabana Station - this one a copy of the Penn Station in NY) got a strong decadence for long years. The Sorocabana Station is now a concert room. The Luz is still a station and a museum.

A few photos from the Luz Station:

23d2d64b62d1c6acdfc58173ea17ff6c54bf4bee78d2e3d9985b5b9b98f989f06g.jpg

ddf09f7afc83057c42e381a1c49246043ee18b6ab36e7cec92484d5d2a3c183b6g.jpg

d1d13a02926ec3942abe2ef7746332974698bfd141a1513baded9f8f9fdc49036g.jpg

MissMittens

One Too Many
Yes (and it still is). In those days with the money from coffee - the very first reason for all the railroads around.

But passengers trains no more here. And the two greatest stations (Luz and the Sorocabana Station - this one a copy of the Penn Station in NY) got a strong decadence for long years. The Sorocabana Station is now a concert room. The Luz is still a station and a museum.

A few photos from the Luz Station:

23d2d64b62d1c6acdfc58173ea17ff6c54bf4bee78d2e3d9985b5b9b98f989f06g.jpg

ddf09f7afc83057c42e381a1c49246043ee18b6ab36e7cec92484d5d2a3c183b6g.jpg

d1d13a02926ec3942abe2ef7746332974698bfd141a1513baded9f8f9fdc49036g.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm glad you still have places like this and that all the buildings aren't skyscrapers

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's what happens when the fellas stick their noses in the Powder Room. And then we step in and steer it right back to where it belongs.

Recent comment from a passerby as I was cleaning off the sidewalk in front of the theatre: "How can you shovel snow in a dress??" Response from me: "As fast as I can."

1finefeline

New in Town
That's so funny LizzieMaine. I often get people saying "Aren't you freezing to death!?" to me (even though it isn't that cold here in Louisiana) and I think it's funny, because women have been wearing dresses long enough they ought to know how to stay warm in them! Enough layers of tights and I was warmer today than I am when I wear jeans...and I bike a mile and a half to school each day! :D

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Two comments this week at work. One woman said that she saw me every day and thought that I always looked really nice, dressed well and wore something 'fun' in my hair. She said she'd been wanting to tell me that!

The other comment was this morning. Another woman who works in my building said 'you look really lovely. I hope you have an exciting date tonight!' To which I replied, 'I hope so!' *LOL*
X
BD

Puzzicato

One Too Many
"Did you get dressed together?" - I was wearing a full-skirted sweater dress & had my hair in a pomp, one of my colleagues was wearing a white RAF sweater & had his hair dressed with pomade. We didn't dress together. We just have a similar aesthetic.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Have been in London since Monday, so I have ventured out in a hat that normally I wouldn’t wear at home -due to being such a small place, and most people knowing of me! I have been so surprised at not being laughed at, and have had such uplifting comments such as...’ ‘She’s so amazing’ and ‘she’s Gorgeous’! :eek: Blimey, I’ve never had such flattery before, and these came from such well dressed ladies too- young and old! Ok, I still had the funny looks- but who cares when you have been called gorgeous and amazing!:D

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I wasn't dressed vintage at the time, but I was telling a co-worker about my everyday clothes, and she said "You actually DO look like one of those pinup girls! But I don't mean you're naked or anything." lol!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I don't dress full-out vintage, but I have a lot of vintage pieces that I mix, and several vintage dress (by vintage, I tend toward a period from the 1950s to the "retro" items of the 1970s). I had a student -- a guy -- ask me one day was I really "into" clothes. I answered that I certainly think about what I wear, and that I shop mainly thrift stores and love vintage. He said, "Well, it's just always nice to see you and that you put thought into what you wear. I can't stand seeing most of my professors who just look like slobs all the time."

He was funny about addressing the subject, and said, before he started, that he hoped he wasn't crossing some kind of line. I thought it was sweet, and I told him I was glad someone appreciated my efforts! He didn't mean it in any kind of "coming on" way, he just wanted me to know he appreciated that I looked professional. Certainly, professors aren't known for their dress sense, no matter how sophisticated they are!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
My friends and I were catching a train to the city for a Birthday party and were approached on the platform by a dear old lady. She told us how lovely we looked and how we looked like we were from the 1920's and she said with a knowing look that it was a lovely time. She looked so happy it really made my day. We also got compliments at the party, one of the ladys asking if we had seen the movie "Burlesque"and how much her daughters would love to learn how to do their hair like us.
We also had feedback after the party that everyone was asking who were the three well dressed girls. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Emo type young fella sat opposite me on the train complemented me on my saddle shoes the other day, then started paying alot of attention to the contents of his rucksack! Bless! I was quite chuffed.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
So far today I've had:
"where are you going dressed up?"
"do you have a meeting later?"
"are you expecting someone?"
Boo! People at my work don't really dress up unless they have a reason so when I dress up they think I must be doing something important. :(

And the nicer ones:
"don't you look dandy"
"very pretty; very girly"

Oh well! *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland