Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose everyday clothes are taken for a costume this time of year! I think it's more amusing than insulting. (A matching tattoo for your costume? Really?! lol)

I was thinking perhaps this year I'll dress as a "21st century person" for halloween, so I can be in costume and blend in simultaneously. ;)

aha I was considering that too! Like someone from Jersey Shore or something, except I'd run the town out of hairspray getting my hair so big :p

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Do it! I remember a few years ago Dita went as an everyday modern girl for Halloween - blonde wig, bronzer, nude lipstick, big sunglasses. lol She posted a picture of it on her twitter.

rue

I thought that this Lisa Freemont video should be posted here. Especially pay attention at the 10:20 mark. It sure made me feel better :D

[video=youtube;WUwtk0k2bak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUwtk0k2bak[/video]

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
This is sort of the opposite of 'comments you get when you dress vintage', but I still thought it was share worthy. I was in Wal-mart recently, waiting in a long line with an older woman to my right in another long line. She was a little thing, I'd guess in her late 60s or early 70s, and although she wasn't dressed vintage, her silver-and-white hair was a vision of perfection in a 1920s finger-waved bob. It was gorgeous! I found myself sneaking glances at her, and then eventually when she caught me looking, I mouthed to her that I loved her hair, it was so pretty. The look on her face was priceless - she looked genuinely surprised, like it was the last thing she ever expected to get when she left for Walmart that day - a complement on her hair from a woman 30 years her junior. She thanked me and blushed!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Oh that's nice of you Clabbergirl we need more people like you.

Unlike what I am now reading as I write this over on Face book where a group of ladies are having a go at us for dressing vintage. Ok every one has a right to a opinion but from what I can make out from reading what they are saying they could be also members on here!.
Do we need members like that on here ?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I am generally not a fan of "memes" but in this situation I find it quite appropriate. To those "ladies" on facebook I say
1449nv5.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Indeed! Well said Forthworthgal.

I'm sorry to hear about the facebook issues Paul. Sorry i've not posted much, but Mother is here to stay and it's Half-term, so it's been manic. Hope you had a fab day on your girlie pamper outing. x

Today i was wearing a green fleck, fifties suit and had my hair in a bun as it was dire weather. I was outside the antique centre with some posters to put up, so i had a sheaf of papers in my hand. An elderly american gentleman stopped me, a tourist i presume, and said i looked like a 1950's air hostess! I was chuffed, i did offer to show him to his seat and point out the emergency exits, but he settled for a tour round the shop!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The only way some people can pull themselves up is by putting other people down.

You have to feel somewhat sorry for someone who acts like that- the only way they feel good is by making other people feel bad. Imagine if you had to go through your entire life and the only time you felt good about yourself is when you put somebody down. Imagine how empty that person's life is. Imagine how little power they have over their own lives- the only power they feel they have is making someone else feel bad. It's got to be an incredibly sad existance.

I think that the powerlessness and lack of self-confidence combined with bullying to is a set of behaviors that children sometimes develop when they live in abusive (emotional, verbal, and physical) environments. That's not an excuse for them, but for me, it makes their situation even sadder to think about. :(

But in the least, remember that the best revenge is always to live well and be happy. :)

Louise Anne

Suspended
Today i was wearing a green fleck, fifties suit and had my hair in a bun as it was dire weather. I was outside the antique centre with some posters to put up, so i had a sheaf of papers in my hand. An elderly american gentleman stopped me, a tourist i presume, and said i looked like a 1950's air hostess! I was chuffed, i did offer to show him to his seat and point out the emergency exits, but he settled for a tour round the shop!

Your suit sounds fabulous Miss Sofia wish I could have seen you with it , your would have made my day also, and it's nice to here other like it and say so.

BTW I had a great time out and nice to be treated normal.

TheNightingale

New in Town
So far as the FB kvetchers and other haters...I adore horses and Thoroughbred racing. They're just something I grew up with (thanks, Mom!) and am therefore very passionate about. And this one gal just ragged me about it, viciously, going so far as saying some pretty nasty things that I won't repeat. It confused and bothered me, but then one day it struck me that she didn't have *anything* she was as interested in or passionate about. Nothing. And she was a Negative Nancy to boot. I decided perhaps she was just jealous of the fact I had something I loved and knew a lot about to boot and even evangelized for, and thus took it out on me, on horses, on racing, and borderline slandered and libeled me because of it.

Maybe this is the same sort of situation. Or maybe they're a little envious that we vintage ladies happily go about a modern, be-sweatspantsed world being externally different and living our lives when they may just not have the confidence to do the same thing, as much as they'd like to, either just due to lack of confidence or because others they love ridicule them for doing so. TBH I feel compassion for such people (not likely what they want to hear).

As sheeplady said, happiness is the best revenge. Or encouragement! I've had one woman tell me my look was an inspiration to her and she was going to start dressing vintage as well. :)

rue

oh that nice Rue, pleased for you.

Ladies do you think there is a certain age range of people who say nice things to you about what your wearing?

Thank you Paul :)

For me at least there is. Mostly elderly people and middle aged quirky people, like the lady at a vintage store I go to all the time that wears red cat eye glasses, but nothing else vintage.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Oh that's nice of you Clabbergirl we need more people like you.

Unlike what I am now reading as I write this over on Face book where a group of ladies are having a go at us for dressing vintage. Ok every one has a right to a opinion but from what I can make out from reading what they are saying they could be also members on here!.
Do we need members like that on here ?

Style Forum had a bit of FL bashing sometime back by other FLers. Some unkind snark directed towards a specific thread and how people look, a few wink-wink nudge-nudge comments about some of the gals here (not by name) and general complaints about this and that. But I suppose such output is what brings about dialogue. I still maintain that FL is a much more civilized forum than almost any other out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran