Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
ClaraB said:
By the end of the night I was almost sick of saying thank you to people and answering questions about my clothing or my hair, it was crazy.

This happened to me the other night! I was just out with a lot of friends, none of which dress vintage, and people kept coming up and telling me how much they liked my hair. Then a girl who I'd never met (but was a friend of a friend) came over and started enthusing to me for about 20 minutes about my hair, clothes, everything. I had my hair in rolls and an invisible hairnet, 40s slacks and a sweater, nothing TOO fancy. But I got a bit embarrassed because she was *so* enthusiastic and I just am being me! The great thing about being the only one dressed vintage, is to everyone else thinks you look like you stepped out of the past, even if you don't think you look particularly authentic!

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
I work at walgreens......for the time being.Anyways I dress 1940's everyday,victory Rolls and Red Lipstick is the norm for me and my fellow co-workers....well I get a kick out of all the old men that come in,they look at me and say"gee dont I know you from somewhere?" or this is my favorite,"I wish I was your age,I would show you a thing or two"....I always lady like reply.....fresh.......darling I am old enough to be your granddaughter you naughty boy".

Adele

One of the Regulars
ClaraB said:
I find that the comments really depend on what crowd you are with.

I know that when I am at school, with people that are all my own age (20 or so), no one will say anything to me about my look..

When I am with people a bit older than me I generally get nice comments.

The exact same thing happens to me. Indeed.

I haven't been fortunate enough to be around anyone who perhaps might have been around the time I love so much, but I do remember this one time I was in a store, trying on some '40s inspired shoes, and not to far off, was an older lady who was with maybe her granddaughter and I noticed her point at the shoes, and then she smiled. I thought it adorable.

The one that truly made me blush was when I was on my way to one of my classes, and while on a red light, I got honked at by the firetruck. I seriously felt my face turn red.

I always lady like reply.....fresh.......darling I am old enough to be your granddaughter you naughty boy"

Haha, that's one I have never heard, but it's neat.

HollyGolightly

New in Town
I was having lunch with my mom the other day and I was wearing a black 50' dress and a blue sweater. My mom got up to make a phone call and this waiter guy slid into the seat across from me and remarked and how much he loved my sense of fashion

"Its weird I know, and I never do this…but you’re so different from the girls I see all the time. I’m fascinated! Think I could maybe......get your number or e-mail?"(He was also blushing a lot it as sooooo sweet)

I almost died, that NEVER happens to me. And he is so good looking!

We have a lunch date Monday. ^_^

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
HollyGolightly said:
I was having lunch with my mom the other day and I was wearing a black 50' dress and a blue sweater. My mom got up to make a phone call and this waiter guy slid into the seat across from me and remarked and how much he loved my sense of fashion

"Its weird I know, and I never do this…but you’re so different from the girls I see all the time. I’m fascinated! Think I could maybe......get your number or e-mail?"(He was also blushing a lot it as sooooo sweet)

Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! Good luck on your date!!!

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
HollyGolightly said:

How adorable!

deelovely

Practically Family
Best of luck to you!!

That sounds so exciting! But I can imagine how nervous you must be as well. I bet it will go wonderfully though. Have a great time! And make sure you fill us in on how much fun you had!;)

katylouise

New in Town
I don't dress head-to-toe vintage every day, but there is almost always at least one vintage item on my person every single day. I grew up and still hang around a very suburban area in which everyone dresses the same, shops at the same stores, has the same "fashion-outlook". And it's also suburban Texas, which means trends are pretty much a year or two behind the rest of the world lol

My group of friends are pretty much used to it by now. They used to make comments back in the day about wearing "dead people's clothes" but now they're pretty fascinated by it. They're always asking me where I got something or what era it's from. Times change, I suppose! They've taken to calling me "The Remix Artist" because I'm pretty much known for mixing vintage and new items to create my own look. I have no qualms about mixing eras and styles...it's fun!

I do love it when older people recognize an item I'm wearing - it's sweet!

What I don't like is the small-town-mindset of anything different is automatically suspicious.

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
HollyGolightly said:
Thank you Ladies. It’s my first date EVER.

So I'm pretty nervous/ excited. Next few days are dedicated to figuring out when I’ll be wearing....

Good thoughts everyone! :D (I’m going to need it)

I was thinking about this today and wondering if you'd gone! :)

Adele

One of the Regulars
classicstyle said:
How adorable!

Really! That is exactly what I thought.

Nonetheless, how excited I am for you, HollyGolightly!

They used to make comments back in the day about wearing "dead people's clothes..."

You know, that reminded me of when I had a lot of black pieces ( mostly band shirts and skirts) and a friend once commented I had "funeral clothes". I honestly did not know what to say to that .

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Only one negative comment

Adele said:
Really! That is exactly what I thought.

Nonetheless, how excited I am for you, HollyGolightly!

You know, that reminded me of when I had a lot of black pieces ( mostly band shirts and skirts) and a friend once commented I had "funeral clothes". I honestly did not know what to say to that .
Not to too long ago, I was at a cocktail hour and wearing a black suit and a not very sober guest said that I looked like an old maid school teacher. That was the one and only negative comment I ever heard.

Mojito

One Too Many
I took this as a compliment, even though it wasn't intended that way...

The husband of great friend has nothing in common with me, beyond our interest in running. He confided to another person in our group that he thinks I'm "weird" (and not just because of the vintage clothing thing...I'm far too bookish, and any chick who writes articles for historical periodicals on Edwardian mercantile maritime practices can't be altogether sane).

He was out at our place for my birthday last weekend. The rest of my circle of friends are entirely accustomed to my rather eclectic taste in clothes and music, so they were not suprised when I came to greet them...wearing a 1920s lace afternoon dress and capeline with velvet flower trimming.

He arrived, the whole "weird" issue resurfaced...and in I swanned, kisses on cheeks for the guests. My friends told me later they were doubled over laughing, as it was everything he'd complained about me to the maximum degree.

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
Last night I went to a fundraiser dressed in fedora, shirt with cufflinks, and long black coat. I had a person stop me in front of a bar and tell me that I looked great. Nice when someone comments in a positive fashion.

Mojito, that guy is probably right. You probably are weird. Then again, you have to wonder why anyone would want to be 'normal' when you look at what that entails. In the U.S., we claim the right to individuality, but step outside of the 'norm' and see what kind of reaction is sometimes delivered. :rolleyes: It's strange how wearing a shirt and tie was at one point the 'norm' and now it's far more shocking to some people than the most offensive t-shirts. lol All-in-all, I receive a lot of positive feedback from people, but they know I'm a bit eccentric anyway.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been compaired to alot of different people when I dress vintage. Rosa Parks, Edith Head and Billie Holliday. People always complement me but they usually get the decade wrong. They usually refer to my very 30's or 40's look as the 20's or 60's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot