Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by ITG, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Lenore

Lenore Practically Family

I just had a hilarious moment when a friend of a friend "met" me on Facebook. She replied to a comment of mine with "Can I just take a moment to tell you that I find you bombshell beautiful, and your eyebrows are a masterpiece?"

I was incredibly flattered. She then told our friend she wanted to assemble a retro wardrobe and "style the hell" out of me, to which my friend responded that she'd have to confirm I already don't own said wardrobe. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Don't let her style the hell out of you. A good dose of hell is a woman's most important quality.

Ms_Kim, St. Louis and queen of jacque like this.
  3. Lenore

Lenore Practically Family

Lizzie, I think if she would try, it would be a long and arduous process!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. slythwolf

slythwolf New in Town

When my hair was longer, my pin curl S-wave would get a lot of "I love your finger waves!" I can't do a finger wave to save my life.

I did once mention off-hand to a coworker that I do pin curls every night and she replied, "I have a set of those at home." A set of what exactly?

5. retrorover

retrorover New in Town

I live in the NYC area so a lot goes unnoticed. A few times when I've worn 1940s pinafores I get asked if I'm a Girl Scout a little odd since I'm 1937

slythwolf likes this.
  6. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Last night went out in a look I normally wear. It was a bar with several of my other vintage friends and two ladies kept looking at me. They motioned me over and told me i looked like I stepped out of time. That was very flattering considering I didn't try anything special with my look that day :)

7. swanson_eyes

swanson_eyes Practically Family

My coworker says all my hairdos are "classic". And when I told my other skirt-loving coworker that I finally got my new skirts that I'd ordered online, her immediate response was "What era are they?" Ha--she knows me.

Lady Day likes this.
  8. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage A-List Customer

On holiday while shopping a lady came up to me and told me how cute I looked and that I reminded her of a girl from one of her daughter's movies. She then asked me if she could take my photo so she could show it to her daughter, I said yes and posed for the photo.
    The way I was dressed that day my outfit reminded myself of Molly from the American Girl series.

Later that week on my way back from holiday the lady behind the counter said I looked like a Disney princess.

9. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

I went vintage-shopping with a friend and her three-year-old son the other day. This lady is a genuine kindred spirit -- we both always do Golden Era hair & make-up -- so I assumed her little boy was used to the look. But he stared at me with the biggest smile on his face for a long time and then burst out (at the top of his lungs) with "NICE LIPS!!!" At which the entire jam-packed store broke up in laughter.

queen of jacque likes this.
  10. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage A-List Customer

A man told me I should have my style copyrighted. This way no one can dress like me. :)

Shadomega likes this.
  11. Benproof

Benproof A-List Customer

My gorgeously Irish hand knitted thick cottage aran pullover:

"Did your grandmother knit that for you? Haha!"

Me: "My grandmother has no arms."

:)

fgradowski likes this.
  12. miss moneypenny

miss moneypenny New in Town

The other day when I got on the bus the driver said, "you look just like my mother going to church in the 50s." She was very sweet and we talked about fashion until my stop.

Once someone told me I looked like a pilgrim which was funny because I was wearing all bright colors that day.

13. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

The other day I went out to dinner with my brother and his wife, we haven't seen eachother in 8-ish years, I was in my typical 1940s style for me which means a Rita Haywoth type wavy/ curly style, while I can victory roll I don't very often because I find my set harder to use the next day. My sister in law said I looked so cute and 1950s, I said thanks and was going to leave it at that but my husband laughed a bit and shook his head. When she asked what I explained that it was actually war era 1940s. She then told me no you have to have those roll things, at this point my husband was trying to tell her to stop without saying it. So I explained it and needless to say not she knows that rolls aren't nessisarily a part of a 1940s look.

14. QuirkyQueen

QuirkyQueen New in Town

A few years ago i was told by a pensioner that my trousers had gone out of fashion by about 60 years and was i aware of this? - and that i was very brave to sport such a look...... i had to explain what vintage was..... i dress like a 1940's librarian about 50% of the time...... My husband describes my style as Jessica Fletcher-esque!

15. Miss Moonlight

Miss Moonlight A-List Customer

I was once told that I looked like the 'bad girl' on a 50s pulp novel cover. lol
    That works for me.

16. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

This wasn't so much a comment as a chance encounter of the golden era kind. I was walking my beagle in Tower Grove Park, the most beautiful park in St. Louis (dates back to the 1870s), when I saw a superbly dressed young gentleman on the path coming toward me: camel hair coat, glen check suit, dashing tan wool cap. As always I was dressed in my typical late-1930s to mid-1940s middle-class, slightly frumpy, respectable style. He smiled, inclined his head, and touched the brim of his cap. He was quite a bit younger than I am (maybe mid-20s) so it wasn't flirtatious: just gentlemanly and lovely. I thought he was saluting the respectability and effort, maybe.

It was a truly wonderful moment for me.

17. N.K.

N.K. New in Town

My boyfriend and I often receive compliments when we're out :) We also had some negative responses but the overall comments are positive. One time we had a group of women stopping us, yelling "you look like Peaky Blinders!" haha! That was a lot of fun. Has it also happened to any of you that people stop you because they want to take a picture? The last few times we were in Amsterdam we had at least one person asking if they could take a picture because "oh, you two look so pretty". It's very sweet!

St. Louis likes this.
  18. Miss Holloway

Miss Holloway New in Town

Last week a neighbour said my red lipstick reminded her of burlesque. I thought it was a compliment until I noticed she looked a little surprised when I said "Thank you! That's what I was going for." Oh well...

Edward, Ms_Kim and St. Louis like this.
  19. Ms_Kim

Ms_Kim New in Town

I've been easing back into my vintage closet, and loving every minute of it. We were in Las Vegas at the end of April when Viva Las Vegas was wrapping up and seeing everyone dressed so nicely just reignited the spark for me. My favorite is when folks make the comment of "I used to wear something like that when I was your age!" :)

Miss Holloway, St. Louis and 3fingers like this.
  20. Ms_Kim

Ms_Kim New in Town

Yesterday, someone told me I looked like I needed a pair of castanets to complete my look, and she kept calling me Lolita. :rolleyes: o_O I was wearing a pretty casual outfit - cuffed modern jeans and cardigan, but a vintage blouse, a red flower in my hair, and red lipstick. I can't imagine how they'd react if I show up wearing my crinoline under my skirt... :p

The day before was better - I actually wet set my hair for the first time and had some pretty awesome curls. Modern outfit, but definite vintage vibes.

St. Louis likes this.