Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

LuckyLady

New in Town
Trust me on this, come graduation, you'd rather be "that girl who wore really cool clothing" than just another face in the crowd, even if you wear what's popular now. There's always a few of "those" kids like yourself at every high school nowadays, and are usually very highly regarded and well-liked as time goes on. Not saying everyone will like it, but you'll surely stand out. I had a friend who believed he was the reincarnation of John Lennon, and dressed the part every day. :p

Oh, and if you've already got a bit of a "rep" (as anything) or have a certain crowd you hang with, don't start doing vintage overnight. Start slow & work into it over time. A nice dress or hairdo one day, etc.

Most important: BE YOURSELF! And be happy with yourself! Don't ever feel like you have to do anything in HS to prove anything to anyone. You're not some counterculture kid with daddy issues or some nerd trying too hard to look cool, you just value the look and tradition of yesteryear. High school is one of the hardest places to try and be the slightest bit different, but you'll appreciate the fact that you did for years to come.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Magdalena said:
That gets me thinking ,I'll be going to high school a year from now.( I know I'm young!!!;) :eek: )Do you think I should brave it and wear it or should i tone it down? I 'm a little scared of what my peers will think. I'v already worn a bit of it in front of some of them and I just wanted to crawl into a hole.The girls can be really nasty!!!Please tell me what you think!!!

I graduated high school a year ago. My advice is to BRAVE IT FULL FORCE! When you go into grade 9, everyone is so scared of everyone else that they don't really made rude comments, they focus on being friendly to everyone. By the time you hit grade 11 and 12 anyway, you won't give a care what anyone thinks, and people will adore you for being "that vintage girl." The happiest people in high school are the ones that do their own thing, not the ones trying desperately to "fit in." Besides, years later when people look at their yearbooks, they'll remember you the most ;)

Trust me: even though I had to wear a uniform to school, I was always known for my wildly coloured, huge punk-rocker do' and crazy makeup. Did girls get nasty and spread rumors? You bet! Did I ever once think about what they said? Never!

Yesterday, on my way to the Scottish Highland Games, I stopped into a bagel shop, and the girl behind the counter asked me if I was going to a wedding :rolleyes:

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Magdalena said:
That gets me thinking ,I'll be going to high school a year from now.( I know I'm young!!!;) :eek: )Do you think I should brave it and wear it or should i tone it down? I 'm a little scared of what my peers will think. I'v already worn a bit of it in front of some of them and I just wanted to crawl into a hole.The girls can be really nasty!!!Please tell me what you think!!!

I wouldn't tone down what you love to wear in the hope that nasty people will suddenly stop being nasty. They won't, and even if they did stop making those comments, would you really feel so great about their approval if it were all based on what you happened to wear?

It'll all be over in four years anyway. ;)

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY got a good comment from my mother today on how I dress.
outback.jpg

Went to a small classic car show today. So I did my hair with hotsticks.
w006.jpg

These are the buttons on the blouse. They have dog heads in them.

But she actually said I looked very pretty today. I almost fell out of my chair when she said it. I stopped at her house for lunch before going to the car show with my babe.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but....this just P****d me off.

jerk.jpg

I know, a lot of you here wear shape wear and corsets (good for you, I wish I had the patience) but in general women don't, and comments like this make little 'ol 5'8" size 12-14 me angry.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Caity Lynn said:

jerk.jpg

I know, a lot of you here wear shape wear and corsets (good for you, I wish I had the patience) but in general women don't, and comments like this make little 'ol 5'8" size 12-14 me angry.
I dont either, I'm petite only in the 5'5 part of me and I happen to be taller than my mom and older sis lol. I agree and am so glad there are a lot of fellas out there who like us curvier gals.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Thanks c-dot. I love giving you ladies pictures. You can never have too many pics of vintage. ;)

Also, I agree with you Caity Lynn and Pretty Faythe. How is a small woman so feminine? MM wasn't all that little. She got up to I think about 170 in her career at 5'6". So that person that made that comment to you ladies needs to shut the f*** up.

Elaina

One Too Many
People like that are just looking to be miserable. I'd love to be a couple sizes smaller (8), and am working on it, but I don't let my extra curviness work against me either.

Besides, IME guys like this are good for a free and expensive meal. They foot the bill for you to put up with them for an hour, and that's all they're good for.

I love men, but that's the key word: men. Boys like that beg for you to take advantage of them.

C-Dot, I love that dress!

epr25

Practically Family
I was at Walmart the other day checking out and the lady that was ringing up my things told me "Oh you look so retro like you were from the 80's". I just smiled and said thank you. I think I might have a photo of the dress that I was wearing but to give you an idea it was a 40's feedsack day dress. Very 80'slol

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
epr25 said:
I was at Walmart the other day checking out and the lady that was ringing up my things told me "Oh you look so retro like you were from the 80's". I just smiled and said thank you. I think I might have a photo of the dress that I was wearing but to give you an idea it was a 40's feedsack day dress. Very 80'slol

I actually got the same response from an old friend of mine who actually never seen me in vintage clothes, the first thing he said was "something is seriously wtrong, where's all the black?" and later on when we discussed his girlfriends clothing I asked him what timeperiod I looked like, he said "70's, 80's maybe". I did have a repro 40's military style dress MADE in the 80's, but certainly didnt LOOK like it. I guess he never paid much attention in history class...:eusa_doh: Even with my hair in victory rolls...

texasgirl

One Too Many
We did an Old West show this weekend- like 1880s. We showed up at a restaurant all decked out and the hostess asked us if we were coming from the Renaissance Festival!?! :eusa_doh:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:

jerk.jpg

Marilyn most certainly was NOT little! I've read 85% of the books ever published on her, and I consider myself somewhat of an authority on her life. She was 5'5 1/2", at her slimmest (before her death) was 36-22-36, with Billy Travilla reporting her average measurements to be 38-25-39. As he was her chief costume designer, he undoubtedly wielded his measuring tape most often.
Marilyn also had average breasts, at her largest being a C cup. She was also an expert padder, and a classy dresser - when I see impersonators showing tons of cleavage, I know the myth about Marilyn has taken over. She was an extraordinary woman with extraordinary curves; Thats partly what has made her so memorable for generations.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol, the thing that gets me is, the guy was WATCHING a movie wit her in it. She's pretty average...not that I don't adore her and think he body is fabulous!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
lol, the thing that gets me is, the guy was WATCHING a movie wit her in it. She's pretty average...not that I don't adore her and think he body is fabulous!

You're right! Marilyn was no more attractive than any of us - She just knew how to work what she had.

As for that guy... Well, we can't know what goes on in everybody's head :rolleyes:

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
As I was leaving a cafe yesterday afternoon a COGIC minister, whom I had never laid eyes on before, hollered across a crowded parking lot, "afternoon Rabi!" Needless to say, I am not a Rabi or even Hebrew for that matter but I guess my dark suit, fedora, and full beard was all he needed to conclude I was a Jewish man of God. I smiled and waved back as I got in my car wishing I had had the presence of mind to holler back "shalom" to him.

I just thank God he didn't mistake me for Billy Gibbons! :eek: :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn