Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
See, Mike knows how to take, and give a compliment, unlike that &&*%#$ I mentioned on the last page...

I hate to think of someone so snobby that they can't accept a compliment and is downright rude to boot. And I'm not necessarily defending this guy, but from what I read in this thread about the negative comments from people regarding us when we dress vintage, or people who make fun of us, maybe he just thought you were mocking him.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
At work I get a lot of ladies coming up to me and putting their hands on me. They poke my hair, tug at my blouses, and try to touch my seams. One woman nearly hauled me over the counter I was behind so she could see my make-up.

I don't mind if someone says "may I look at you hair/makeup/clothes" because they are respecting my personal space - But come on, you don't just run up and grab someone! I am not a public exhibit, for Pete's sake!

It's gotten to the point where I don't care about being delicate. If anyone tries to touch me I back away, and if they persist (which they usually do) I tell them flat out not to touch me. What else am I supposed to do? [huh]

People never cease to amaze me!

m_lamb99 said:
honestly I have to believe that men and women both have their strengths and weaknesses and in the end it is these differences that bring us together. Its sort of a Yin and Yang thing where one shapes and defines the other.
Anyways I love to see a woman dressed like a lady and if anyone stroles past my neck of the woods I will be happy to compliment you as I hold the door.

What a perfect gentleman. Your wife is a very lucky woman :)

m_lamb99

New in Town
Thanks C-dot I appreciate the compliment.

It looks like i get to go to Toronto next month on business but unfortunately its only for the day. Last time I was there we stayed overnight and I managed to spend a few hours walking around downtown. I had a great time even though it was a short trip.

Mike

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lily Powers said:
I hate to think of someone so snobby that they can't accept a compliment and is downright rude to boot. And I'm not necessarily defending this guy, but from what I read in this thread about the negative comments from people regarding us when we dress vintage, or people who make fun of us, maybe he just thought you were mocking him.

I thought about that, which is why I gave him 2 compliments, with sincere smile, eye contact... there is no way he could have take it wrong unless he's a paranoid. Which is possible. It was odd.

Mojito

One Too Many
C-dot, I had a funny experience like that at a friend's bbq a couple of weeks ago. I knew her slightly, and she was being very sweet about what I was wearing, my cloche, etc...but then she got right up close into my face so she could see my eye makeup. I have a fairly strong sense of personal space, and felt extremely uncomfortable with that close scrutiny.

Nice experience at the races on Saturday, though - I'd never been, but was invited up to the Bacardi Bar at Rosehill to celebrate a friend's birthday. I was wearing a green column dress (non-vintage, but with a slight fortuny vibe), beaded and embroidered wedges and a 20s horsehair capeline. Afterwards we were waiting outside when an English gentleman came up to tell me how fabulous he thought I looked, and that the ladies in his party agreed but were too shy to come up and say so which is why he did it. Then they came up and were just gorgeous - they loved the dress, the shoes, the hat and that I'd 'made an effort'. I was a bit bowled over, but thanked them and mentioned the hat was vintage - 'oh, yes! We know! We spotted it!'...so they were evidently of the vintage club, and very lovely!

I was in a good mood as I've never bet on horses beyond the Melbourne cup sweeps, but placed two bets...and both came romping home, so I left with more money than I arrived with!

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
23SkidooWithYou said:
I was wondering if people really did get tattooed seams. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're commited to the look. Just think, no runs and no crooked seams...well, I guess that depends on your tat artist!

Didn't they draw seams up their legs when stockings were hard to come by in WWII?

I have a good friend from college who has tattooed seams. Personally, I'd jump on it if I could find an artist that I trusted enough. Her seams are perfectly straight, but I worry about crooked seams!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Miss Jess said:
I have a good friend from college who has tattooed seams. Personally, I'd jump on it if I could find an artist that I trusted enough. Her seams are perfectly straight, but I worry about crooked seams!

I draw my seams on - I've been thinking of getting them tattooed on. I have a good artist in mind, so I might do it.

If I do, I'll report back for sure!

SayCici

Practically Family
Aaah, I plan on becoming quite covered with tattoos and I have too many plans for my legs to only get seams! I'll just wear my stockings ;), I think they're fun!

cecil

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
At work I get a lot of ladies coming up to me and putting their hands on me. They poke my hair, tug at my blouses, and try to touch my seams. One woman nearly hauled me over the counter I was behind so she could see my make-up.

I don't mind if someone says "may I look at you hair/makeup/clothes" because they are respecting my personal space - But come on, you don't just run up and grab someone! I am not a public exhibit, for Pete's sake!

It's gotten to the point where I don't care about being delicate. If anyone tries to touch me I back away, and if they persist (which they usually do) I tell them flat out not to touch me. What else am I supposed to do? [huh]

People never cease to amaze me!

What a perfect gentleman. Your wife is a very lucky woman :)

I get this, more often than not it's people grabbing my arms (sometimes from behind, scary) to "look at" my tattoos. I've gotten so snappy about it that when a friend grabs my arm from behind I jerk it out, spin around and shoot daggers out of habit. Poor friends.

Inky

One Too Many
cecil said:
I get this, more often than not it's people grabbing my arms (sometimes from behind, scary) to "look at" my tattoos. I've gotten so snappy about it that when a friend grabs my arm from behind I jerk it out, spin around and shoot daggers out of habit. Poor friends.

I started getting tattooed in 1980 - people used to touch me all the time without asking - amazing to me - I wouldn't touch another human without asking in a million years!

It's not as bad now, maybe because I'm older or it's more common here, I don't know, I do get it a few times a month but not nearly as much.

cecil

A-List Customer
Inky said:
I started getting tattooed in 1980 - people used to touch me all the time without asking - amazing to me - I wouldn't touch another human without asking in a million years!

It's not as bad now, maybe because I'm older or it's more common here, I don't know, I do get it a few times a month but not nearly as much.

Urgh I can only imagine how much worse it was before every man and his dog had a tattoo of some sort.

Also, now that I've thought about it I can't recall any of my tattooed male friends being grabbed in such a manner. Maybe I need to bulk up. Or just stand next to one of said friends at all times. lol

SayCici

Practically Family
I've never been grabbed (or had anyone ask if they could touch) but I've had plenty of gawking. I don't mind subtle staring or if someone asks to see something, but I've had someone stand in front of me, craning their neck this and that way to see my tattoos, bending down, etc. without actually acknowledging my presence.

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
I once went out to dinner with my family and whilst sitting at the table I noticed an older woman staring at me from the table beside and over from us. I figured she was staring at my chest tattoos but still, she kept staring for probably the entire time we were there. And then I noticed her mentioning it to someone else she was sitting with and then both were staring. Im pretty use to stares, but when it happens for a continuous amount of time and especially when Im out at dinner it starts to get annoying.
And you know how usually when you notice someone staring and you kind of stare at them back and get that lingered eye contact, they stop?... yea well, that didnt happen. So I started to give the woman an evil eye back. I mean common, let me enjoy my dinner and not feel like an animal at the zoo.
I guess when they were finished with their meal she decided to say something.... I just LOVE your tattoo! We've been eyeing it the whole time.

I guess the lady just had a natural frown. But still... its not nice to stare THAT long!

julia

New in Town
Miss 1929 said:
OK, this was an interesting lesson.

I went to the local food court for a bite, and on the way out saw a nice looking guy in his 40s, wearing a suit, tie, wing tips, and a FEDORA! It may all have been modern, but had a definite vintage late 40s thing going on.

Being a person who likes compliments, I threw him a "Snappy dresser!" as I approached where he was standing, then after I passed him, a "Nice Fedora!".

And I got... nothing. A cold stare. As if to say, and who are you to give ME compliments?

Granted, I was SO not dressed up - I was out doing many errands and I am wearing a velvet track suit, hair in a ponytail, and my lipstick had worn off. So I dod not look like his kindred spirit at all.

But it made me think about how many people might want to throw compliments our way, but are probably deterred by the rejection they get from JERKS like this guy.

And I hope he's a Fedoran, and comes and reads this and feels awful! Snob!
Do you think he could have been not paying attention and your compliments just didn't register? That has happened to me a few times, with compliments and hellos and after the person walks by and I realize what happened I feel like a total heel for not acknowledging them! I get way too spacey sometimes. Maybe he did too?

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I was walking with my 19 year old son and my husband and 16 yr old daughter, going to visit my mother-in-law in hospital. There was a group of people sitting on benches as we neared the hospital. They stared at me which is ok as I'm kind of used to that but my son who doesn't hang out with his mum that much these days was horrifed at how they just stared. I told him it was just the usual but he was quite outraged God bless him, he told my husband that one of the middle-aged men had raised his eyebrows and nudged his wife in the ribs as if to say take a look at that! My son just gave them a icy glare.lol. I was touched that my son was so protective. I had victory rolls and a flower in my hair,black skirt,blouse and cute cardigan with vintage style shoes. Certainly one of my more conservative looks.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
New years eve, wearing a red and very sexy dress to a very casual bar.. But got told by another vintage gal that I looked simply divine, 3 women wanted to get relaitionship advice from me (ha!) because apparently I looked like the sort of girl to ask. Got labelled The Red Lady and was utterly sought after by the chaps when I held court after midnight.

I need to wear red more often!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
julia said:
Do you think he could have been not paying attention and your compliments just didn't register? That has happened to me a few times, with compliments and hellos and after the person walks by and I realize what happened I feel like a total heel for not acknowledging them! I get way too spacey sometimes. Maybe he did too?

Maybe. I doubt it. But I go there a lot, as does everyone around here, so I am sure I will see him again, and if he's NOT dressed and I AM, the shoe may well be on the other foot!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy