Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ :lol: That makes me think of "Friends" where Monica is working in the 1950s themed diner and has to wear roller skates & a blonde Marilyn wig. Maybe that's how this mom pictured you? :lol:

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
^ That is funny! lol

There's this adorable little old diner near me that hasn't really been touched since about 1965, but I always feel mildly embarrassed when I'm there, because people frequently assume I either work there, or am some nutcase who just got dressed up in theme lol.

rue

^ :lol: That makes me think of "Friends" where Monica is working in the 1950s themed diner and has to wear roller skates & a blonde Marilyn wig. Maybe that's how this mom pictured you? :lol:
I remember that! lol Maybe she did. I know that's one of the strangest things I've had anyone say to me.
^ That is funny! lol

There's this adorable little old diner near me that hasn't really been touched since about 1965, but I always feel mildly embarrassed when I'm there, because people frequently assume I either work there, or am some nutcase who just got dressed up in theme lol.

It's so weird you said that, because we have a 50s diner here that I haven't gone in yet, because I feel the same way.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
My hair is bright red and I usually twirl my bangs into a pincurl as my go-to style. People always comment (mostly compliment!) on the color and style, especially children around 2-4 years old. I frequently hear "Mommy! Her red hair!" SO cute, and honestly, such a compliment!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My hair is bright red and I usually twirl my bangs into a pincurl as my go-to style. People always comment (mostly compliment!) on the color and style, especially children around 2-4 years old. I frequently hear "Mommy! Her red hair!" SO cute, and honestly, such a compliment!

The best compliment I have ever gotten was "Look at the pretty lady Mommy! Mommy! Mommy look at the pretty lady! Look at the pretty lady in the pink dress!" I really don't care if children point or ask questions, and I was very flattered by this little girl.

Although, when that comment happened I was dressed in an 1850s dress and it was on my honeymoon at a living history museum. So not "vintage" but really old vintage with a hoop skirt (that was pink!).

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
^ That is funny! lol

Not the Wayside in Barre by any chance?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Little girls always seem to like a vintage look. I've been volunteering at my kids' school once a week for several years and little girls always say nice things to me. Last week, one girl just said "Mrs. Gideon, you're so pretty".

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Little girls always seem to like a vintage look. I've been volunteering at my kids' school once a week for several years and little girls always say nice things to me. Last week, one girl just said "Mrs. Gideon, you're so pretty".

That's so lovely! The thing to remember is how honest children are - they speak as they find so it's quite the compliment!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That's so lovely! The thing to remember is how honest children are - they speak as they find so it's quite the compliment!
Yup! It made me grin from ear to ear.
I don't know what was going on today, but I got compliments on my hair everywhere I went. AND just when I was thinking I needed to run home and wash and set it because I was too lazy to pin it up last night. (my new perm keeps a set looking decent, not great, for 3-4 days)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Kamikat - Don't you love it when that happens!

I think this has been said before, but small children, babes in arms really, seem to find red lipstick fascinating. I have also had nice compliments from little girls. I tend to look reasonably colourful, plus what girl, big or small, doesn't like beads, bows and bangles!!

Flicka

One Too Many
My niece is in awe over one of her teachers who mixes in a lot of vintage and wears plenty of make up. It's her ideal; the more the better. I feel the pressure, so I always wear very bright red lipstick when I'm going to see her.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Kamikat - Don't you love it when that happens!

I think this has been said before, but small children, babes in arms really, seem to find red lipstick fascinating. I have also had nice compliments from little girls. I tend to look reasonably colourful, plus what girl, big or small, doesn't like beads, bows and bangles!!

Agreed! My little niece sits on my lap and just stares at my face and touches my hair!:D

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer

Ahh thats lovely, and also very true Kamikat!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sorry to intrude,
I sort of fell into this discussion as I was doing a search and I just couldn't help myself ....

I have spent more than three decades in an office environment and worked with lots of ladies ... and some "not-so ladies," and have had to deal with the public on a daily basis.

I just wanted to tell you ladies who adopt vintage dress, who try to enjoy a time when America encouraged people to have some character in our thinking and our every day lives as well: Please keep it up. There are many more people who appreciate your ingenuity, character and color than who snicker.

We may not tell you often enough, but the color you bring into the day is welcome in this gray, old world.

Just remember, some people light up a room when they enter and some when they leave. You are all some of the former.
Don't be put off by the latter.

Thank you,
and God bless!
Sam

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I often get asked if I'm a clothing designer because of my style/clothes. I don't mind that at all, it's rather flattering.

Better than the creepy stares, and comments, I get from impertinent men. Ha ha!
X
BD

betty amazing

New in Town
I just wrote a blog post with this thread in mind; I wasn't even really wearing too much of a vintage-inspired outfit. It was a cute dress with a frilled collar, and some brown leather shoes, I'd tried to finger-wave my hair... which was vaguely successful (you can see in the blog what I was wearing) and some guy at the bar I was working at actually said to me

"Does your husband send you out like that so other men don't hit on you?"

Um... what? I do get the occasional comment in the street, but in my place of work, where I can't escape without giving a reaction, it just hit home a little bit too much! He asked me why I couldn't just wear jeans, like the other girl I was working with - all I can say is that I like to be feminine, and to wear dresses, and if that isn't attractive to men then I'm not sure what the answer is!

Not that I'd want him to find me attractive, as he was clearly an imbecile.

xx

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I just wrote a blog post with this thread in mind; I wasn't even really wearing too much of a vintage-inspired outfit. It was a cute dress with a frilled collar, and some brown leather shoes, I'd tried to finger-wave my hair... which was vaguely successful (you can see in the blog what I was wearing) and some guy at the bar I was working at actually said to me

"Does your husband send you out like that so other men don't hit on you?"

Um... what? I do get the occasional comment in the street, but in my place of work, where I can't escape without giving a reaction, it just hit home a little bit too much! He asked me why I couldn't just wear jeans, like the other girl I was working with - all I can say is that I like to be feminine, and to wear dresses, and if that isn't attractive to men then I'm not sure what the answer is!

Not that I'd want him to find me attractive, as he was clearly an imbecile.

xx

Hearing stories like this always make me so sad, not just because they're getting another vintage lover down, but because they are just plain rude! I may not like everyone's style on the street, but I certainly would never say anything like that to their face - it is so disrespectful. It also makes me think that if this is how people act around strangers, how do they adress their loved ones?

It seems that in today's society dressing how we vintage-minded people do seems to others like it's an open-invitation for them to criticize us. I dress to please myself - if someone else likes it that's great, but if you don't there's no need to tear my self-esteem apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner