Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
As for your brother, applying said shoe sharply to the side of his head a few times might settle him down. It always worked for mine.

I'll give it a try. As kids, I would put all my might, hate, and strength into punching him, and he would just laugh. That's when I learned to fight dirty - pulling hair, biting, and punching in "vital areas." ;)

:eek:fftopic: Have you ever seen the movie Single White Female? Jennifer Jason Leigh kills a guy with a stiletto heel!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
You should buy a packet of corn pads, scruff them all up then put them in his bed. When he discovers them, tell him they came out of all your pre-worn, smelly, old lady shoes.

(My big brother always got the best of me, but I'd totally do something like that to him now, if he deserved it. ;))

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
You should buy a packet of corn pads, scruff them all up then put them in his bed. When he discovers them, tell him they came out of all your pre-worn, smelly, old lady shoes.

(My big brother always got the best of me, but I'd totally do something like that to him now, if he deserved it. ;))

lol We are kindred spirits!

I was driving to the grocery store today, wearing my aussie hat as I usually do. My phone starts ringing and I check the text, which said "What's that on your head?" After a short conversation, he ended up saying "I had to double-take, you looked like my grandpa in there".

Inky

One Too Many
went out last night for a glass of wine and to listen to a friend play guitar at a local wine/beer pub and aside from many looks, one girl came over to talk to me and went on and on about how I am the modern Rosie the Riveter and actually, it was really nice ;)

here's what I was wearing:

4055052349_42198a2183.jpg

50's vintage NOS Blue Bell dungarees, Bettie Page red plaid shirt, Muffy saddles and the now favorite faux bangs!

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
I was visiting my fam in Pennsylvania (small farm town USA) and I had victory rolls in...this cute old lady says "Is that your Easter Hair?" LMAO, OMG it was adorable that she thought that I had gone to the beauty parlor to get my hair done for Easter in two days. My husbands tells her, he says, "No, Ma'am that is her regular hair." (I was dumbstruck) So she says, "Oh." lol

cynroux

Familiar Face
Inky said:
went out last night for a glass of wine and to listen to a friend play guitar at a local wine/beer pub and aside from many looks, one girl came over to talk to me and went on and on about how I am the modern Rosie the Riveter and actually, it was really nice ;)

here's what I was wearing:

4055052349_42198a2183.jpg

50's vintage NOS Blue Bell dungarees, Bettie Page red plaid shirt, Muffy saddles and the now favorite faux bangs!

Inky, I'd almost kill, or at least risk a hangnail, for those dungarees. I can't find them anywhere!
You always look fabulous.

Inky

One Too Many
cynroux said:
Inky, I'd almost kill, or at least risk a hangnail, for those dungarees. I can't find them anywhere!
You always look fabulous.

thank you so much cnyroux! i am lucky to have them for sure - and it was thanks to fantastic fellow lounger Blondie. I'm scared to wear them too much but yet, i want to wear them all the time - catch-22!!

cynroux

Familiar Face
Oh a side note, I was dressed in a very conservative early 40's dark blue coatdress, hair nicely rolled, and the cutest pair of faux alligator shoes I've ever had the pleasure to own. I stopped in an antique store on the way to Philadelphia, when a woman approached me and asked "Do you do this all the time or do you have a real job?"

She was smiling, so I assumed this was a sort of odd compliment. [huh]

Inky

One Too Many
cynroux said:
Oh a side note, I was dressed in a very conservative early 40's dark blue coatdress, hair nicely rolled, and the cutest pair of faux alligator shoes I've ever had the pleasure to own. I stopped in an antique store on the way to Philadelphia, when a woman approached me and asked "Do you do this all the time or do you have a real job?"

She was smiling, so I assumed this was a sort of odd compliment. [huh]

lol, that's a rather interesting remark. what did you tell her anyway? maybe she meant shop? you probably looked like a lady who'd lunch at the department store restaurant whilst shopping and have her boxes delivered to her awaiting chauffeured sedan.

what a lovely image of vintage life that would be....(and clearly, i watch too many movies).

cynroux

Familiar Face
She was a vendor there. I just laughed and told her it was my day off, so I liked to dress smartly and thanked her. I think some folks are just a little awkward when then mean to be complimentary.

Oh how I'd love to have my boxes delivered! Alas, we got back into my pickup truck and instead of lunching with the girls at the counter, we fawned over an old tattooer with great stories that evening. He seemed to appreciate vintage too. :)
4037717069_46d4fba44c.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
cynroux said:

As much as I'd love to lunch at the old department store, i'd trade that for an evening with an old tattooer any day!

you and your hubby are dashing together!!

:eek:fftopic: I have become the "old tattooed lady" at my local shop, regaling the 20-something artists with raunchy stories of many MANY hours spent in Bob Robert's Spotlight Tattoo waaaay back when Leo Zulueta worked there and Charlie was a tiny tyke and Ava was just born. Good old days.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I was wearing a vintage suit, tie and hat the other day (as I do most days), and as I walked down the street after lunch, a construction worker in a hard hat said, "Man, you are looking sharp today. You have got it going on."

He was an African-American gentleman. In my experience, black folks are most appreciative of a vintage look, though I get compliments from all types of people.

It's funny -- as an average-looking guy, I went some 50 years not getting many remarks one way or the other about my appearance, but since I've started indulging my love of vintage clothing more fully (I've long worn vintage sportshirts on a regular basis, but now it's ties, trousers, hats, and jackets), I get a nice remark from someone or other almost every day.

cynroux

Familiar Face
Inky said:
As much as I'd love to lunch at the old department store, i'd trade that for an evening with an old tattooer any day!

you and your hubby are dashing together!!
:eek:fftopic:
Inky, that's my friend and studio-mate, Paul (Britishink here on the Lounge). He's like a brother and he's definitely a fashion and shopping enabler. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran