Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Berlin

Practically Family
I get alot of compliments and comments, cause the Vintage look isn't a very common look here in Holland.
Most of the time elder people tell me that I look just like them when they were younger, which is a huge compliment ofcourse!
And some tell me that it looks like that I just stepped out of a 1940s movie.

But there are plenty of people that don't understand what I am wearing or people that don't understand my look,they are most of the time teenagers.

cecil

A-List Customer
A few recent ones:

- Natalie Wood
- Rita Hayworth (twice, it's the hair)
- Jessica Rabbit (ha!)
- Film Noir heroine a few times (I like that one)
- Marilyn Monroe. Again! I don't get it, I'm a skinny redhead and don't have any '50s looking clothes.
- "Whose funeral?". I only wear black and have a penchant for hats with net veils, so it makes sense but I still generally answer with "Yours, unless you shut your damned mouth". Rude.
- the Black Dahlia. Makes sense, really.

And my personal favourites:

"Eva Braun...or...Poison Ivy!". Strange combo indeed.
"Somebody Philip Marlowe would go for". I love that book & film.

LadyL

New in Town
I've gotten a few amusing comments lately:

"So you dress like that all the time, even at work?"

Got that one when I was wearing all vintage inspired clothes but no actual vintage, so a more "normal" day. It's so funny to me that having personal style is so unusual to people.

"Are you a pin up?"

This was from a fairly wide eyed teenager - I had no idea what to say! "Yes, here is my official Pin Up ID card?" I don't do formal pinup modeling for pay or anything, but I do model for photographer friends of mine, and help promote a friends' pinup photography studio on occasion. I ended up telling her that I just dress up for fun. It was really cute though, it was like she was asking me if I was a superhero or something.

jemjefferson

New in Town
Normally I get very nice compliments and occasionally people curse at me. But today I had an extemely annoying woman on the phone say very loudly, "I have to get off now (the phone) and take a picture of this woman, so I can send it to people of wal-mart." Then she took a picture. I can hope that the webmasters of peopleofwalmart.com dont post it, but if they do, at least everone can see the cute outfit I was in.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
jemjefferson said:
Normally I get very nice compliments and occasionally people curse at me. But today I had an extemely annoying woman on the phone say very loudly, "I have to get off now (the phone) and take a picture of this woman, so I can send it to people of wal-mart." Then she took a picture. I can hope that the webmasters of peopleofwalmart.com dont post it, but if they do, at least everone can see the cute outfit I was in.

I doubt it lol unless you were dressed like this:

ATT00012.jpg

Or like this:

ATT00014.jpg

...Which I doubt very much!

If I were in your place, I would have told that lady off just as loudly!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
jemjefferson said:

I can't even believe this! WHO DOES THIS!?!? I get looks when i wear jeans and a coat to the grocery store! Just because i'm not in sponge bob square pants pajama pants doesn't mean I'm a freak...sheesh. I would have snapped a pic of her snapping the pic of me. Just to prove a point. People these days....:rage:

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yet another reason...

jemjefferson said:

...NOT to shop at WalMart!

ChristineSprig

New in Town
Yes...really.

As most of you seem to, my husband and I always get comments on how nice we look "all dressed up." Most people ask if we are going somewhere, but my husband faithfully replies, "No, no occasion, really. This is just how we dress all the time." To which the obligatory, "Really?" accompanied by a sly, disbelieving stare is always received. "Yes, really."

I don't quite know why people seem so surprised, however, it never fails that people comment.

Mostly, I think people are surprised that we take the time to put together such detailed outfits, hair and make up included, of course. I think that is the beauty of vintage fashion, though. It's all in the details.

Mostly along the lines of adorable, sweet, where are you going, and the occasional Betty Grable....(I'll take it)

Most fun is "I love those curls/rolls in your hair! How did you get it to do that??"

Reply: "Oh, just some spit and a comb" *big grin*

I get a lot of giggles with that, as well as a few dazed and confused looks. This makes it easier for me to sort who has a sense of humour.....

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Today at the mall, I was having coffee and this mother and her baby girl were sitting at the table next to me. The baby looked at me (with that red face they get when they're fussy), and I pouted back at her. The baby smiled - I made a few faces, and she started laughing. That made me laugh, so the mother looked up at me. She had on this strange expression, then all of a sudden she burst out into a grin and thanked me. "She's been fussy for a week and a half now, thank you for making her happy again. By the way - You look like you belong in a pin-up calendar!" :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
Today at the mall, I was having coffee and this mother and her baby girl were sitting at the table next to me. The baby looked at me (with that red face they get when they're fussy), and I pouted back at her. The baby smiled - I made a few faces, and she started laughing. That made me laugh, so the mother looked up at me. She had on this strange expression, then all of a sudden she burst out into a grin and thanked me. "She's been fussy for a week and a half now, thank you for making her happy again. By the way - You look like you belong in a pin-up calendar!" :)

That's it...I'm moving to Ontario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24