Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
*martini*time* said:
...I didn't get comments, but I got stared at...ALOT. It made me feel super self concious really. I felt so awkward. Then i looked around and remembered, "oh ya, I don't like to look like a slob when I go out" there were people there in tshirts with HOLES in them! The freakin' buffet was 30 bucks a plate...if it was Mcdonalds, then wear your dirty clothes...not at the fancy hotel...

Hear, hear! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton_Honey said:
That is swell! I think we should make you a name plate for your desk that says "Effie darling" :)

I missed that comment Lenore! Did you hug him and never let go?! I would have :D

You have now been christened Effie!

Lenore

Practically Family
C-dot said:
I missed that comment Lenore! Did you hug him and never let go?! I would have :D

You have now been christened Effie!

My great-grandmother would have been happy with that. That was her name. ;)

I would have hugged him, but my desk was in the way. I think he knows I was pleased though. :D

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
MarieAnne said:
I was part of a play this summer. But I wasn't acting, I was...well they called me the Stage Director but I was all over the place. Mostly overseeing the placement of props on stage (IN THE DARK!). Anyways, I wore my circle skirt to our last performance and everyone was asking me, "Who are you supposed to be?" Here's a pic
http://www.homefiresplayers.com/images/DSC_7317.JPG

Here's how that conversation should have gone:
"Who are you supposed to be?"
"FABULOUS, that's who!"

I think you look adorable!! That skirt is too cute!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
MarieAnne, may I ask where you bought your petticoats/ what type are they/ how many are you wearing? You look perfect.
DSC_7317.JPG

Lenore

Practically Family
Okay... so earlier I was Effie... now I'm Lucy?

My boss just came in and asked me "Would it hurt your feelings if I said you looked like Lucille Ball? I love her, she's so pretty." :rolleyes:

I don't think I look like Lucy, but it was a nice thought. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lenore said:
Okay... so earlier I was Effie... now I'm Lucy?

My boss just came in and asked me "Would it hurt your feelings if I said you looked like Lucille Ball? I love her, she's so pretty." :rolleyes:

I don't think I look like Lucy, but it was a nice thought. :)

I think people opt for 'Lucy' a lot because she is one of the only 'enduring' examples of vintage dress styles for most folks.

The re-runs of the show are still played, and are still funny and this is probably the only exposure to 'Vintage' that most people under 50 get. They mean to be nice and its a compliment, its just the only example they have to compare you to.....

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I think people opt for 'Lucy' a lot because she is one of the only 'enduring' examples of vintage dress styles for most folks.

The re-runs of the show are still played, and are still funny and this is probably the only exposure to 'Vintage' that most people under 50 get. They mean to be nice and its a compliment, its just the only example they have to compare you to.....

Yeah, it could be worse and they could say you look like Fred Mertz. :)

I get "lucy" quite often because of my red hair.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
I'm afraid I suffered tonight for vintage :( My sweetie absolutely had to rent a game tonight, and requested I drive him, after I set my hair. Could his timing have been worse? I got at least 14 teeny-boppers laughing hysterically at me sitting in my car, head full of rollers, trying to look immersed in the radio...

Oh honey, I feel your pain. This past Saturday I set my hair in pincurls and they weren't dry by the time my mister got home from work and said friends of ours and their kids were putting their Christmas tree up and would we like to come and bring our kids over. Of course, I said sure, but I knew I couldn't take my clippies out yet. So I frantically looked for a scarf or bandanna to cover my set with, but everything I tried looked bumpy and odd. Finally, I settled on a black faux fur winter hat that just barely fit over my set.

Everything went fine until we were sitting at their house and it was too warm to keep the hat on, which was mashing the clippies into my scalp anyway. I ended up taking it off and the missus of the house was sympathetic. The mister of the house, however, walked into the room and just stared with the oddest look on his face. To his credit, however, he didn't comment, my own mister piped up with, "Yeah, she's had that on since she saw the UFO...something about aliens reading her mind. At least she took the tin foil off finally."

:rolleyes: Smarty pants...

MarieAnne

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
MarieAnne, may I ask where you bought your petticoats/ what type are they/ how many are you wearing? You look perfect.
DSC_7317.JPG

Thank you so much! I made my petticoat and I am wearing one. I have it posted on page 177 of the Show us what you've made! thread.

Lenore

Practically Family
Aww, I ran downstairs for the birthday party of one of my tenants, and someone in the company said he loves my "30s/40s" look because it is so unique and he always looks forward to seeing me because I make his day bright. *sniffles* I think I'm going to cry. I know I blushed hard enough to match my lipstick...

Lillemor

One Too Many
If contemporary people just guess the right era, forget the right decade and think our style reminds them of someone from that era, in most cases I'd take it as a compliment.

vvv Not a compliment:

:eek:fftopic: I asked for a classic pageboy cut some time back in the 90s, I'd even gone out of my way to find a jumbo sized air curler and the guy who cut my hair who was in late middle age, said I resembled some "famous" entertainer" he'd met while on leave in Bangkok (I didn't ask when or what he worked with at the time):eusa_doh: I don't remember what he said her "name" was but it sounded very exotic and very unlikely to be anyone's real name but he said her name like anyone who'd been "on leave in Bangkok" would know who she was. Uhuh...:eek: I never grew to like that pageboy he cut.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
A few weekends ago I was wearing pearls, a cashmere sweater, and a pencil skirt and I got... Margaret Thatcher!:eek: Hahaha! I didn't take it as a compliment at first, but the young British man explained that it was because I was such a beautiful, strong woman who could carry of the look. He went on and on about how attractive I was, apologizing for offending me, and ended up making out with me for hours...
:eek:fftopic: Since he was gay, this was even more of a compliment!
margaret_thatcher_wedding.jpg

Margaret Thatcher 1951

Marla

A-List Customer
The biggest outpouring of compliments I have received about my vintage wear was at an annual "Jazz Jamboree" in Sun Valley a few months ago. I love big bands, but mostly went to see the swing dancing. When I arrived to buy a ticket the people thought I was one of the professional swing dancers highered for the event on the account of how I was dressed!

For the rest of the day people kept coming up to me to ask when and where I was going to be dancing so they could see me dance. Ironically, I looked more vintage than the actual dancers who were in jeans and t-shirts (even the girls!).

Now, I don't even know how to swing dance!!lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
amazing compliments last night at the ball, but the funniest one was from a stranger. I was waiting at a bus stop to catch the night bus home, a guy walks past, does a double take and says stunned 'oh my god, it's Dita von Teese!!' Now, I do not (unfortunately) look anything like her, except my hair is dark and I wear red lipstick, but I was still very amused by his reaction! He then apologised for being so loud and ungentlemanly but carried on saying I looked lovely.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Bit of a downer from me girls..
I keep getting negative comments from my friend( who is one of my best friends for probably the longest out of any of my friends).
She just kind of snorts when she sees me, and shakes her head, and has made some really negative comments.
I feel quite bummed about this, because her opinion means a lot to me.
Also because - in the process of doing my 24/7 vintage project I have discovered that i am shockingly vain!
This of course puts a big dent in my ego!!
OH NO MIND THE EGO!!
actaully - looking at it like that, maybe the universe has put her there to make sure I get a few good doses of reality and keep my head in check!

MizzStephens

New in Town
I know how you feel! When I first began dressing vintage, one of my best friends at the time would say some pretty rude things. She called me Mrs. Doubtfire, said I looked like a couch...etc. :rolleyes: She liked to point out to others how silly I looked and encourage them to make jokes. Most of my other friends thought it was good fun but it did hurt my feelings. Anyway...I ramble. But yes, that's unfortunate. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael