Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Companies in US that do custom work AND use steerhide as thick as Aero??

JLStorm

Practically Family
I promised myself I wouldnt order a 3rd custom jacket until I finished grad school and I just graduated. However, I haven't kept up with the prices and itseems they went up once or twice 2010. Now, that in and of itself isnt a show stopper and I think I can scratch together a few hundred more dollars over the next few months. My concern is that once I add shipping and the apparently higher import and handling fees, I'll most likely end up spending yet another $250 - $300 USD in addition to the jacket cost. That really crosses the barrier of what I can spend.

I've stuck with Aero because the service is great, the quality is amazing, but mostly when I ask for the heaviest steerhide they can find, they really come through for me. I'd love to stay with them, but I just don't know that I can due to the shipping and import costs.

I may have to settle for no new jacket, but I figured I'd ask if any US makers that do custom work and can use steerhide between 5oz and 6 oz? I know Aero says its pushing the limit of what their sewing machines can handle, but they manage to do it. Additionally, I'm thinking that in the US even without the exchange rate and the shipping, it would likely end up costing more, but I figured it couldnt hurt to check around.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
Johnson Leather Company, San Francisco is one such company. They have two heavyweight leathers in cow. One is what they use for the Japanese market, and the other is even heavier--I wouldn't want any part of it. The one for the Japanese market is the same weight as Aero and Vanson.

For men with relatively trim bodies, the custom work may not even be necessary, as Johnson does a trim fitting jacket as its standard offering--no belts or side buckles needed. If you should need the custom jacket, it is around $700 to $800, with the heavier leather. The standard off the shelf with the heavier leather is about $600 to $650 including shipping.

After an order is placed they will send a test jacket in the size you request, and you go from there. They don't charge for simple modifications, such as a liner change, but other modifications probably will cost you. As they sell to police motorcycle units in the area, they do an excellent interior pistol pocket to fit specific pistols.

Their standard jacket is a 3.5 oz. cow, which I think is too light for a dedicated motorcycle jacket. It is about the same weight as the Schott, and many other, MC jackets. Many of the law enforcement MC units use that, so I guess it works. For me, I like a heavier leather. I did get one of their 3.5 oz. jackets for a street jacket. I liked it so well I got another in the heavier leather for MC use only. It will take about a year to get it broken in.

Edit Note: I lost my internet connection, and by the time I got it back and posted, I noticed GHQ1 had already made his comment. So, yes, I obviously agree with GHQ1.

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks guys. I had checked out their website, but I didn't pursue it as it looked like they only made motorcycle jackets, with the exception of one A2 style jacket. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Will said my last Aero was from 5.5 - 6.5 oz, I guess it was a small roll that they had for a while and never used. I'd love to get something the same weight. I'll have to see if Johnson's Leather can do what I want which is sort of a cross between a highwayman and G1 style (sounds weird I know).

JLStorm

Practically Family
They also do full on custom design work.
Thanks. I figured they didn't because their custom section of the website only showed motorcycle jackets from what I recall. If I could get a jacket with the thickness of this Aero and pay less than $850.00 for it I'd be thrilled, but I can probably go up to $925 before I would feel too guilty about spending the money to pursue it.

I think my Aero weighs between 12 and 13 pounds and still stands up on its own after 2 years of wear (see photo). I figured that would be all but impossible from anyone else. This is good news!

ec893154.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey JLStorm;

Congratulations on grad school completion.

My suggestion is to call Fox Creek Leather out of Virginia. Their jackets are made with 4-5 oz. cowhide to start with. Their prices are usually undercutting everybody else and the quality is outstanding. I don't know if they do custom work, and of course that's always a stumbling block. But if they do, maybe they can scource that super heavyweight hide you desire and you can save some serious money. Some time ago I had one of their off the rack jackets and it was hovering around 7 pounds.

Good Luck and..

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
Thanks. I figured they didn't because their custom section of the website only showed motorcycle jackets from what I recall. ..

A friend of mine received a custom Johnson jacket about 6 months ago.
He was looking for a double breasted "rocket man" kind of look.
He lives in the Bay Area..so went in to see what they could offer.
Sat down with one of the designers....told him what he was looking for. Designer came up with some ideas/sketches, pulled out different leathers/colors to look at. Took some measurements....made a cloth version of the jacket to try out for fit and design.
Ended up with a bit of a different design than what he was originally thinking of. (Some of the things my friend was thinking of would not have worked well on a leather jacket). Went with a very heavy buffalo hide.
Very nice jacket.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks for this thread. I'm on a vegetarian diet where I'm losing a pound a week and I told myself that when I level off I'm going to get myself a trim jacket. Johnson leathers is starting to look like a real possibility. I love the fact that I can visit some friends in San Francisco and actually go in for a fitting/design consultation. I'm not in love with anything on their website, but if they do custom work that's another story. I could really see getting something like their cafe racer, but with belt loops and a functioning belt around the waist.

P.S. I have a new avatar (that's not me). I want to get a trim A2 also. That's how I want it to fit.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Thanks for all of the input. I wish I could visit Johnson Leathers too. I used to travel quite a bit and was in or through San fran often, but no more. I'll contact Johnson and Fox Creek tomorrow, as well as Aero and see which option makes the most sense.

Thanks again!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Alan at Johnson Knows vintage patterns well.
i have a few off the shelf & a custom or 2,
they do excellent on repair or alteration on some of my HorseHides
he has a Killer leather that resembles H/H in black but its cow.....
its black but colored over Brown so Guarranted to patina Beautifully.
maybe they can send you a Sample it looks just like my Black Aero Hwy man
im gonna have them make me something like a half belt with a pleated back
later this year with that leather

jksu

Familiar Face
Hey JLStorm;

Congratulations on grad school completion.

My suggestion is to call Fox Creek Leather out of Virginia. Their jackets are made with 4-5 oz. cowhide to start with. Their prices are usually undercutting everybody else and the quality is outstanding. I don't know if they do custom work, and of course that's always a stumbling block. But if they do, maybe they can scource that super heavyweight hide you desire and you can save some serious money. Some time ago I had one of their off the rack jackets and it was hovering around 7 pounds.

Good Luck and..

Regards,
coffee

a second for fox creek.

heaviest leather jacket i own by far (my grayson is 7lbs on electronic scale) compared to 3-5lbs for various schott, aero, dainese.

but it's a very supple full grain leather they use - not stiff like my aero. i love both for different reasons but just pointing out the difference. whereas the aero highwayman's oil pull fqhh is waxy and stiff with clear creases and develops a nice patina with use, the fox creek looks brand new after 3 years and feels like a second skin. love the contrast when i go between the 2.

johnson sounds great. look forward to seeing the jacket you have made.

i'm so enamored with aero right now though, if i were in the market it'd have to be an aero, even if it meant saving pennies for a few more months

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
I got a response back from Aero and I havent ruled them out, but I am going to continue looking. The cost for the jacket including shipping and duties would be somewhere between $1200 and $1300 USD, which is close to twice what my last two were and probably beyond what i would feel comfortable spending. I'm awaiting clarification, but it also sounds like they may not have the steerhide thickness I'd like. I'll see what US manufacturers say. I was waiting to hear back from Johnson Leather today, but did not.

Edward

Bartender
The other option is Lost Worlds - I *think* they do steer, anyhow.... and I've never heard of a jacket coming from Stuart that didn't weigh a tonne - I believe he is known to tell those who ask for a lighter hide that they are simply not "manly" enough for a Lost Worlds jacket.. lol I know he has a reputation for being a little eccentric, but based on examples of his work I have seen and the B3 I own, I really cannot fault the quality of his product. Works out much pricier than Aero coming this direction, but for you in the US it might work. If ever again the dollar takes the dive it did around 2007, I have my eye on one of his B2s.

Peacoat

Bartender
I doubt that Stuart would be willing to work with him on what he wants, and Johnson won't have a hide that will weigh out to 12 to 15 lbs. for the jacket. My Johnson is about the same weight as my Vanson and my Aero at 7 to 7.5 lbs. If Aero still has that extra heavy hide, that might be the only option.

BTW, congratulations on the graduate degree. I remember when I got mine years ago (more years than I want to remember), and it was a good feeling to have completed three years of hard work.

D

Deleted member 16736

Alan at Johnson Knows vintage patterns well.
i have a few off the shelf & a custom or 2,
they do excellent on repair or alteration on some of my HorseHides
he has a Killer leather that resembles H/H in black but its cow.....
its black but colored over Brown so Guarranted to patina Beautifully.
maybe they can send you a Sample it looks just like my Black Aero Hwy man
im gonna have them make me something like a half belt with a pleated back
later this year with that leather

I have a jacket in this leather I'll be selling on the Lounge when I can snap a picture. I find the leather too heavy to wear. It's about as heavy as FQHH.

As time has gone by, I've added more jackets and have an array of weights and styles. Just one is hard to live with - esp if it's a heavy Steer/Horse, etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
As time has gone by, I've added more jackets and have an array of weights and styles. Just one is hard to live with - esp if it's a heavy Steer/Horse, etc.

Yep, I like the heavyweight stuff for motorcycle riding, but like a 3.5 to 3.75 for regular street wear. Once the heavy stuff gets broken in and softens up, it is OK for street wear also.

I just counted my leather jackets and have 15 of them, at least that I could find. There may be another one or two lurking about that I didn't see.

Yep, I like the heavyweight stuff for motorcycle riding, but like a 3.5 to 3.75 for regular street wear. Once the heavy stuff gets broken in and softens up, it is OK for street wear also.I just counted my leather jackets and have 15 of them, at least that I could find. There may be another one or two lurking about that I didn't see.
lolI have my count down to 8 leather and 5 cloth. Have a couple on the chopping block as I have a new GW next month. It's hard, but I do try to do a one in, one out routine...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner