Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison - Wesco Mr Lou to John Lofgren Engineer

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So here's the Size 12D to Size 12D compairson photos, I recieved my new pair of Wesco Mr Lou's last week, and finally had a sunny day to shoot them outside next to the Lofgren's. These were my third pair ordered through Baker's boots, which provided great customer service on all 3 pair I have purchased through them. Reccommend Kyle in Customer Service as he helped dial in my fit on the first pair of White's a few years back.

Here are the more apple to apple photos:
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8269.JPG
IMG_8270.JPG

A couple more observations now that I have had the JL's a while and the new Wesco's are here:
  • The Mister Lou's do run a bit more narrow. Perfect for my feet as ideally I am a 11.5/12C and these fit perfect all around
  • The heel shape of the JL's are quite a bit more shaped - the Wesco's are a bit more blocky
  • Generally the Wesco's feel more work-oriented
  • The Lofgren's are showing quite a bit more teacore in the Horween (steerhide) leather
  • Wesco's in these photos are only tried on - saving for "good" use
  • JL's work for "all day" comfort and have moulded very well to my feet. Very happy with them.

fulcanelli

New in Town
watch this video dr sole from taiwan resole-ing a pair of lofgren boots

Those are a different model though. I’d be pretty surprised if the lofgren engineers have a memory foam foot bed - that would suck really hope it’s not the case.

johanhej

Familiar Face
Anyone have hands on experience between same size John Lofgren engineer and Wesco MP 1339?

I’m like 11.4 brannock. Have previously tried Wesco MP 1339 in sizes
-11.5D: absolutely swimming in heel space.
-11E: decent fit except for tie box. Was crushing sides of ties especially. Wish size was just a hair bigger with bigger toe box.

Unsure if 11D or 11.5D is right in John Lofgren.

Thanks, have a nice weekend.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Anyone have hands on experience between same size John Lofgren engineer and Wesco MP 1339?

-11E: decent fit except for tie box. Was crushing sides of ties especially. Wish size was just a hair bigger with bigger toe box.

So I had the "MP" toes on a pair of Wesco Boss 7500's a couple years back that I purchased as 12D's. They would not fit my feet at all correctly. I run "11.5C" on a Brannock device. My Left foot is slightly longer than my right, which is typical for a Right handed individual. What I found was the toe box was both too narrow and too "low" meaning the leather would rub the tops of my larger toe. It was never comfortable. I wound up selling those on.

No issues with the 12D's mentioned above from either maker.

johanhej

Familiar Face
So I had the "MP" toes on a pair of Wesco Boss 7500's a couple years back that I purchased as 12D's. They would not fit my feet at all correctly. I run "11.5C" on a Brannock device. My Left foot is slightly longer than my right, which is typical for a Right handed individual. What I found was the toe box was both too narrow and too "low" meaning the leather would rub the tops of my larger toe. It was never comfortable. I wound up selling those on.

No issues with the 12D's mentioned above from either maker.

Oh I must've misinterpreted your initial review in terms of the "11.5C". Typically, stockists tend to recommend going down -0.5 from Brannock size, but you seem to go pretty much the opposite with +0.5, noted the extra room.

Do you think it'd be reasonable for you to be wearing size 11, considering your 11.5 Brannock, or would it just be uncomfortably tight?

I had never heard of left foot being longer for right handed people. My right foot is actually bigger than left, even though primarily right handed.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

I have and have had a similar experience. Mp toe just doesn’t work for me. Sizi g up increases instep volume and heel space so its a no go. That is how i arrived at Lofgren. Just a better fit for me. Wesco are very nice boots but i’d need to go custom which i’d prefer not to do. I can wear Wesco boss toe, i just dont think the look as good.

Also 10 brannock, 9.5 in both makers

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Oh I must've misinterpreted your initial review in terms of the "11.5C". Typically, stockists tend to recommend going down -0.5 from Brannock size, but you seem to go pretty much the opposite with +0.5, noted the extra room.

Do you think it'd be reasonable for you to be wearing size 11, considering your 11.5 Brannock, or would it just be uncomfortably tight?

I had never heard of left foot being longer for right handed people. My right foot is actually bigger than left, even though primarily right handed.

Sizing of these is indeed tricky, as most are off the rack and the JL's run a tad wider than the Wesco Mr. Lou's. Wesco will make you a pair to size - but best to call them or Baker's boots direclty and describe your sizing with them. Thier website shows the Mr Lou's only as Stock boots, just call them they will help.

No the Size 11 (Wesco) was too short - toes on both feet against the end of the boot. The 12D Wesco's are perfect - I can wear with standard socks. the JL's require 2 pair of sock, which is no issue this time of year at all.

Last edited:

Dmartin

New in Town
Since you own both boots and I am currently looking into a Mister Lou.
I have the Lofgren Engineer in a 10 and it fits perfectly in the right foot (slightly bigger than my left one) and a tad loose on the left, but nothing a half insole couldn't manage. I like the toe box and room inside. Width ist great but could handle slightly narrower, similar to an iron ranger which is definitely narrower than the Lofgren. Heel slip is there but not to the extreme.
Same size boot, the Mister Lou is the same length as the Lofgren?
Is the Mister Lou toe box noticeably narrower?
How about the instep? I would say I have a rather high arch and it is pain in the butt to step in the Lofgrens; once in however, all fine.
Thanks for the help.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Since you own both boots and I am currently looking into a Mister Lou.
I have the Lofgren Engineer in a 10 and it fits perfectly in the right foot (slightly bigger than my left one) and a tad loose on the left, but nothing a half insole couldn't manage. I like the toe box and room inside. Width ist great but could handle slightly narrower, similar to an iron ranger which is definitely narrower than the Lofgren. Heel slip is there but not to the extreme.
Same size boot, the Mister Lou is the same length as the Lofgren?
Is the Mister Lou toe box noticeably narrower?
How about the instep? I would say I have a rather high arch and it is pain in the butt to step in the Lofgrens; once in however, all fine.
Thanks for the help.

Greetings Dmartin - welcome to FL! You are asking some really good questions here.

In fact I used to have both, I actually returned the Mr. Lou's which I only tried on a few times on carpet. For me, I found the actually walking action of the Mr Lou's to be challenging, it kind of made me feel like I wobbled as I walked. I have observed this trait with more traditional cowboy boots as well. It seems to be something with the instep, however I am not 100% sure I could accurately describe what I was observing. I knew it was not going to work, at least initially.

There are a few parts of me that regret returning the Mr Lou's and not taking the boots by the horns and breaking them in, deal with the uncomfortable walk gait. That is due to the fact that these fit as well as any pull-on boot ever has fit my feet! As far as pulling them on and off - well, that to me is a sign of a well-fitting pull-on boot - it should be at lease somewhat difficult to slide on or off, or it's likely too loose.

Lofgren's to RW IR's - I have a 7 year old pair of IR's that I wear quite a bit still today. Then are 11.5D and very true to size. The Lofgren's are certainly a wider boot, especially though the middle of the footbed. Since the IR's have essentially zero arch support, they will be much easier to pull on or off overall once un-tied.

I would ask the folks at Baker's Boot about sizing recommendations of the Mr. Lou's. Talk with Kyle, he is excellent to work with, and they have a robust return policy in case anything goes wrong with the sizing. Again, to re-state, I only returned the Mr. Lou's due to walking issues, not a fit issue with the boots themselves.

Dmartin

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome and reply, highly appreciated. Guess I will follow your recommendation and talk to Kyle for sizing.
The instep is challenging but I got used to now and it gets better. I tried a pair of Clinch, which to me, are beautiful Engineers and extremely well made. Regardless of the size, I could not manage to get into the boot. The instep is just too narrow for me.
A Mr Lou in the burlap roughout would be the go to.

VestCoast

A-List Customer
Really prefer the double leather insole on the JLs. The single mid sole with the half Vibram sole on the Mr Lou just doesn't sit quite right with me.

Dmartin

New in Town
Just a quick heads up. I decided to go with a custom fit Wesco Boss boot in Burlap Roughout with the Mr Lou specs. That's solves (hopefully) the sizing question. Now the waiting time begins...

Dmartin

New in Town
I received in the meantime a stock Mr Lou in natural CXL, the custom build is still in progress. Size 9.5E works great for me (the Lofgrens are size 10. They are about the same length, but a bit narrower than the Lofgren).
I get now what you mean with "wobbly" feeling walking in the Mr. Lou but I can't say for me that it's annoying. I get used to and think these will become less with wear.
They are night and day compared to the Lofgrens getting in and out.
They are comfy from the beginning but need some break in of course.
Heel slip is not much and I know this will only get better with wear.
They are nicely made, tough to the bones but lack maybe the Japanese perfection of the Lofgrens. You see it on the finish and stichings.
I love em and can't wait for the custom build!

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ This very well describes my impressions too.
It's likely in a year or so another pair of MR Lou's will be ordered via Baker's.
Meanwhile, the Lofgrens just keep creeping wider & wider with use, so they may be up for sale quite soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko