Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Completed Leather Hatbox (picture intensive)

Magus

Practically Family
Greetings all,

This is a hatbox I made for Art Fawcette. He asked that I post the pictures so you all could take peek.

Enjoy,
M

S8000982.jpg
S8000991.jpg

S8000990.jpg
S8001002.jpg

S8000994.jpg
S8000996.jpg

S8001005.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
Very, very nice, that is the best looking hat box I have ever seen, Art will be very happy with it.

Major Moore

Feraud

Bartender
How long did this take to create?
Why did you(or Art) choose the Empire State Building as the picture?

It is an amazing piece of handicraft and the building detail on the strap is sharp.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow!! I've been reading your posts about making a box for quite a while, but had no idea that it would be so beautiful. Congratulations on such a great accomplishment, and get ready for the flurry of requests for more work. That could certainly be a great sideline for you, as I'm sure that we'd be lining up for such nice work. I'd certainly be in line.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Magus

Practically Family
Feraud said:
How long did this take to create?
Why did you(or Art) choose the Empire State Building as the picture?

It is an amazing piece of handicraft and the building detail on the strap is sharp.

My thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Everything on the box is done by hand (except cutting the wood backing supports as I used a table saw for that). It took about 160 hours of work to complete. I asked Art if he had any type of preference and he said, "I'll leave that to you." when I told him I was "feeling" Empire State, he said that sounded good.

Lefty as you entioned "That could certainly be a great sideline for you, as I'm sure that we'd be lining up for such nice work. I'd certainly be in line."

I actually considered that, and spoke with Art about it. Both of us felt that I couldn't charge enough to make it worthwile as a sideline (even at minimum wages, not accounting for supplies it would put the cost over $1000 per box...and who would pay that?) Now...with that said...would I make one at a lower price...for the love of making one....sure....if the person were patient so i could do it over time. :)

Actually he did not want to see it in progess and you are getting to view it before he does...lol

M

Beautiful work indeed Magus!

congratulations - perhaps sometime we can trade some tooling tips and pics together.

I've crafted a few leather boxes and am working out a full guitar case but you're right - you can burn hundreds of hours.

The handle appears to be hand sewn - is everything else or do you use a machine?

What weight tooling leather did you use? The impressions are crisp - is it Hermann Oak?

Magus

Practically Family
Nash Buckingham said:
Beautiful work indeed Magus!

congratulations - perhaps sometime we can trade some tooling tips and pics together.

I've crafted a few leather boxes and am working out a full guitar case but you're right - you can burn hundreds of hours.

The handle appears to be hand sewn - is everything else or do you use a machine?

What weight tooling leather did you use? The impressions are crisp - is it Hermann Oak?

Thanks Nash...I am happy to share tips. The handle, everything in fact, is hand stitched. I cased the handle over a block I made for 3+days after sewing it. The leather is 6/7 oz tooling grade, double shoulders I picked up at the Leather factory I don't recall the tanner as I bought a bunch of it a while back. Not perfectly clear, but I prefer that as it gves the box a bit of "age".

GWD

One Too Many
Wow Magnus! That's awesome! Is that what you had in mind for the Stratoliner box? Are you still working on that one?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow....Mangus

That is one beautiful piece of art indeed.
I can see how proud you are sitting next to it, what a great feeling it is, isn't it?
I'm an artist as well, and when you do a piece for someone special like that, it is a gratifying feeling that you can't really put into words.

Amazing job, Art is gonna be stoked when he see's it......just the thing to make him feel better, for sure. :eusa_clap

Magus

Practically Family
GWD said:
Wow Magnus! That's awesome! Is that what you had in mind for the Stratoliner box? Are you still working on that one?

Thanks GWD,

Actually the strat top is much simpler, art deco, wind currents, asemetrical, and tough to do in leather lol. What is kicking my hinney with it is the unique body shape that I am persuing with it. Now that this one is done i will start fiddling with the strat a bit more.

I do have a pin-up idea brewing as well....

Magus

troy

One of the Regulars
Wow

That is a beautiful piece of work. You should be very proud of this. Anyone would be proud to keep their hat in that.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Magnus, That is a beautiful piece of craftmanship. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'm certain that Art will be thrilled. He may be inspired to make a new Fedora, the "Empire State", in honor of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany