Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering a Stetson Open Road, what pairs well with it?

I was excited to find a hat store in Arizona today, AZ-Tex Hats, it was a cool store and they had a variety or Stetson, Scala, and Resistol hats. Unfortunely all of them were sadly uninspiring, aside from one or two of the outback styled Scala Panama hats. Compared to vintage or custom hats they all felt stiff, unfinished, or just poorly made. The off-the-shelf varieties are pretty sad these days.

They do, or at least did, make custom hats too. Their custom work seemed good on the few that have passed through my hands.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
They do, or at least did, make custom hats too. Their custom work seemed good on the few that have passed through my hands.
I found one or two of their in-house hats that weren't bad, but they weren't properly shaped for my LO head and I couldn't see paying their prices compared to a Wolfbrae or Gannon.

I found one or two of their in-house hats that weren't bad, but they weren't properly shaped for my LO head and I couldn't see paying their prices compared to a Wolfbrae or Gannon.

I’ve only had their custom hats secondhand as eBay finds. Hard to go with another hatter after Wolfbrae, Gannon and I’ll add Northwest. I’ve been wanting another Hufvud, but I can’t pull the trigger for the same reason.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I’ve only had their custom hats secondhand as eBay finds. Hard to go with another hatter after Wolfbrae, Gannon and I’ll add Northwest. I’ve been wanting another Hufvud, but I can’t pull the trigger for the same reason.
I have to add a NW to the collection someday, maybe I'll get one of his Panama's before summer.

Teej

New in Town
AND....here are a couple of Stetson ads showing how they see their hat, note they generally show them with the "rancher" or "cattleman" crease.....though there are many newspaper ads showing them with a fedora pinch. Truman typically always wore his brim up with a fedora pinch as shown in this photo from 1947 (and in a suit, though wears an overcoat here covering his suit). View attachment 439549

I suppose the propensity to show it with the what is now a western style crease (you will rarely see this crease in a western hat prior to 1935 or so when side creases started showing up, though they were different from what we know today) gave them the idea to do the factory crease of the same (and save a few dollars with a lower crown). :rolleyes:

From 1949
View attachment 439508

View attachment 439523
View attachment 439524

Open Road is in the back with the "Rancher" crease...though they were sold open crown. 1948
View attachment 439517

And in 1955 it is shown here with other than the rancher crease...... View attachment 439518

By 1960 it was the best selling western hat.... View attachment 439521

and by 1964 a short brim version "for the city" was made!:oops:
View attachment 439522
AND then there is this ad that from 1949 (originally printed in 1948) that shows INDEED...the Stetson Open Road is good for EVERYONE no matter where you live in the AMERICA!!!:)
View attachment 439540

As an aside Stetson did indeed export hats and had dealers in England & France (and Canada before the purchase of the Brockville plant when they were made there) as early as the 1920's. This French ad is from 1929...but I have earlier ones too...... View attachment 439516
Thank you for sharing this history and the beautiful advertisements.

Teej

New in Town
I've not had much problem with Stetsons. They fit out of the box for me.
Same here for my silverbelly Strat and OR shantung straw. However I ordered a Stratoliner hemp in a 7 1/4 and it felt like a 71/2-3/8. It was huge. Have seen other people experience similar issues w/their hemp models. I returned mine.

Same here for my silverbelly Strat and OR shantung straw. However I ordered a Stratoliner hemp in a 7 1/4 and it felt like a 71/2-3/8. It was huge. Have seen other people experience similar issues w/their hemp models. I returned mine.

My hemp Stratoliner in 7 ⅝ fits like a 7 ⅝. I wish it was a bit closer to 7 ¾.

Mighty44

One Too Many
My hemp Stratoliner in 7 ⅝ fits like a 7 ⅝. I wish it was a bit closer to 7 ¾.
I had to size down from 7 1/8 to 7. It’s a great hat though, my everyday straw during the summer. I generally wear it brim up and snap it down when I’m catching too much sun. Looks great both ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ