Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consumer Products Safety Commision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At the Port of Los Angeles the newspaper said they will be deploying full time safety insectors to continually scrutinize Chinese products.

Now before anyone goes closing this topic, hold your water. I don't know why but topics concerning Chinese economics somehow get viewed as political or something. This is economics not politics!

The Consumer Products Safety Commision will activel test lead paint in toys, the size of small toys relative to age use and choking plus electrical items.

My dismay comes from the fact that we have been getting a steady stream of poisonous junk from China for a year at least and this checking is just finally happening. Literally every week an article, usually buried, names a new problem with a specific Chinese product.

In Christmas 2006 they showed on TV the cheap and faulty tree lights and how they were causing fires. Yet we went through another holiday season awash in the same cheapo lights.

Yeah, I know, if China is the biggest pirater of music and movies in the world copying and applying an Underwriter Laboratory logo to electronic items is child's play.

OK where did corporate American become innocent in responsibility to market safe products? In the past normal operating proceedure would generally be-

- Conceive a product and get bids on price to produce
- Set exact specifications for manufacture
- Produce or import finished product to sell

We must question why American companies, which are no more than distributors now, have not done a better job of scrutinizing their own imports. And our alleged watchdog FDA has allowed tainted ingredients for medicines to be imported.

I feel as though the American companies should be responsible, including monetarily, for the Consumer Products Safety Commision's work at the port. Obviously they can't or won't police their own products.

As I have passed through life I have seen imported items 1st come from Japan. In post-war through the mid 60s they exported heaving masses of purely cheap junk. As time has progressed companies have strived to continully find cheaper and cheaper manufacturers so they can squeeze more and more profit out, often regardless of even the health of their own corporations.

We've gone through Taiwan, Indonesia and other locales that produced cheap products but now evidently can't compete with China.

So what's going to happen when the Chinese quality standards are increased enough that they can no longer produce items at junk prices?

Your thoughts?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fascinating topic, Twitch. However, considering how awry the previous thread on this topic went in the past, we will have to close it.

I'm leaving it up here so members can PM you and discuss it through messages.

Thanks, HJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW