Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converting old typewriters into computers

Corey

New in Town
I've been looking for stuff to decorate my soon to be completed study and thought it might be cool to get a computer that looks more like an old typewriter. If anyone remembers the 80s show "Max Headroom," all the computers used retro 30/40's style keyboards. Anyway, while it doesn't look like anyone actually sells such a product, I did stumble across two websites where individuals made their own. I don't have the technical skills to replicate their efforts, but I thought I'd pass them along in case someone else does.

type08.jpg

(1) http://www.multipledigression.com/type/ (includes step-by-step instructions for converting an old Smith-Corona portable into a functioning keyboard)

underwood0021L.jpg

(2) http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/underwood/ (actually turned an old Underwood No. 5 into a fully functional PC)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Very cool conversion

As a writer who has used a PC since 1982, I would NEVER want to go back to the typewriter days... That said, this is a VERY interesting project and I commend it to all you vintage/techno geeks like me!

shamus

Suspended
First, why would anybody want to do that?

Second, It seems like a cruel thing to do to a perfectly working and beautiful machine.

Third, wouldn't it be incredibly difficult to type on that? Your monitor would have to be a foot off the dest to see over the typewriter.

I view this like those terrible "car make-over shows" They take a great looking car and cut it up to make it "better".

I suggest you leave it sitting on the desk as a nice pice of art and leave the keyboard to the computer...

It's like cutting a vintage fedora into a golf visor "because nobody does that..."

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
steampunk-computer.jpg

It's big in the steampunk community.

This is rather fascinating ...

@ Shamus: this way old spare parts are used to create new out of old. Perfect! :eusa_clap

The steampunk community has fascinated me for some time.

Have a look at 'Mr Datamancer's' Website, in particular this laptop. Although some of his other stuff is questionable ... his computer keyboards are quite neat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21