Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper A-2 question

kampkatz

Practically Family
Well, I ended up buying it for $80. Not sure if that's overpaying or not, but we'll see what kind of shape it's in when it arrives. Like you guys said, I can always re-sell it if I hate it. Good way to sharpen my teeth on a-2's either way.
Jeepjeep13,
For what you paid you did fine. I have a 10 year old Cooper which still looks neat & doesn't show any wear. Enjoy and wear it in any weather. Occasional treatment with saddle soap will keep it supple.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Wow! So, the jacket came in and it's not even close to fitting like a 40L. The shoulders measure about 23" and makes it look like I'm wearing shoulder pads. Also the length is super short measuring at about 25". I think I learned my lesson and I'm going to try and find a US Authentic to make my first a2.

Joel Ross

New in Town
Just picked up this Cooper A2 on Ebay and scored... $17! I made the patch.

Attachments

• IMG_3628 (1).jpg
    IMG_3628 (1).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,637

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Just picked up this Cooper A2 on Ebay and scored... $17! I made the patch.

$17!? That's awesome. Good for you. Is it your size too or did you just buy it because it was a steal? Are you finding the same thing I am with it running a little short in the torso and big in the shoulders?

Joel Ross

New in Town
The Coopers run small. I'm probably a 40 to barely a 42 and the 44 fits good through the body, arms and is a little big in the shoulders, not much though. I've had a 42 and it just looks snug and feels like it when it's zipped. I'm 5'8" and about 170 so that gives you something to compare with. I really don't know how I was able to snag it. It was listed as no damage or repairs but the leather was worn. That was fine with me because I distressed it even more, looking for that aged look. The inside of the jacket was clean as well as the cuffs and waste band were perfect. Truth be told it cost me $18 in shipping! So the total was $35. Still a great deal. It's costing me more for the materials to make the squadron patch and I ordered a custom name tag to cover the stitch holes left when I took off the velcro.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Joel, very nice A2 and patch! I bought Cooper A2, but it has not come to me yet.
You confused me a little by your description, I have almost the same height and weight data as you , and I bought a size 40. According to sellers measurements it should fit me well, but now after I read that you OK in size 44, I'm not sure that did the right thing by buying 40 for myself. In any case, when I get it all will be clear.
And I'm trying to recreate patch 21 Bomb. Squadron. I search in eBay, but there is inaccurate repro.
My wife made this bee, now I'm looking leather for put embroidery patch.

Attachments

• IMG-20161020-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20161020-WA0011.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 2,397
Last edited:

JoelRoss

New in Town
Flight engineer, I have a feeling the 40 be a little tight. I hope not. Let us know how it works out. I picked up some real nice leather for making patches at Michaels. Easy to get a 50% off coupon so cost is $5 in the end. More than enough leather for shoulder patches as well. Thanks for the compliments.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thank you. I will write here, when it comes to me. It may take two weeks. Jacket in Seattle, but I in Moscow))) USPS is not the fastest mail in the world ))).

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
I just found a Cooper a2 in my size (40L) on ebay and it seems like I can get it for practically a song. I've been looking at others (Aero, US Authentic, etc) for a little while now, but think this might be a good one to "sharpen my a-2 teeth on", so to speak. I want one that has a trimmer more "WWII authentic" fit. Any thoughts on how the Cooper brand fits, lads?

if you get the sizing right the Cooper A2s fit very nicely. Im 6'1" 190lbs (I'll add that I have a 42" chest) and the 42L fits me perfectly. I had a couple US Wings A2 jackets and didn't like those at all, they were very blousy and I felt like I was wearing a sleeping bag. In the Cooper I feel trim and sleek. The only downside is your upper range of motion will be just a bit limited as they are trim; I can't wear my Coopers while I'm flying because reaching the radio stack is a little too tight in certain aircraft, so they have to go in the back seat 'till I'm back on the deck.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
This is valuable information, Hypoxic. I hope my 40L will fit me OK. I also tried several US Wings A2 and did not buy them, because they looked like bubble on me.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
This is valuable information, Hypoxic. I hope my 40L will fit me OK. I also tried several US Wings A2 and did not buy them, because they looked like bubble on me.

Not going to hijack the thread but check out JBMilart.com for your patch. Jim did a time worn leather version of the 586th bombardment squadron for me and it came out very nice, and it's on one of my Cooper jackets!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 2,465

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thanks. I'll try to finish with bee. Also I have one good artist, she can make me then the patch on the leather.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
The next step ... tried to find a suitable piece of leather in correct color.
Now I did not understand, I managed to get what I wanted or not. In any case, the original color of leather inner authentic patch image is heavily dependent on the calibration of the monitor.

Attachments

• 20161029_202654.jpg
    20161029_202654.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 2,413
  • 20161029_202615.jpg
    20161029_202615.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 2,466

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Today has received the Cooper. 40L for my 180 sm and 100 sm chest It fit nice, but too wide in shoulders ... despite the fact that my broad shoulders.
But nice jacket, I will try to give it to the atelier and take to make this shoulders smaller.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Thank you Siggmund!
While seamstress working with shoulders of my jacket, a have new idea about patch.
My good friend the artist was able to create this nice crow from 47-th bomb.sqn.
I like it though I asked to do one another one with alligator ( insignia Filorida gunner school circa 1942).

Attachments

• IMG-20161105-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20161105-WA0007.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2,469

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112