Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coordinates please

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It ain't loaded. Anyway, it's perfectly acceptable to wear brown shoes with a blue suit.

dr greg

One Too Many
packin'

It's actually a BB gun type of thing, we couldn't find an imitation Colt 45 for filming, and besides; in this country you need more expensive permits to use replicas than the real thing, so it just had to do in the circumstances.
And I believe the the rule is English..brown shoes with blue suit being seen as lower class.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
A rule of thumb to remember is that brown shoes are always less formal than black. Blue jeans are not even remotely formal at all. A blue suit, on the other hand, is far more formal than blue jeans. Some may consider brown shoes with a blue suit to be ill matched because of the formality of the clothes.

Ultimately, there is not a single blue, and there is not a single brown. The presence of a very large variation of these colours requires that you match them specifically. I don't really think a blanket statement can be made.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of tan shoes which I really like and they look ok with khakis which is mostly what I wear day to day. I have a suit 'in progress' which will bring my suit total up to onelol I figured that the tan shoes will not look 'wrong' with the suit which is black pin stripe. I guess the colour(s) of a tie will play some part here though - I would envisage wearing a white or off white shirt - What happens when I get a hat though ? There will be a different look altogether and the question of hat colour will be all important in the overall look, am I right ?

Colin

TanJonesOxford.jpg

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Hmm. The shoes with the tan pants - you would want a belt that matched the shoes. A shirt that did not contrast too strongly, and a tie with elements of both the pants and shoes in it. It is easy for this combination to go very badly.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think it's seen as more of a colour clash- but really, a contrast is good.
True, there is 'brown' and 'brown', which makes a difference.
I don't think it's a class thing- more of a RULE thing.
Black shoes are only really a rule for very formal and Evening dress.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav