Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My grampa gave one of his to me when I was a kid. It was probably from the 50s. Grey-brown corduroy. I loved it!

I guess all the German caps are in Chile ...

aught12

One of the Regulars
I am very pleased with this Cordova cap, and Johnny made the buying experience easy and pleasant.

cap1-275.jpg

cap2-275.jpg

cap3-275.jpg

cap4-275.jpg

Thanks, Jeff

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The top of the cap is sewed to the bottom section
of the cap. Leaving a circular seam. With the snap set back
more of the brim would be showing. Shame the are such a small size.

Yeah, it look like these caps, like many British caps of the era, are made of 3 pieces. The top and rear of the cap are one piece, typically with a dart or two at the rear. The sides and front (unseen when snapped) are one piece also, and join to the top piece across the front - the seam sweeping back and ending just above the ears. The brim forms the third piece.

I've also seem some with the top fo the cap being a single circular piece, so the seam goes all the way around the top of the cap, rather than to just behind the ear level.

bk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Finally cap wearing time in Minnesota. The morning 50'F weather is cap time!

Mid summer I got a Johnny J, Cordova Cap. The leather band wore like a champ this morning during my morning chores and dog walk. Sweet cap. I am new to caps. I am new especially to caps of this dimension, drape and style. I was puzzled by my reflection iin the lake. It is a new look for me.

Here are a bunch of pics of my cap.
IMG2800-M.jpg

IMG2802-M.jpg

IMG2801-M.jpg

IMG2808-M.jpg

IMG2803-M.jpg

IMG2807-M.jpg

Enjoying the cooler weather. Cap mornings here! Eric -

Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but that brim looks MASSIVE.

If your username is accurate, I as a very short man have found that many vintage caps are just way too big for my frame. I've been through about 20 1930s caps, and have only had about 3 or 4 that really suit my build.

Johnny, do you adjust the dimensions of the caps based on the head size?

bk

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but that brim looks MASSIVE.

If your username is accurate, I as a very short man have found that many vintage caps are just way too big for my frame. I've been through about 20 1930s caps, and have only had about 3 or 4 that really suit my build.

Johnny, do you adjust the dimensions of the caps based on the head size?

bk

Yes, but that was my first cap for Eric and it definitely needs to come down some. I already adjusted the brim size on all my caps cause I was using a pattern that was a little too long so I'm pretty sure that now I will get it right.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yes, but that was my first cap for Eric and it definitely needs to come down some. I already adjusted the brim size on all my caps cause I was using a pattern that was a little too long so I'm pretty sure that now I will get it right.

Thanks Johnny for the swift post.

Guys, as Johnny J posted, this was the first cap for me. Another one is in the works. Johnny J has only been proffesional and client centric in his work with me on a cap. I am completely satisfied that his skills and artisian work are top notch. I am confident and staying the course. Johnny J has produced some exceptional work recently! Truly fantastic caps.

Each of us are vastly different in outlook and background. In commisioning a cap from Cordova Caps, I believe that it will take some effort from both myself and Johnny J to get to an end goal. My efforts have to recognize that I am a hard client; Short (5'3"), Balding (small head), slight-normal frame (130#), a wearer of attire (hats/caps included) in Minnesota weather and sensibilities that are conservative in nature. Top that by being a "brand" new cap wearer - I am a challenge. My only caps were purchased last winter. I have only worn hats for a short time. Johnny's efforts have been supreme. We have all watched his considerable skills improve vastly. This is easily deomonstarted by the many pics posted on this thread. His commisions live in the public eye. That is a tough audience. Much less that cap fanatics are his first customers. ;)

The above is my attempt to clarify what I hope will not be a discouragement to current/future Cordova Cap owners. Rather to show, from my lone perspective, that I am a satisfied client and working on the next cap. Imperfect cap on my head -true. BUT, it is heads and tails over any cap I have purchased or even seen ina retail store. It is a FINE cap.

Proud owner and expectant client, Eric -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL