Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Well said Eric, I too am a first time client of Johnny and just received my first Cordova cap with your same reservations as to being a cap guy. It is a fine piece of craftsmanship and I'll try and post some pixs later. Mine is just a smidge too big and I blame myself since I supplied the measurement. I mentioned this to Johnny when I let him know the cap arrived stating it was my own fault, his reply was I could send it back and he'd take it in a bit. That's client centric as Eric stated. Think I need to get used to it before I decide on the alteration but knowing Johnny stands behind his work makes me a happy capper.

Yes, indeed. Agreed on all points. Short Balding Guy, except the balding (well, I've started to go a little at the temples now in my 30s - thanks for the genes, dad :eusa_doh:) we sound pretty much identical in build etc. I know how hard caps can be for our frame!

JohnnyJ's stuff looks excellent!

bk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yes, indeed. Agreed on all points. Short Balding Guy, except the balding (well, I've started to go a little at the temples now in my 30s - thanks for the genes, dad :eusa_doh:) we sound pretty much identical in build etc. I know how hard caps can be for our frame! JohnnyJ's stuff looks excellent! bk

JK, what caps worked for you? Just curious. I have gone thru the thread again scouring for pics. I sourced the Thorpy thread for pics. I checked the merchant sights for cap pics. Any insights?

Hey fellows if you have an opinion, yell.

Capped and looking to be capped tomorrow, Eric -

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I found that I liked a 10 1/2 dia cap. With a smaller head and even smaller Diameter might be needed. The smaller dia. with let the top of your head hit the top of the crown raising up the sides of the cap some. Cap size like brim size on a fedora is a matter of customer's taste.
An extra full cut cap takes a lot of swagger to wear right.:)

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I am pretty sure that Erics cap looks so large on pics because of the camera angle. Especially with wide angels lenses things can distort a lot if you take your picture with an extended arm.
Apart from that Johnnys caps are my favourites! The 20ies style is truly unique here and I don´t think that you can buy a 20ies look cap here in Germany. Where Ed is right about the
the swagger for wearing extra full cut caps I alweays feel that the Ivy or circular seem kind of cap might look a little square these days (YMMV).

I have two of Johnnys caps now and I will be a returning customer for sure!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Inspired by flat-top's order posted here earlier, I ordered a brown Donegal like his. Looks like Thunderball's cap too. I am very pleased with my first custom cap and thanks go to Johnny.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Tried a noggin self portrait but it was unsat so maybe later.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer

What throws me off about this cap is that the cloth on its crown has been placed so that the warp runs from side to side, instead of from front to back. This looks 'jarring' to me: akin to having a pinstripe suit whose stripes run horizontally, instead of vertically. Then again, 99.99% of all human beings would neither notice nor care, so my opinion is worthless.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Inspired by flat-top's order posted here earlier, I ordered a brown Donegal like his. Looks like Thunderball's cap too. I am very pleased with my first custom cap and thanks go to Johnny.

IMG_0181.jpg

Tried a noggin self portrait but it was unsat so maybe later.

Mike, beauty Cap, really. Congrats!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
What throws me off about this cap is that the cloth on its crown has been placed so that the warp runs from side to side, instead of from front to back. This looks 'jarring' to me: akin to having a pinstripe suit whose stripes run horizontally, instead of vertically. Then again, 99.99% of all human beings would neither notice nor care, so my opinion is worthless.

Paul, I wouldn't say your opinion is worthless but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. To my eye the fabric runs in a cross "X" pattern. If by "warp" you mean it flops side to side I believe that's the intent with this cap style. Front to back "warp" in controlled by how far you pull the back band down.

Mike, Randall, Manfred, thanks. The weather is changing fast over here so looking forward to trying something new to warm the noggin.

Last edited:

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Paul, I wouldn't say your opinion is worthless but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. To my eye the fabric runs in a cross "X" pattern. If by "warp" you mean it flops side to side I believe that's the intent with this cap style. Front to back "warp" in controlled by how far you pull the back band down.

By "warp", I mean the set of lengthwise yarns (or threads) that are held in tension on a frame or loom. The set of yarns (or threads) that are inserted over-and-under the warp threads are called the weft.

The cap's fabric has been set into the crown so that the lengthwise yarns (warp) are running 'east-west', rather than 'north-south'. In other words, the warp is going in the 'direction' that the weft would normally go. Imagine a herringbone tweed jacket whose herringbone stripes ran sideways, rather than up-and-down. This is what I mean by "jarring".

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, when I cut out the pattern from this fabric I was deciding on that, since when the fabric is layed flat the warp runs like in an angle instead of up and down, so I just decided from what angle it should run.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Paul, out of curiosity I googled "cloth warp" and see that it is a technical term regarding the weave. I still don't see what your referring too but my eye isn't trained in the field of weaving or nice suites for that matter. Bottom line, however the warp is laid I'm happy with the cap but can't rule out I'll understand your critical (as in expertise, not to criticize) eye someday. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :)

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
..totally off-topic but this talk of warp and weft reminds me of my days working knitting machines in a textile factory. That place hot in the summer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL